UK: Poundland.

Old June 21st 13, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default UK: Poundland.

Went into the local branch today, they had rear brake cable for £1 - that's
inner + outer and the inner has one of each type of nipple, so you just crop
off the one you don't want.

Old June 21st 13, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Friday, 21 June 2013 21:49:13 UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
Went into the local branch today, they had rear brake cable for £1 - that's

inner + outer and the inner has one of each type of nipple, so you just crop

off the one you don't want.

as long as the other doesn't pop off the first(last) time you plummet down the local hill.
Old June 21st 13, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"thirty-six" wrote in message
On Friday, 21 June 2013 21:49:13 UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
Went into the local branch today, they had rear brake cable for £1 -
that's

inner + outer and the inner has one of each type of nipple, so you just
crop

off the one you don't want.

as long as the other doesn't pop off the first(last) time you plummet down
the local hill.

Their £1 innertubes are good enough (£5 elsewhere) - the Tesco ones are £3,
the last one of those I used split shortly after first use.

Poundland do front or rear LED lights for £1 - they work as advertised, but
the clip on the rear light is a bit dodgy - I bought an extra front one and
coloured the lens red.

Old June 21st 13, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/21/2013 3:49 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Went into the local branch today, they had rear brake cable
for £1 - that's inner + outer and the inner has one of each
type of nipple, so you just crop off the one you don't want.

With a PTFE liner? That's cheap, half price.
For plain casing it's still cheap.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 21st 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 6/21/2013 3:49 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Went into the local branch today, they had rear brake cable
for £1 - that's inner + outer and the inner has one of each
type of nipple, so you just crop off the one you don't want.

With a PTFE liner? That's cheap, half price.
For plain casing it's still cheap.

For that price I was only expecting an inner - pretty surprised when I
opened the box and found it included the outer, I'd be a lot more surprised
if it had a low friction liner.

Old June 21st 13, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/21/2013 1:49 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Went into the local branch today, they had rear brake cable for £1 -
that's inner + outer and the inner has one of each type of nipple, so
you just crop off the one you don't want.

Daiso, a Japanese $1.50 store has several stores in the western U.S. and
they have some bicycle stuff. Tire patch kits, LED lights, junky locks,
tire irons, wrenches and some stranger stuff such as umbrella holders,
ring locks (nurse locks), and my favorite--Woods valve repair kits (I
have never seen a bicycle with Woods valves in the U.S.).

No cables or tubes though. Tubes in the U.S. are best purchased from
Pricepoint.com when they have a sale for $2 each, the regular price is
$3 each (in 5 packs). Performance often has their tubes on sale for $3
each which is a bit high but not too bad. The markup on tubes is enormous.
Old June 22nd 13, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Friday, 21 June 2013 22:53:30 UTC+1, sms wrote:
On 6/21/2013 1:49 PM, Ian Field wrote:

Went into the local branch today, they had rear brake cable for £1 -

that's inner + outer and the inner has one of each type of nipple, so

you just crop off the one you don't want.

Daiso, a Japanese $1.50 store has several stores in the western U.S. and

they have some bicycle stuff. Tire patch kits, LED lights, junky locks,

tire irons, wrenches and some stranger stuff such as umbrella holders,

ring locks (nurse locks), and my favorite--Woods valve repair kits (I

have never seen a bicycle with Woods valves in the U.S.).

I like the Wood's valves. Something got right first time. The schrader and presta valves although may be perfectly fine most of the time (I and friends have had failings), because their workings are hidden I always have my doubts.
I was happy to but Raleigh/Vredestein in 23, 25, 28 in presta valves but now that Vred is also using a one size fits all, and yes a tight one is more likely to pop even when electromagically tested, I'm not happy with them and have strong intentions to go to the smallest schraeder/woods size tube and base my rough street wheels around that.

The woods valve fits the schrader body, swap them in for an easier life. The woods valve takes a presta pump head.

No cables or tubes though. Tubes in the U.S. are best purchased from

Pricepoint.com when they have a sale for $2 each, the regular price is

I guess they last months rather than decades.

$3 each (in 5 packs). Performance often has their tubes on sale for $3

each which is a bit high but not too bad. The markup on tubes is enormous..

Condoms are the same, bulk price from around 8 UKpounds per gross (IIRC), yet may be 50p ea. or more in small sales. Oddly the per 1000 rate is generally more than the gross rate. Tell the supplier that you have 60 clients passing through your health salon per day and you may obtain some freebies, typically 100 or gross of the regular, some biggies, some colours and flavours.

Old June 22nd 13, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/21/2013 4:51 PM, thirty-six wrote:
On Friday, 21 June 2013 22:53:30 UTC+1, sms wrote:

Pricepoint.com when they have a sale for $2 each, the regular price is

I guess they last months rather than decades.

That's not my experience. I have not detected any difference between
Kenda, Q-Tubes (QBP's private label tubes) and Pricepoint tubes.

Condoms are the same, bulk price from around 8 UKpounds per gross (IIRC), yet may be 50p ea. or more in small sales. Oddly the per 1000 rate is generally more than the gross rate. Tell the supplier that you have 60 clients passing through your health salon per day and you may obtain some freebies, typically 100 or gross of the regular, some biggies, some colours and flavours.

Costco generally has a good price, but I bought a case of them last
Friday and there were supposed to be 144 (12 dozen) but one box in the
case had only 10. It ruined my weekend.

Old June 22nd 13, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"sms" wrote in message
On 6/21/2013 1:49 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Went into the local branch today, they had rear brake cable for £1 -
that's inner + outer and the inner has one of each type of nipple, so
you just crop off the one you don't want.

Daiso, a Japanese $1.50 store has several stores in the western U.S. and
they have some bicycle stuff. Tire patch kits, LED lights, junky locks,
tire irons, wrenches and some stranger stuff such as umbrella holders,
ring locks (nurse locks), and my favorite--Woods valve repair kits (I have
never seen a bicycle with Woods valves in the U.S.).

No cables or tubes though. Tubes in the U.S. are best purchased from
Pricepoint.com when they have a sale for $2 each, the regular price is $3
each (in 5 packs). Performance often has their tubes on sale for $3 each
which is a bit high but not too bad. The markup on tubes is enormous.

The visit to Poundland was pure chance I happened to be passing, its the
first time I've seen cables there - I hope they continue expanding the cycle
accessories, maybe gear cables and brake blocks just to be going on with.

Old June 22nd 13, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"sms" wrote in message
[...]

Cut a few inches of cheap inner tube and tie a knot in one end.