Utah route assistance

Old December 24th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Utah route assistance

I got the following route from an old usenet post and reversed it. Ive
modified it where it made sense and I thought things were wrong, but I
am having some confusion with the map I have (AAA Nevada/Utah) and the
directions.

17. (south 15 ACA to 9 east) to Zion
16a. Mt Carmel Junction (89 north to 12 east)
16. Bryce Canyon NP
15. Escalante
14. (then north and east on Utah 12 thru) Escalante badlands
13. Boulder
12. (then north on 12 thru) Dixie NF
11. Torrey
10. (continuing east on Utah 24 thru) Capitol Reef NP
9. Hanksville (south on Utah 95)
8. Glen Canyon NRA
7. (turning southeast on Utah 95 thru) Natural Bridges NM
6. Blanding
5. Monticello
{ 191 north?
4. Canyonlands NP
3. (then South on US 163?? 191? thru) Moab
2. Arches NM
}
1. (north Utah 128 to east I70) following Colorado River canyon

I dont see a way other than 191 North from Monticello, straight up to
Moab/Arches. I dont see anything that cuts through Canyonlands. I dont
see a 163 at all. Can someone tell me if there is some road I am
missing on my map (can't find a 163 on Google Maps either). Also are
all the towns mentioned (Mt. Carmel, Escalante, Boulder, Torrey,
Hanksville, Blanding, Monticello) places to get food/water/RV camps?
My plan after hitting I70 is continuing up 139 and heading up to
Dinosaur and then following another post I found in the groups that
gets me to Estes Park over Trail Ridge Rd. Any info on that area
greatly appreciated as well. I have the ACA maps, but they dont take
this more adventurous route.

Old December 25th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Otis

I followed parts (7 through 1) of the orginal route (reverse of yours) back
in 1982 when I rode from Grand Junction Colorado to Hall's Crossing marina
on Lake Powell, where I met up with some friends for a few days on a house
boat.

You'll need to make little side trips off 191 to see Canyonlands. I made two
side trips to Canyonlands overlooks. 1) Dead Horse point state park,
accessed via 313. To get back to Highway 191, instead of 313, I turned onto
a dirt road that drops right down the side of the canyon to the river.
Highway 279 follows the river back to Moab. There were places where I was
off my bike, with both brakes locked and both feet and tires just skidding
down the slope of the road, hoping I would stop at some point before the
edge. 2) Highway 211 past Newspaper Rock. I remember I dumped my panniers at
a campground along that road and then took the road to its bitter end. There
was a tank of potable water at the campground, but heck, that was 26 years
ago. That was my highest mileage day of that tour.

From this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_163 I gather that
portions of 191 used to be designated US 163.

One thing I should have taken on that tour with me was salt tablets. It was
July.

At the time I did this, I was following a route described in a book by the
editors of Bicycling Magazine called 'Best Bicycle Tours'. Maybe it was this
book:
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Bicycle-T.../dp/B000GJYUKG
I still have the book, but it's on the other side of the country from me
right now.

Wish I could be more help, but it was a looong time ago.
Good luck.

Old December 25th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Don Lesco

Hi,

I did most of the route you are describing in 2002 by bike and drove
it this fall. In general, the supplies are limited, so you have to be
careful you have enough food and water with you. You should read
Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey while you are there. I have filled
in my comments, from memory, below.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Don

On Dec 24, 5:27*pm, " wrote:
I got the following route from an old usenet post and reversed it. Ive
modified it where it made sense and I thought things were wrong, but I
am having some confusion with the map I have (AAA Nevada/Utah) and the
directions.

17. (south 15 ACA to 9 east) to Zion

There are nice campgrounds in Zion. There is a good grocery store in
Springfield. I recommend signing up for the first shuttle bus up to
the top in the morning. A park ranger goes on this one and provides
commentary on the way. On the way out, there is a tunnel that does
not allow bicycles. You have to hitch a ride through. Usually, a
park ranger at the top will help out with this.

