About indoor training

Old December 2nd 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

Default About indoor training

In article ,
"Mark Fennell" wrote:

webhead wrote:
So, how do you people manage? Does anyone spend 3 hours on their
trainer doing long low intensity rides ?

Rollers. Perfect for entertaining yourself.

Or hurting yourself.

For example, see my stupid roller tricks from last night...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJpg

Nice work. The standup sprint bit is pretty hard, isn't it? I can't say that I
ever tried to take a foot out of the pedal on rollers. Oh, good choice of music. Too
bad the rest of that record is so, well, overwrought.

Next I'll try to bunny-hop off in a full sprint. Will I go skidding across
the floor??

Ah, Maddog's patented roastie burnout trick. Make sure you have a padded wall to
plow into.

--
tanx,
Howard

Safe when used as directed...

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old December 2nd 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Howard Kveck schreef:
"Mark Fennell" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJpg

Oh, good choice of music.

Trolling for Tosi?
Old December 2nd 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 1, 10:55 am, webhead wrote:
Just out of curiosity: at this time of year I'm supposed to build a
base physique and do long low intensity rides. However, days are short
and the weather is just plain terrible.
I don't mind the weather for a ride but cleaning my bike and getting
every itty bitty sand out of the chain and drivetrain is just hours of
work. If I don't I'm just grinding components.

I like my trainer but being stationary for about an hour is my limit.
It's a bit annoying to sit still for longer times.

So, how do you people manage? Does anyone spend 3 hours on their
trainer doing long low intensity rides ?

RBR's Greatest Hits:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...db176d10d0277f

Suddenly, I feel nostalgic.

It's not like there's some magic threshold
where a 3 hour low intensity ride benefits
you and a 1 hour ride doesn't. The 3 hour ride
is just more training volume. So do the 1 hour
ride if that's all you can stand, then go for
a walk or shovel snow or something. Other
people ride outside, or if they're pros or
rich they travel someplace warm. If you're
just worried about grit in the drivetrain, ride
anything, even an old ten speed. The bike makes
little difference to a training ride. If your
derailleur ices up, turn it into a singlespeed.

Or go buy a $50 used mountain bike and race
cyclocross. Don't use money and waiting to build a
CX bike as a reason to skip the season.

Ben
Old December 2nd 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
webhead[_2_]

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...se_frm/thread/...

Suddenly, I feel nostalgic.

It's not like there's some magic threshold
where a 3 hour low intensity ride benefits
you and a 1 hour ride doesn't. The 3 hour ride
is just more training volume. So do the 1 hour
ride if that's all you can stand, then go for
a walk or shovel snow or something. Other
people ride outside, or if they're pros or
rich they travel someplace warm. If you're
just worried about grit in the drivetrain, ride
anything, even an old ten speed. The bike makes
little difference to a training ride. If your
derailleur ices up, turn it into a singlespeed.

Or go buy a $50 used mountain bike and race
cyclocross. Don't use money and waiting to build a
CX bike as a reason to skip the season.

Ben

You're probably right that the kind of bike doesn't matter to a
training ride.
I don't think that a 1 hour hard ride and snow shoveling would be the
same as a 3 hour ride. Sure it might raise my heartrate slightly but
that's not a problem. I'm pretty sure that maintaining a posture and
way of moving during several hours leads to an adaptation and training
effect unachievable by cross training.
For one thing the kind of muscle simulation leads to a specified
adaptation. I do a lot of weight training (not for cycling purposes,
unrelated) and endurance isn't trained by short period high weight
stimulation but by smaller weight and multiple repetitions.

So I wondered, getting "base miles" early on the season, would that be
for cardiovascular endurance alone? I'm sure posture adaptation would
come into play big time. I'm not sure if it's possible to do a 7 hour
bike ride if you've only done 1 hour interval training for months on
end.
From what I've learned out of exercise physiology is that short high
intensity rides help prevent decline in VO2max and although it does
decline much less fast, it drops nevertheless.

To put it simply: I think in order to train for long bike rides I'd
need to do long bike rides or am I just completely missing something
here. It just seems somewhat contradictory that the time of year you
need to do your long hours of training just coincides with bad weather
and short daytime.
Old December 3rd 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 1, 6:55 pm, webhead wrote:
Just out of curiosity: at this time of year I'm supposed to build a
base physique and do long low intensity rides. However, days are short
and the weather is just plain terrible.
I don't mind the weather for a ride but cleaning my bike and getting
every itty bitty sand out of the chain and drivetrain is just hours of
work. If I don't I'm just grinding components.

I like my trainer but being stationary for about an hour is my limit.
It's a bit annoying to sit still for longer times.

So, how do you people manage? Does anyone spend 3 hours on their
trainer doing long low intensity rides ?

You might be amazed that I do practically all my easy rides indoors on
my trainer. I live in downtown Paris and riding outside can be fairly
annoying, and pretty much every outdoor ride is either too stressful
or too hard for recovery. My longest trainer ride is about 1:30.

-ilan
Old December 3rd 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
On Dec 1, 6:55 pm, webhead wrote:
Just out of curiosity: at this time of year I'm supposed to build a
base physique and do long low intensity rides. However, days are short
and the weather is just plain terrible.
I don't mind the weather for a ride but cleaning my bike and getting
every itty bitty sand out of the chain and drivetrain is just hours of
work. If I don't I'm just grinding components.

I like my trainer but being stationary for about an hour is my limit.
It's a bit annoying to sit still for longer times.

So, how do you people manage? Does anyone spend 3 hours on their
trainer doing long low intensity rides ?

You might be amazed that I do practically all my easy rides indoors on
my trainer. I live in downtown Paris and riding outside can be fairly
annoying, and pretty much every outdoor ride is either too stressful
or too hard for recovery. My longest trainer ride is about 1:30.

Hey Ilan, when are you coming back to Stanford?

Tom

Old December 3rd 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 3, 2:16 am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 1, 6:55 pm, webhead wrote:
[...]

Not to Stanford. I doubt whether I'll be visiting the Bay Area before
2009, and I'll probably stay in Berkeley.
Thanks for asking!

-ilan
Old December 3rd 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article

egroups.com,
"
wrote:

On Dec 1, 10:55 am, webhead wrote:
Just out of curiosity: at this time of year I'm supposed to build a
base physique and do long low intensity rides. However, days are short
and the weather is just plain terrible.
I don't mind the weather for a ride but cleaning my bike and getting
every itty bitty sand out of the chain and drivetrain is just hours of
work. If I don't I'm just grinding components.

I like my trainer but being stationary for about an hour is my limit.
It's a bit annoying to sit still for longer times.

So, how do you people manage? Does anyone spend 3 hours on their
trainer doing long low intensity rides ?

RBR's Greatest Hits:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...db176d10d0277f

But who can watch television for seven hours?
No, don't tell me.

--
Michael Press
Old December 4th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message

On Dec 1, 6:55 pm, webhead wrote:
[...]

When you're in town let me know and I'll buy you dinner in one of the real
dives out there in Berkeley. You know - Chez Panisse? Well, the owner's
daughter has this great Mexican restaurant out near the freeway.

Old December 4th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

wrote in message

On Dec 1, 6:55 pm, webhead wrote:
[...]

Rose Bistro on Shattuck near University.
My birthday dinner is memorable.
Ask for something not on the wine list. I did.

--
Michael Press