WIDE 27" road/touring tires?

Old September 28th 04, 06:19 PM
Pizza Man

Default WIDE 27" road/touring tires?

This is a spin off to a current thread on 27" tires (looking for
narrow treads).

Of the current production tires available (27x1 1/4), what is the
widest road/touring tire? I'm looking for a tad more cush in my ride
and a bit more robustness for rough roads or hardpack trails.

My past experience with bike and car tires is the listed sizes can be
dramatically different from reality. I'm guessing there are probably
some 1 1/4" tires that are wider than some 1 3/8" tires. I'm aware of
two 1 3/8' tires, but both are knobbies. I've been to several LBS and
about half don't even stock anything in 27". The shops that do
typically only have one or maybe two. They all seem to stock the same
2 Specialized tri-sports and maybe one of the armadillo models.

That makes mail ordering tires difficult. I can't see/feel/measure it
to be able to make a fair comparison.

I currently have Specialized Nimbus tires (great all around tread) and
have great success with this rubber. From memory it was one of the
wider tires available at the time (about 15 yrs ago), but is sadly no
longer available.

Anyone with experience in the old 27 inchers have advice on a wide
road/touring type tire (that is actually currently available)?

Thanks, Tracy
Old September 28th 04, 10:19 PM
Booker C. Bense

In article ,
Pizza Man wrote:
This is a spin off to a current thread on 27" tires (looking for
narrow treads).

Of the current production tires available (27x1 1/4), what is the
widest road/touring tire? I'm looking for a tad more cush in my ride
and a bit more robustness for rough roads or hardpack trails.

Anyone with experience in the old 27 inchers have advice on a wide
road/touring type tire (that is actually currently available)?

_ http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

_ Booker C. Bense

Old September 28th 04, 10:26 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Anyone with experience in the old 27 inchers have advice
on a wide road/touring type tire (that is actually
currently available)?

I rode 27-inch tyres for nearly forty years [late Fifties until
mid-Nineties], and my favourite was the Michelin World Tour 27x1-1/4"
(32-630) which is still currently in production and available from many
dealers. I rode the wider Michelin Hi-Lite Tour 27x1-3/8" (35-630) for a
while, but it was not robust enough for my style of touring ["Everything
but the Kitchen Sink"]. It was a folding tyre, however, so I carried one
as a spare.

Old September 28th 04, 11:52 PM
papercut

(Pizza Man) wrote in message om...
[...]

27x1 3/8" road tires are pretty rare. I ran a pair for about a year, a
old stock pair I got for $2. I liked the size. They were marked
37-630, which seemed about right, and were about the same width as the
26x1.25 slicks on my mtb. Unfortunately, one of the tires began to get
lumpy and fail, so i replaced them both with more common 27x1 1/4"
tires.

I know of only two sources of 27x1 3/8" road tires online.
http://sheldonbrown.com, which sells a few different ones and
http://biketoolsetc.com, which offers one choice. Sheldonbrown.com
offers some actual width measurements for some, but not all of their
offerings.
Old September 29th 04, 04:13 AM
A Muzi

Pizza Man wrote:
This is a spin off to a current thread on 27" tires (looking for
narrow treads).
Of the current production tires available (27x1 1/4), what is the
widest road/touring tire? I'm looking for a tad more cush in my ride
and a bit more robustness for rough roads or hardpack trails.
My past experience with bike and car tires is the listed sizes can be
dramatically different from reality. I'm guessing there are probably
some 1 1/4" tires that are wider than some 1 3/8" tires.-snip-

Anyone with experience in the old 27 inchers have advice on a wide
road/touring type tire (that is actually currently available)?

Michelin World Tour is about 35mm wide

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old September 29th 04, 07:43 PM
g.daniels

i was distraught when the kenda 3 circumferentially ribbed at $5 went
outa stock.A nice tire. but gone they are.
and for good reason!
no circumferential kevlar belt. the C.kevlar(or by any other name
would smell as sweet) belt is unstretchable-the tire stays round under
load reducing rolling friction. and prevents shards from entering the
tube area.
so no 3 rib kendas to kick around.
the 1x3/8" kenda did have a good feel to it over sandy asphalt.
other riders snot at it for the width as all men ride narrow tires and
only...
The Conti TT is on this continent(search the euro Conti site for other
sizes)is 1/4" but the aramid(phew)belts run every which way. The tire
has a very round cross section with less than usual interior tube
space. The feel from the kenda is thus quite different.
but the TT does everything but pick yawl up and spread antibio over
the roadrash
its forgiveness is remarkable. slide kelly slide. automatic
corrections. good for the scenery or internal thought inkneebriated.
also very good in portland.