16a. Mt Carmel Junction (89 north to 12 east)

You can get some food at Mt Carmel.

16. Bryce Canyon NP

There are a few places to camp along the way. I don't recall any
grocery stores. There are campgrounds in the park as well as a
general store with limited groceries. The north campground is most
convenient to this.

15. Escalante
14. (then north and east on Utah 12 thru) Escalante badlands

This is a long stretch with limited supplies.

13. Boulder

There are stores in Boulder. My recollection is that the groceries
are limited.

12. (then north on 12 thru) Dixie NF

There are some BLM campgrounds on the climb just after Boulder. The
climb rises to over 9000 ft.

11. Torrey

At the intersection of 12 and 24 there is a small plaza that includes
a subway and some groceries. There is also camping in this area. I
stayed at Capitol Reef NP.

10. (continuing east on Utah 24 thru) Capitol Reef NP

Camping at Capitol Reef. Handy to Torrey for groceries if you are
staying over.

9. Hanksville (south on Utah 95)

Campground, limited groceries. You need to be concerned about water
on the following stretch.

8. Glen Canyon NRA

About 90 miles from Hanksville. There are primitive campgrounds north
of the Colorado river. There may be more in the town of Hite. Also,
limited groceries there.

7. (turning southeast on Utah 95 thru) Natural Bridges NM

Camping, no water or groceries in the campgrounds. You should be able
to fill up your water bottles at the visitor center if you ask.

6. Blanding

A supermarket! There is a campground somewhere between here and Moab.

5. Monticello
{ 191 north?
* * * * 4. Canyonlands NP
* * * * 3. (then South on US 163?? 191? thru) Moab

This is a tourist town. It will have everything you need. I
recommend the Up the Creek Campground. The Back of Beyond Bookstore
in town was very good to me.

* * * * 2. Arches NM}

It has a campground. It is tough to get in. I lined up at 9:00 am on
a Monday morning once and it was already full. The campground has
water, but no supplies and is about 25 miles from town. It is very
beautiful. You should read Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire here. The
Fiery Furnace hike is recommended - you can sign up at the visitor
center.

Old December 25th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

wrote:
I got the following route from an old usenet post and reversed it. Ive
modified it where it made sense and I thought things were wrong, but I
am having some confusion with the map I have (AAA Nevada/Utah) and the
directions.

17. (south 15 ACA to 9 east) to Zion

You should know that there is a long tunnel in UT-9 as it heads east
out of Zion. It is NOT open to bicycles.

16a. Mt Carmel Junction (89 north to 12 east)
16. Bryce Canyon NP

SNIP

5. Monticello
{ 191 north?
4. Canyonlands NP
3. (then South on US 163?? 191? thru) Moab
2. Arches NM
}
1. (north Utah 128 to east I70) following Colorado River canyon

I dont see a way other than 191 North from Monticello, straight up to
Moab/Arches.

That's because there is no other way. It's rugged, sparsely
populated country. No reason, or way, to build two roads between towns.

I dont see anything that cuts through Canyonlands.

The only things that "cut through" Canyonlands are the Green and
Colorado Rivers. The park is divided into three sections, each
accessible separately, but none of them joined by anything like a
bridge. This is wilderness in the wildest, starkest sense of the word.

I dont see a 163 at all. Can someone tell me if there is some road I

am missing on my map

There aren't any roads that aren't on your map, though you would be
well-advised to get a better one than AAA's. This is all very
challenging terrain.

Also are
all the towns mentioned (Mt. Carmel, Escalante, Boulder, Torrey,
Hanksville, Blanding, Monticello) places to get food/water/RV camps?

I'd personally stay away from Mr. Carmel. Heard too many rumors
about people getting ripped off there. But there are other places, e.g.
Glendale and Orderville north of Mt. C. Also, there's Tropic near BCNP.
(But not much in Cannonville or Henrieville.) Nearly all of these
places have some tourist accomodations, though I don't recall
specifically what is where, particularly where campgrounds are
concerned. (OK, I do remember campgrounds in Orderville, Escalante, and
the Parks.) But this is an area that makes its living on tourism. I
suggest you check out
http://www.dexknows.com for the specific names and
locations of campgrounds. (I think I got that URL right. If not,
Google it.)

