Another Helmet Thread

Old June 23rd 13, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

Default Another Helmet Thread

On 6/19/2013 10:56 PM, Dan O wrote:
On Jun 19, 5:08 pm, sms wrote:
On 6/19/2013 2:42 PM, Dan O wrote:

snip

Dan, the article is copyrighted. Accident Analysis & Prevention's subscription costs hundreds of dollars per year, and they don't put their articles online for free, AFAIK.

Ah, I see.

The Scuffham "study" is only valid if you believe that comparing...

snip

And you also believe in the mythical land of New Zealand :-)

Why would people in New Zealand need bicycle foam hats, when they fall
away from the ground?

--
T0m $herm@n
Old June 23rd 13, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:17:25 PM UTC+1, T0m $herman wrote:
On 6/19/2013 3:37 PM, Andre Jute wrote:

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:09:28 PM UTC+1, wrote:

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:54:04 AM UTC-4, Jay Beattie wrote:

I think the reason people take offense at my quoting of data is because the data is so much at odds with their "I know my risks!" feelings. And I suppose I might stop rebutting your feelings - if you weren't using them to say "Bicycling is dangerous!"

Where did Jay say, "Bicycling is dangerous!"? This is bull****, Franki-boy. You're making up words again and putting them in people's mouths.

I and everyone else clearly hear Jay say over and over and over again that he considers cycling safe enough to indulge in extensively, to encourage his child to cycle, and that he takes precautions, like wearing a helmet, to mitigate the risk in bicycling inherent in his milieu and style of riding.

To me that sounds like straightforward common sense.

HTF do you, Krygowski, get from there to portraying Jay as a supporter of MHL?

Andre Jute

Statue erected in Jute's honor:

http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/5294952/il_fullxfull.196331494.jpg.

--

T0m $herm@n

You poor worthless little man, let the envy go and you'll feel better. You can help being born thick as little as Krogowski can.

Andre Jute
Old June 23rd 13, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:31:06 PM UTC+1, T0m $herman wrote:
On 6/20/2013 10:45 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:27:10 PM UTC+1, SMS wrote:

On 6/20/2013 7:42 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:

You have to distinguish between statistics and epidemiology which

involves drawing conclusions or associations from statistics. You can

prove that beer drinking promotes muscle development if you study a

bunch of rugby playing frat boys. You can prove that EMF causes

cancer if you study a bunch of people who live under high voltage

lines -- and next to a smelting plant. These were actual studies. The

problem is not the statistics. It's the associations drawn from the

statistics that are often suspect.

Well-stated. If there's _one_ thing that Frank needs to learn, it's the

difference between causation and correlation. Of course it's likely that

deep down he does understand the difference, but much of his position is

based on improper correlation.

That is why I say Franki-boy is fundamentally dishonest.

Andre Jute

And if you think Scharf is honest, you are a damn fool.

--

T0m $herm@n

I'm not interested in taking sides or building up a gang of yes-men, Liddell Tommi. I'm just interested in protecting the truth from the depradations of Krygo and his Sancha Panza, Phil Lee.

Have you ever discovered the least evidence that I care **** what anyone thinks?

Andre Jute
Old June 23rd 13, 11:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 6/23/2013 12:06 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Building up your own ego is all you care about.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old June 23rd 13, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

http://www.streetsblog.org/category/.../bike-sharing/
Old June 23rd 13, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:35:23 AM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
http://www.streetsblog.org/category/.../bike-sharing/

Pretty interesting video!

How odd, though, that he gives his own bike a low rating for having narrow uncomfortable handlebars, a hard narrow seat and no brakes! Why would a guy not fix those problems?

I think the main advantage of the Citi Bike over a private bike would be theft worries. If I lived in NYC, I think I'd use a folding bike and take it inside, unless I had _very_ secure parking at home and work.

- Frank Krygowski

Helmet Thread Zenon Racing 4 May 11th 11 03:08 PM
New Helmet Thread Superfly TNT Racing 0 August 20th 10 10:52 PM
Helmet thread with something for everyone! [email protected] Techniques 1 March 23rd 10 04:06 PM
Very first helmet thread? Bill Sornson[_5_] Techniques 1 October 14th 09 12:40 AM
A /different/ helmet thread... Simon Brooke UK 21 March 2nd 07 02:42 PM