About indoor training

Old December 5th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Palermo

Default About indoor training

Spinning can be a good workout. Just sort of follow the program that the
instructor is having you do, but adjust it to your own needs. You'll
probably pedal at a higher cadence than everyone else. You can skip the
quick jumps that are sometimes done, instead doing longer standing pulls.
After a couple of classes, you'll have a feel for what works for you. Most
spinning classes are about 45 minutes of riding, so I often get there
earlier and start maybe 20 minutes before the class starts.

Swimming is also OK, and you do get a decent work out. I think part of the
reason your heart rate doesn't get as high is because you are in cool water.
I'm not a good swimmer either, but after going for a while (for me it took
about 3 months from when I started swimming for exercise), you do get to
some reasonable level, where it feels like a good aerobic workout.

Another good workout is the Stepmill. This is like a mini-escalator (4
steps) on which you can adjust the speed. For me, it's next best to running
, and better than biking, for getting my heart rate up. I often go for an
hour on this. And if you set your weight setting exactly the same each time,
you can use the total calories as an indicator of how hard you worked. You
can also adjust the speed up and down to do interval-like training.

Bob P.

"webhead" wrote in message

But seriously, I went to a Spin class the other day and the leader
(who you couldn't hear over the loud, distorted music) (I mean
understand, you could hear her just fine and you probably could have
heard her just fine *without* the microphone) turned down the lights
when it was effort time.

I imagine loads of big girls trying to shed some dough there. I kind
of worry that I can't do my own training but it's intriguing though.

I might use an old bike that may be trashed or so and I've tried some
cross training by running or swimming but that just doesn't do it. I
like running somewhat but I'm not good and I seem to get sore rather
easy. Swimming doesn't get my heart rate up high enough and I read
that's due to a lack of technique.

So from what I've gathered most here don't actually train as much as
they keep up a base level of physique until outdoor rides become
favorable again.

Old December 5th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 1, 12:55 pm, webhead wrote:

I don't mind the weather for a ride but cleaning my bike and getting
every itty bitty sand out of the chain and drivetrain is just hours of
work. If I don't I'm just grinding components.

dumbass,

consider the price of a new drivetrain to be the cost of being able to
ride year round.

but the fitness is fleeting and often i think time is better spent on
projcts that have a lasting impact.

so if that cost is a REAL concern, your should just train an hour a
day and spend the rest of your time trying to make some money so that
you don't have to fret about the cost of a chain and some cogs.
Old December 5th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message

but the fitness is fleeting and often i think time is better spent on
projcts that have a lasting impact.

Amit, I suspect you're a really nice guy in person but you're a horse's ass
on the internet.

Old December 5th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Michael Press wrote:

Rose Bistro on Shattuck near University.

Have you tried Sea Salt, on San Pablo? The grilled sardines are quite good.

http://www.seasaltrestaurant.com/menu/

My birthday dinner is memorable.
Ask for something not on the wine list. I did.

Night Train?

--
tanx,
Howard

Safe when used as directed...

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old December 5th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
webhead[_2_]

I do some interval workouts on the trainer. Tackx has some nice
example workouts for on the trainer and those offer a fairly good
entertaining layout. I suspect the spinning classes to be more
motivating but in a training/physical way they'll probably feel the
same. Could be fun though I should look into who's offering that over
here.
I tried swimming while I was on vacation, just pulling laps and it was
indeed not really an aerobic workout. I looked that up and apparently
it takes a lot of technique to actually get smooth enough and really
hit that heartrate. After 3 months you probably got better at what you
were doing and picked up some pace.

The stepmill might actually be some of the best things for a workout.
The muscles involved are also much more focussed on the hamstrings and
glutes rather then the quads so that might prove to be valuable
because those tend to be undertrained when cycling. The only problem
is that there's isn't a stepmill or a very high office building
around

At this point my training looks like this:
Weight training on monday (not cycling related) so my legs usually
become sore until halfway Thursday.
I take a light spin on Tuesday just to throw them loose. Not a real
workout.
Thursday evening I do a hard interval workout on the trainer for about
45 minutes.
Saturday I try and do a 1h30' road ride at a brisk pace.
Sunday: a longer low intensity ride.
Old December 5th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
webhead[_2_]

Amit, I suspect you're a really nice guy in person but you're a horse's ass
on the internet.

Internet and newsgroup bravery is a trait unrecognized and
unappreciated by those not skilled in talking down on men. Amit is
toughness.

Who starts a post with dumbass...
Old December 5th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
.
com,
Howard Kveck wrote:

In article ,
Michael Press wrote:

Rose Bistro on Shattuck near University.

Have you tried Sea Salt, on San Pablo? The grilled sardines are quite good.

http://www.seasaltrestaurant.com/menu/

I do not eat out much. Will look into this.

My birthday dinner is memorable.
Ask for something not on the wine list. I did.

Night Train?

Gigondas.

--
Michael Press
Old December 5th 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

webhead wrote:
Who starts a post with dumbass...

Kloothommel,
We all do. We are the Borg.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...rch+this+group

Old December 5th 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Donald Munro wrote:

webhead wrote:
Who starts a post with dumbass...

Kloothommel,
We all do. We are the Borg.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...rec.bicycles.r
acing&q=dumbass&qt_g=Search+this+group

"16,500 results for dumbass."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Laugh, becuase, you know, 16,500 results. Cry, because the latest
chocolate-flavoured beer I tried tonight was mediocre at best. Wait,
need to try it again to be sure...

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
Old December 5th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
webhead[_2_]

On Dec 5, 10:12 am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ch?group=rec.b...
acing&q=dumbass&qt_g=Search+this+group

"16,500 results for dumbass."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Laugh, becuase, you know, 16,500 results. Cry, because the latest
chocolate-flavoured beer I tried tonight was mediocre at best. Wait,
need to try it again to be sure...

--
Ryan Cousineau /
"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

A chocolate flavored beer huh. Those things get made a few km from
where I'm living. I haven't found a single one for sale over here so
mediocre probably gives it too much credit. Plenty of beer to choose
from in Belgium.