GPS markers

Old May 28th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist[_3_]

Default GPS markers

I wish the riders had them on their bikes so a stage map or climb
profile could be superimposed over the action. Time gaps can be
significantly different than distance gaps. It could be that Pellizotti
was within view (especially any vehicles following him) most of the time
up the climb yesterday, particularly after they rode above the tree
line. But from the view of the cameras, the groups appeared to be
completely isolated.

25 kph is 6.9 meters per second. At 42 seconds (not sure if that is raw
time or with time bonus added) behind at the top, that is only about a
290 meter gap.
Old May 28th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message
I wish the riders had them on their bikes so a stage map or climb profile
could be superimposed over the action. Time gaps can be significantly
different than distance gaps. It could be that Pellizotti was within view
(especially any vehicles following him) most of the time up the climb
yesterday, particularly after they rode above the tree line. But from the
view of the cameras, the groups appeared to be completely isolated.

25 kph is 6.9 meters per second. At 42 seconds (not sure if that is raw
time or with time bonus added) behind at the top, that is only about a 290
meter gap.

While you're completely correct let's remember that that distance is three
times a football field in length and that the road had a lot of bends in it.

Old May 28th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 28, 10:00*am, Carl Sundquist wrote:
I wish the riders had them on their bikes so a stage map or climb
profile could be superimposed over the action. Time gaps can be
significantly different than distance gaps. It could be that Pellizotti
was within view (especially any vehicles following him) most of the time
up the climb yesterday, particularly after they rode above the tree
line. But from the view of the cameras, the groups appeared to be
completely isolated.

25 kph is 6.9 meters per second. At 42 seconds (not sure if that is raw
time or with time bonus added) behind at the top, that is only about a
290 meter gap.

Seems like a good idea, but it's really not.
Think tifosi with targeting ability.

Old May 28th 09, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On May 28, 7:30*am, RicodJour wrote:
On May 28, 10:00*am, Carl Sundquist wrote:

I wish the riders had them on their bikes so a stage map or climb
profile could be superimposed over the action. Time gaps can be
significantly different than distance gaps. It could be that Pellizotti
was within view (especially any vehicles following him) most of the time
up the climb yesterday, particularly after they rode above the tree
line. But from the view of the cameras, the groups appeared to be
completely isolated.

25 kph is 6.9 meters per second. At 42 seconds (not sure if that is raw
time or with time bonus added) behind at the top, that is only about a
290 meter gap.

Seems like a good idea, but it's really not.
Think tifosi with targeting ability.

The TOC had GPS tracking, except it was rarely working. I'd like to
see speed and maybe grade displayed on the moto cameras as I find that
hard to judge. Or maybe they should show them passing virtual fatty
masters to give a good sense of how fast they are going.
-Paul
Old May 28th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 28, 10:25*am, "Paul G." wrote:
[...]

Would the virtual fatty masters get their own virtual podium babes?

tf
Old May 28th 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

On May 28, 7:30*am, RicodJour wrote:
On May 28, 10:00*am, Carl Sundquist wrote:

I wish the riders had them on their bikes so a stage map or climb
profile could be superimposed over the action. Time gaps can be
significantly different than distance gaps. It could be that Pellizotti
was within view (especially any vehicles following him) most of the time
up the climb yesterday, particularly after they rode above the tree
line. But from the view of the cameras, the groups appeared to be
completely isolated.

25 kph is 6.9 meters per second. At 42 seconds (not sure if that is raw
time or with time bonus added) behind at the top, that is only about a
290 meter gap.

Seems like a good idea, but it's really not.
Think tifosi with targeting ability.

Dumbass -

Civilian GPS is only accurate to within a few yards.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
Old May 28th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 28, 9:25*am, "Paul G." wrote:
[...]

The Fattie Masters go about the same speed on the flats, but when it
starts going uphill the pros are about double the speed.

thanks,

Fattie. presented by Masters.
Old May 28th 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 28, 2:19*pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:
On May 28, 7:30*am, RicodJour wrote:
On May 28, 10:00*am, Carl Sundquist wrote:

I wish the riders had them on their bikes so a stage map or climb
profile could be superimposed over the action. Time gaps can be
significantly different than distance gaps. It could be that Pellizotti
was within view (especially any vehicles following him) most of the time
up the climb yesterday, particularly after they rode above the tree
line. But from the view of the cameras, the groups appeared to be
completely isolated.

25 kph is 6.9 meters per second. At 42 seconds (not sure if that is raw
time or with time bonus added) behind at the top, that is only about a
290 meter gap.

Seems like a good idea, but it's really not.
Think tifosi with targeting ability.

Dumbass -

Civilian GPS is only accurate to within a few yards.

IED set off by cell phone. Collateral damage gets bonus points.

Old May 28th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
[...]

Oh.

I don't know that you need GPS for that. In The Iraq they do it
visually.

thanks,

Miss South Carolina. presented by Teen Miss Ameriica.
Old May 29th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On May 28, 10:31*am, wrote:
On May 28, 10:25*am, "Paul G." wrote:

[...]

I'll accept any excuse for more podium babes, and the "virtual podium
babe" concept has great merit. Their measurements wouldn't have to
obey the laws of physics.
-Paul