Oiling every day keeps the bike mechanics away

Old December 16th 04, 04:31 AM
Micheal Artindale

Default Oiling every day keeps the bike mechanics away

About a week ago, i replaces my rear derailer, again. One of the cogs was
badly worn. The main reason for replacement was also due to the fact my
chain was skipping. I hadnt oiled in a week, and have been riding to and
form work on salted roads.

So, every morning I coat my chain with 80W90 Gear oil. Has the viscosity of
honey.

Over the last couple of days i have gained back some more gear choices that
dont skip. I had one that would not skip, now, almost all dont skip.

Lesson learned. LUBE YOUR CHAIN

Micheal

Old December 17th 04, 05:01 AM
G.T.

"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message
About a week ago, i replaces my rear derailer, again. One of the cogs was
badly worn. The main reason for replacement was also due to the fact my
chain was skipping. I hadnt oiled in a week, and have been riding to and
form work on salted roads.

So, every morning I coat my chain with 80W90 Gear oil. Has the viscosity

of
honey.

Over the last couple of days i have gained back some more gear choices

that
dont skip. I had one that would not skip, now, almost all dont skip.

Lesson learned. LUBE YOUR CHAIN

Lesson learned. DON'T WASTE TIME POLISHING A TURD.

I can't remember the last time I oiled my chain and I can't remember the
last time my gears skipped.

GT

Old December 17th 04, 11:34 AM
Ride-A-Lot

G.T. wrote:
"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message

About a week ago, i replaces my rear derailer, again. One of the cogs was
badly worn. The main reason for replacement was also due to the fact my
chain was skipping. I hadnt oiled in a week, and have been riding to and
form work on salted roads.

So, every morning I coat my chain with 80W90 Gear oil. Has the viscosity

of

honey.

Over the last couple of days i have gained back some more gear choices

that

dont skip. I had one that would not skip, now, almost all dont skip.

Lesson learned. LUBE YOUR CHAIN

Lesson learned. DON'T WASTE TIME POLISHING A TURD.

I can't remember the last time I oiled my chain and I can't remember the
last time my gears skipped.

GT

Hmmm... Same here. Although, I have to hose out the sand every now and
then, but only because I can't stand the grinding noise.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old December 17th 04, 11:42 AM
Shaun

"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message
About a week ago, i replaces my rear derailer, again. One of the cogs was
badly worn. The main reason for replacement was also due to the fact my
chain was skipping. I hadnt oiled in a week, and have been riding to and
form work on salted roads.

So, every morning I coat my chain with 80W90 Gear oil. Has the viscosity

of
honey.

Over the last couple of days i have gained back some more gear choices

that
dont skip. I had one that would not skip, now, almost all dont skip.

Lesson learned. LUBE YOUR CHAIN

Micheal

One you didn't learn though - DON'T THROW AWAY A ****ING DERAILEUR JUST
BECAUSE OF A WORN OUT JOCKEY WHEEL. HTH ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Those wheels are cheap.

Old December 17th 04, 02:30 PM
Zilla

Shaun wrote:
"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message
About a week ago, i replaces my rear derailer, again. One of the
cogs was badly worn. The main reason for replacement was also due to
the fact my chain was skipping. I hadnt oiled in a week, and have
been riding to and form work on salted roads.

So, every morning I coat my chain with 80W90 Gear oil. Has the
viscosity of honey.

Over the last couple of days i have gained back some more gear
choices that dont skip. I had one that would not skip, now, almost
all dont skip.

Lesson learned. LUBE YOUR CHAIN

Micheal

One you didn't learn though - DON'T THROW AWAY A ****ING DERAILEUR
JUST BECAUSE OF A WORN OUT JOCKEY WHEEL. HTH ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Those wheels are cheap.

Or if you do throw it away, throw it MY way...

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old December 17th 04, 04:29 PM
Bill Sornson

Shaun wrote:
"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message
About a week ago, i replaces my rear derailer, again. One of the
cogs was badly worn. The main reason for replacement was also due to
the fact my chain was skipping. I hadnt oiled in a week, and have
been riding to and form work on salted roads.

So, every morning I coat my chain with 80W90 Gear oil. Has the
viscosity of honey.

Over the last couple of days i have gained back some more gear
choices that dont skip. I had one that would not skip, now, almost
all dont skip.

Lesson learned. LUBE YOUR CHAIN

Micheal

One you didn't learn though - DON'T THROW AWAY A ****ING DERAILEUR
JUST BECAUSE OF A WORN OUT JOCKEY WHEEL. HTH ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Those wheels are cheap.

Betcha a dollar he really meant cassette.

Bill "known for riding with /severely/ worn jockey wheel(s)" S.

Old December 20th 04, 12:59 PM
Shaun

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
Shaun wrote:
"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message
About a week ago, i replaces my rear derailer, again. One of the
cogs was badly worn. The main reason for replacement was also due to
the fact my chain was skipping. I hadnt oiled in a week, and have
been riding to and form work on salted roads.

So, every morning I coat my chain with 80W90 Gear oil. Has the
viscosity of honey.

Over the last couple of days i have gained back some more gear
choices that dont skip. I had one that would not skip, now, almost
all dont skip.

Lesson learned. LUBE YOUR CHAIN

Micheal

One you didn't learn though - DON'T THROW AWAY A ****ING DERAILEUR
JUST BECAUSE OF A WORN OUT JOCKEY WHEEL. HTH ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Those wheels are cheap.

Betcha a dollar he really meant cassette.

I don't care what he *meant*!

Bill "known for riding with /severely/ worn jockey wheel(s)" S.

And not a 'single' mention...weird...

Shaun aRe

Old December 21st 04, 10:21 PM
Coyoteboy

One you didn't learn though - DON'T THROW AWAY A ****ING DERAILEUR JUST
BECAUSE OF A WORN OUT JOCKEY WHEEL. HTH ',;~}~

I bin deraileurs when the jockeys wear out simply because they have reached
the sloppy poor changing point by that time, either through on-trail
abuse/rocks/log clipping or through lack of maintenance. Not worth my time
to be faffing with unpolishable turds.

Old December 23rd 04, 11:26 AM
Shaun

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message
One you didn't learn though - DON'T THROW AWAY A ****ING DERAILEUR JUST
BECAUSE OF A WORN OUT JOCKEY WHEEL. HTH ',;~}~

I bin deraileurs when the jockeys wear out simply because they have

reached
the sloppy poor changing point by that time, either through on-trail
abuse/rocks/log clipping or through lack of maintenance. Not worth my time
to be faffing with unpolishable turds.

Then you ain't changing 'em soon enough ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old December 23rd 04, 01:14 PM
Coyoteboy

Then you ain't changing 'em soon enough ',;~}~
Shaun aRe

Probably right :-) I can never decide, the degredation is so long term i
forget what new feels like until i have it again lol.