My plan after hitting I70 is continuing up 139 and heading up to
Dinosaur

139 travels a VERY desolate (and not particularly scenic) area,
perhaps the most barren of this whole trip, and that's saying something.
Do not let yourself get out there with too little of anything,
ESPECIALLY water.

and then following another post I found in the groups that
gets me to Estes Park over Trail Ridge Rd. Any info on that area
greatly appreciated as well. I have the ACA maps, but they dont take
this more adventurous route.

Adventurous is putting it mildly. This whole route is covering some
of the wildest terrain on the whole planet. You've got more high,
winding, narrow roads here than you'll find anywhere else in North
America. There's a place called Hell's Backbone between Escalante and
Boulder, for instance, that some people I know will not even try in a
car, let alone on a bike. (They're timid, but you get the idea. It's
not for the acrophobic.) And Trail Ridge Rd. is crowded, winding, and
tops out at over 12,000' altitude, with a brake-burning descent on the
other side.
Your trip sounds like loads of fun if you're up to the challenge.
(If perchance you're just a map-dreaming neophyte, there's still time to
tone this trip down. Not saying you are, but...)
I hope you budget a lot of time for side trips. (Someone once
commented that it's possible to sprint the length of the Grand Gallery
of the Louvre in under two minutes, but wondered why anyone would want
to.) I have driven almost all of your proposed route, and biked a little
of it. If you have more specific questions, I'm willing to try to help
with answers.

Good luck,
Bill

|Real e-mail: , minus the letters w/ tails.|
Old December 25th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
ZBicyclist

I did Blanding to Zion a few years ago. Writeup is he
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1216&v=5W
A key point is that it is two days between Hanksville and Blanding.
So far as I could tell, there are only two spots to get water. These
are at the store on the east side of the bridge over the Colorado,
and at Natural Bridges National Monument (which is perhaps 4 miles
off the road).

Mike Kruger
http://mikekr.blogspot.com/

Old December 30th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

So I gather its rugged and a lot of miles with no services. I just
ordered the third map in the series of Western Express from ACA which
covers 85% of the route I'm planning through Utah. Coming from Nevada
I think Ill have trial by fire with long miles of no services. I hear
that I have to hitch some ride through the Zion tunnel but I gather
that the rangers can help out. I'm no novice when it comes to touring
and have done my fair share of climbing in desolate areas. Ive done 5
of 10 highest roads in California and gone to the top of both Rock
Creek Rd and to the Bristlecone Pine Forest on White Mountain by bike
(in 117 degree heat at the bottom!!!!)

Any recommendations on maps for the Colorado section? I don't think
ACA does this area.

Ive worked out some mileage for the Colorado route and it looks doable
assuming I plan for no services in between. Any info on this part?

Fruita - Rangely 88.3 miles
Rangely - Dinosaur 17.9
Dinosaur - Craig 87.3
Craig - Steamboat Springs 43.4
Steamboat Springs - Granby 80.0
Granby - Grand Lake - Estes Park 61.0
Old December 30th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Excellent route info. Thank you very much. I just ordered the 3rd map
in the ACA western express series that covers a great portion of this
route. Hopefully this map will show a lot of the campgrounds you
mention. Any recommendations on other maps that might show more than
my AAA maps?

Route Goofing .. question about cross continent route .. Sir Thomas of Cannondale Rides 4 October 30th 07 04:17 AM
TR: Utah MS 150 [email protected] General 0 June 25th 07 11:10 PM
Utah MS 150 [email protected] General 9 July 18th 06 03:56 PM
York - Selby Cycle Route en route catering arrangements vernon UK 1 July 25th 05 11:58 PM