Pittsburgh hills

Old November 27th 12, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John White

Default Pittsburgh hills

In article ,
wrote:

On Monday, November 26, 2012 6:48:07 PM UTC-5, Dan O wrote:

Not real long - I only count about 60 steps or so on the sidewalk

along the steep part. So unless those are awfully high steps I don't

see how the vertical rise could be a really big number (cobblestones

may break my bones but numbers never hurt me :-) *Appears* to be

eminently surmountable.

Pittsburgh's steps are interesting on their own. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steps_of_Pittsburgh

I doubt there are many other places where some stairways are legally city
streets.

- Frank Krygowski

San Francisco and Berkeley are a couple of other places where stairways
are part of the street network, although I don't know about their exact
legal status.
Old November 27th 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:52:02 -0000, "Graham"
wrote:

"I am aware that participation in the Ride is hazardous
and that I could be seriously injured or even killed"
I think things are exagerated a bit in the US

I am aware that I could be seriously injured or even killed walking to
the mailbox. I once broke a bone getting out of an easy chair.

Get enough people together, and somebody is going to take an ambulance
ride.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old November 27th 12, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Nov 26, 4:18*pm, wrote:
On Monday, November 26, 2012 6:48:07 PM UTC-5, Dan O wrote:

Not real long - I only count about 60 steps or so on the sidewalk

along the steep part. *So unless those are awfully high steps I don't

see how the vertical rise could be a really big number (cobblestones

may break my bones but numbers never hurt me :-) **Appears* to be

eminently surmountable.

Pittsburgh's steps are interesting on their own. *Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steps_of_Pittsburgh

I doubt there are many other places where some stairways are legally city streets.

Aha, we have an elevator that is a city street! Well, actual Oregon
City does. http://northwestrevealed.com/2012/05...north-america/

So, no offense to Pittsburgh, but we have the steepest street in the
United States, and I can tell you, it is a grueling ride up that
elevator. Tall bikes are recommended. http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrielamadeus/4552473995/

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 27th 12, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 11/25/2012 6:23 PM, wrote:
Article about a race in Pittsburgh's hills. 37% grade, anyone?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-dozen-663572/

or

http://tinyurl.com/booeuyl

For tech, I suppose we could discuss what equipment you'd use for a 37% grade. On cobblestones!

- Frank Krygowski

I would swap out cogs in my mid-drive jack-shaft for a low of around 8
gear-inches on a trike, and spin my way up (since obviously there are no
low-speed balance issues.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
Old November 27th 12, 08:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 11/26/2012 8:39 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]
nate

Off-topic, but the descriptive term "Nate-Nagelism" has been tossed
around by a few of your old "friends" on RAD in the past week.

Old November 27th 12, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Garmin's mapsource suggests property's orginal second or maybe first buyer gotta deal on an inaccessible site then built a driveway avoiding access costs..n prob turned a profit..

too German for fancy
Old November 27th 12, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Nov 27, 12:36 am, "Tom $herman (-_-)" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 11/26/2012 8:39 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]
nate

Off-topic, but the descriptive term "Nate-Nagelism" has been tossed
around by a few of your old "friends" on RAD in the past week.

'member when I discussed hanging out on the newsgroup and reading
~every post in order to "get to know" people? The term has meaning
for me without having to go look.

Old November 27th 12, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Global Spec sez hu with a jet pack post into yahoo where there's a strong stomach claming he walked into 201 countries

http://us.mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch
Old November 28th 12, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 11/27/2012 03:36 AM, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:
On 11/26/2012 8:39 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]
nate

Off-topic, but the descriptive term "Nate-Nagelism" has been tossed
around by a few of your old "friends" on RAD in the past week.

Hmm, let me guess, someone with a nym alluding to a satellite-based
system? Don't actually care enough to take him out of my killfile, but
it's reassuring to know that I've still got fans out there

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Pittsburgh hills [email protected] General 4 January 25th 13 06:06 PM
Denver to Pittsburgh ffej Rides 0 May 4th 11 09:07 PM
Any unicyclists in the Pittsburgh Area? inbethelpark Unicycling 0 October 23rd 07 08:50 PM
Muni in Pittsburgh tom777 Unicycling 1 June 13th 06 06:55 AM
Pittsburgh to DC? Brian E. Clark Rides 1 June 17th 04 06:27 PM