SMH: Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

Old October 3rd 06, 06:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Default SMH: Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

Shabby Wrote:
We've already got them here......

Here's two new ones on Queens Parade, we'd like a green lane treatment
across to Heidelberg Rd too, but we're working on that.

Befo
http://static.flickr.com/24/41398362_563dc74dfe_o.jpg

After:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16115722@N00/216703899/

--
cfsmtb

Old October 3rd 06, 07:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman

cfsmtb Wrote:
Here's two new ones on Queens Parade, we'd like a green lane treatment
across to Heidelberg Rd too, but we're working on that.

Befo
http://static.flickr.com/24/41398362_563dc74dfe_o.jpg

After:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16115722@N00/216703899/

reckon green lane treatment across all intersections to continue bike
lanes , shows drivers riders are legitimate traffic and entitled to the
roadway AT the intersection as well as not just in the lanes....

darn traffic engineers have a lot to answer for about that crazy design
feature of disaapearing bike lanes on all marked bike laned roads (with
but a few exceptions....)

--
rooman

Old October 3rd 06, 07:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

rooman Wrote:
reckon green lane treatment across all intersections to continue bike
lanes , shows drivers riders are legitimate traffic and entitled to the
roadway AT the intersection as well as not just in the lanes....

darn traffic engineers have a lot to answer for about that crazy design
feature of disaapearing bike lanes on all marked bike laned roads (with
but a few exceptions....)

Totally agree Rooman. I'd use Blackburn Rd for commuting (and would
commute more often) if not for the bad case of "where did that bike
lane go?" syndrome (well that's my excuse for now!).

--
warrwych

Old October 3rd 06, 07:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

rooman Wrote:

darn traffic engineers have a lot to answer for about that crazy design
feature of disaapearing bike lanes on all marked bike laned roads (with
but a few exceptions....)

Or they should install signage like; "Please use teleporter here..."

More on Green lanes:
http://tinyurl.com/ek3fr

--
cfsmtb

Old October 3rd 06, 07:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
flyingdutch

rooman Wrote:
reckon green lane treatment across all intersections to continue bike
lanes , shows drivers riders are legitimate traffic and entitled to the
roadway AT the intersection as well as not just in the lanes....

darn traffic engineers have a lot to answer for about that crazy design
feature of disaapearing bike lanes on all marked bike laned roads (with
but a few exceptions....)

ask and you shall recieve. the first ones were done a little while ago
(StK junction), with Chandler Hwy not long after.
Flemington Rd is about to get em (including thru a roundabout!)
With Euro stats showing that they have reduced fatalities by 37% and
collisions by 70+% thru intersections, finally Austroads standards
should catchup with it's current review...

--
flyingdutch

Old October 3rd 06, 07:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

flyingdutch Wrote:
ask and you shall recieve. the first ones were done a little while ago
(StK junction), with Chandler Hwy not long after.
Flemington Rd is about to get em (including thru a roundabout!)
With Euro stats showing that they have reduced fatalities by 37% and
collisions by 70+% thru intersections, finally Austroads standards
should catchup with it's current review...

Dear Santa er BV

I would like one all the way along Maroondah Highway, and Springvale
Rds please!

I have been pretty good this year (almost!)

WW.

--
warrwych

Old October 3rd 06, 07:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Euan

warrwych wrote:
davel Wrote:
DaveB wrote:
suzyj wrote:
Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

October 3, 2006 - 1:29PM

Cyclists might soon get a head start at traffic lights across
Australia.

Confused. Don't we already have those boxes on a lot of

intersections??

You mean those boxes at intersections that some drivers abuse you for
filtering up to?
Yup, they're all over the place

--
davel

didnt an aber note a while back that a police officer in a car told him
off for making use of the box at Flinders St station (I think it was
there! memory could be wrong)? So if the police don't know..... Perhaps
the boxes need to be coloured?

That was me, or more accurately a lady who happened to be riding in the
same vicinity as me at the time.

I'd pulled up to the lights in the storage box, cop car pulled up behind
me, lady filtered through, propped next to me in storage box.

When we took off passenger leaned out of window and yelled something at
the lady, Doppler did its job so I had no idea what he said. Cop car
stopped in traffic just before Flinder's Street station and the lady
politely enquired what he'd said to her. He gave some guff about being
careful not to get run over, shouldn't filter through traffic etc. It
was at that point that I rounded on him and enlightened him as to the
purpose of bicycle storage boxes and the he really should take the time
to learn more about them. Lady also commented that she got enough
people thinking it was ok to yell at her out of the window without the
police encouraging such behaviour.
--
Cheers
Euan
Old October 3rd 06, 07:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
vintage

"Marx SS" wrote in message

From what I've seen it's there for small city cars turning left...

--
Marx SS

Anyone else get abused by peds when using the green bike light at the fed
square crossing by the tram stop and then the green bike light for the
Flinders st intersection? Seems some seem to think even if they have a red
man for the walking signal they have the right to cross even if we are
coming thru on a green bike like. They simply assume that if traffic can't
go we are in the wrong.

I get cards beeping occasionally and cars follow me thru as well LOL

Old October 3rd 06, 07:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

Euan Wrote:
warrwych wrote:
davel Wrote:
DaveB wrote:
suzyj wrote:
[...]

thanks Euan

--
warrwych

Old October 3rd 06, 12:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

vintage Wrote:

I get cards beeping occasionally and cars follow me thru as well LOL

Ditto with the contra flow bicycle access on Lennox St, Richmond. Twice
I've had motorists try to follow me, first one was via doing a right
turn into Lennox from Elizabeth St. Second one was a obviously blind
twept who tried to follow bike & I up Lennox through the intersection
at Highett St, when there is clear signage (for cars) denoting it is
one way, with contra access for bikes. Ehhhhhh! Braaaain hurts!

--
cfsmtb