Low Impact ways to build leg muscle mass?

Old November 4th 03, 06:13 AM
Mike Beauchamp

Default Low Impact ways to build leg muscle mass?

Hey all..
I'm trying to get a bit of an excercise plan set for this winter. I'm not
training for anything specific, I just want to lose a bit of weight and be
faster on the bike next summer, and more fit in general.

I'd like to build up leg muscle, which I figure would require weight lifting
excercises. The problem with that is that about 6 years ago, I had a
dislocated patella (playing hockey) and had a few knee surguries. My knee
definately feels stable now, but some of the leg excercises just plain scare
me. It's probably a mental block, but still. Just doing a dry lifting action
with my leg (raising my foot up while sitting in a chair) makes some
cracking noises that I really hate, and feel like they are very damaging. So
I hate doing that movement, and would definately NOT want to do it with
weight on my leg.

Squats seem scary, especially with a lot of weight. With a bit of weight, I
don't mind them. Calf raises are no problem, and neither are the leg curls
that work the hamstring. I'm not familiar with the names of the muscle
groups, or much about the excercises, but, it seems like the main muscles
used in cycling would be in the front of the thigh.. so, not wanting to do
leg extensions, I don't really know how else to develop those muscles. Leg
presses maybe? (although I don't have equipment for that)

For equipment, I really only have rollers. My guess is that the lack of
resistance on rollers wouldnt' really lend themselves towards building
muscle mass... Maybe if I had something with a lot of resistance, sort of
like climbing a really steep hill?

As you can see, I'm new to the whole body/physical side.. I usually just
ride.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Old November 4th 03, 07:04 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Mike Beauchamp" wrote:

[...]

Aiee! I'm not a doctor or even much of an exerciser, but you of all
people really need to talk to a physiotherapist or similar expert about
the appropriate plan of action. For one thing, maybe they can come up
with something that will stop those noises from happening.

Stamp out patellar tendonitis,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old November 4th 03, 08:11 AM
Mike Beauchamp

Thanks for the reply, I've had them since surgury and all through
physiotherapy. They aren't NOISES really, I guess I described them wrong.
It's just a bit of a grinding I can feel at one point in the kneecap's
travel. I remember the physiotherapist saying something about it, and that
it would either stay like that or eventually stop in time..

I agree that I should talk to a physiotherapist though, but since I'm not in
therapy any more, I'm not quite sure how to go talk to one..

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Old November 4th 03, 12:30 PM
-= Ratz O. Fratzo =-

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 03:11:55 -0500, "Mike Beauchamp"
wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I've had them since surgury and all through
physiotherapy. They aren't NOISES really, I guess I described them wrong.
It's just a bit of a grinding I can feel at one point in the kneecap's
travel. I remember the physiotherapist saying something about it, and that
it would either stay like that or eventually stop in time..

I agree that I should talk to a physiotherapist though, but since I'm not in
therapy any more, I'm not quite sure how to go talk to one..

I know where you're coming from. I shattered my heel three years ago
and the end result was having my subtalar joint fused. I have limited
movement in my ankle now and the single joint I have is crunchy at
times. Every time I ask my ankle to do something strenuous, I get
that "am I going to break it again?" feeling. I was told by my
surgeon that the only way to resolve the "crunchy" feel was
arthroscopic surgery to clean out the joint. No, thanks. I've had
enough surgery on my ankle to last me a lifetime.

Recently, I had a rare complication of diabetes (high glucose levels)
in which I had grand mal seizures, most likely non stop over a eight
hour period. When I was transported to the hospital, I was strapped
to the stretcher and continued to have seizures in which my arms were
pulling against the restraints. Now both of my shoulders have that
"crunchy" thing going on. I never had that before.

So anymore, riding my bike is about the only thing I dare do. It's
pain free, unless I ride too long and it's helping me get fit again.

*´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·- Ratz O. Fratzo
Old November 4th 03, 12:57 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
[...]

Some rollers allow you to add resistance, such as a magnetic module or
a wind-resistance module. Is that an option for you? If you're
looking at spending money anyway, what about getting a trainer with an
adjustable resistance?

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old November 4th 03, 01:10 PM
Pat

Thanks for the reply, I've had them since surgury and all through
physiotherapy. They aren't NOISES really, I guess I described them wrong.
It's just a bit of a grinding I can feel at one point in the kneecap's
travel. I remember the physiotherapist saying something about it, and that
it would either stay like that or eventually stop in time..

I agree that I should talk to a physiotherapist though, but since I'm not

in
therapy any more, I'm not quite sure how to go talk to one..

Mike

Go talk to the one who treated you earlier. She/he will be flattered most
likely. Once, when I was in therapy, a man walked in off the street and
started asking questions. Later, my therapist told me that it's some kind of
regulation that they have to answer questions even if people aren't their
patients. Besides, she said they were glad to do it.

Also, my Ortho doc told me stair climbing is good. He said, "Go up but ride
the elevator down." Maybe you can find a building and do that a bit every
day.

Pat in TX

Old November 4th 03, 02:06 PM
Roger Zoul

Mike Beauchamp wrote:
:: Hey all..
:: I'm trying to get a bit of an excercise plan set for this winter.
:: I'm not training for anything specific, I just want to lose a bit of
:: weight and be faster on the bike next summer, and more fit in
:: general.
::
[...]

You want the leg press. It will develop mainly your quads, but your hams and
glutes factor in as well. There will be no lifting action at your knee like
in a leg extension (please avoid these -- they can cause serious problems if
done incorrectly). The leg press with strengthen your knees, too, and help
improve your biking. Just start with very light weight and work up slowly.
Pay attention to form, too.

Leg press is sometimes recommended for cyclist in some books.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...5LegPress.html

Old November 4th 03, 03:02 PM
Phil

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message ...
[...]

I'm no doctor, and don't know much about your problem, but it looks
like anything you could do to gain muscle may cause knee problems. If
you want to work out those muscles, your knee is going to have stess
on it in one way or another, I just don't see any way around that.

You are on the right track to lose weight and increase your fitness
with weights, but you still will need some form of cardio for optimum
results.

I would definately stay away from any leg extensions (like you
described as sitting on the chair and lifting your leg), as they put a
lot of force on the knee. You are better off with squats, deadlifts,
and to a lesser extent, presses. Squats are not as dangerous as many
people think if done correctly. I would argue they are the best and
most important lift of any weight program. If higher weights bother
you, you can make up for that somewhat with higher reps. The key is to
only do as much weight as you can maintain proper form with, and not
to use machines, which don't allow for proper form. Again, I am
unsure of your specific problem, you will need to seek a professional
rather than internet help there.

You might want to check out misc.fitness.weights as well. There are a
lot of jerks there, but a lot of very knowledgable people as well and
a lot of great advice.
Old November 4th 03, 03:59 PM
Top Sirloin

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...um=100&hl= en

--
Scott Johnson
"Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are
Old November 4th 03, 06:15 PM
trg

Go see a physio. Although avoiding leg extensions may seem like a good idea
because of the way they feel when you do them, they may in fact be just what
you need to compensate for your knee infirmity (done properly and with the
right weight of course). I've had quite a a bit of knee problems and surgery
(though not your specific complaints)- different ligaments and bones broken-
and extensions were always part of my therapy. The theory being that if the
muscles (quads in this case) are strengthened, it takes pressure off the
knee and ligaments. Again, talk to a physiotherapist, not just those of us
who play one in ngs.