Lunga Via delle Dolomiti / Langer Weg der Dolomiten

Old October 29th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

Default Lunga Via delle Dolomiti / Langer Weg der Dolomiten

While Sharon and I were riding in northeast Italy in September, in a couple
of different places we found signs for a long-distance bike route: first on
a paved rail trail around Calalzo + Pieve di Cadore, then on a normal public
road around San Gregorio nelle Alpi and Cesiomaggiore between Belluno and
Feltre.

Does anybody know more about what this is? Ridden long sections of it?
What's the concept and goal? current status?

A sign sorta near San Gregorio said something like:
Lunga Via delle Dolomiti / Turismo in bicicletta / Itinerario
Langer Weg der Domomiten / Rad Tourismus / Weg
"Dolomiti Live" : project financed by EU: Intereg II Italia - Austria

There's stuff related to it on the web in Italian and German, but it's
confusing because some of it is about organized tours or events that are
partly on the route, partly off it. Seems like it's supposed to go thru
Feltre + Belluno + Tai di Cadore + Cortina d'Ampezzo + Dobbiaco / Toblach +
Lienz Austria.

Fitting with that concept, Sharon and I did notice some paved bike path
sections off-road alongside or crossing the main road at several points as
we were riding on the main road from Cortina to Pieve di Cadore. Then we
actually rode on a rather nice paved rail trail section from Pieve to
Calalzo di Cadore near the train + bus station - (but that's confusing
because Calalzo does not seem to be along the way between Pieve di Cadore
and Belluno).

Seems like some organized tours and events are using roughly that route to
make cycling tours thru the Dolomites that avoid steep climbs.

It would be interesting to know which parts are on-road and off-road, which
are paved or unpaved, which sections have marker signs -- and which sections
are completed, and where to get info about the status of different sections
in future years.

Ken

Old October 31st 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

Ken,
I think I have cycled only once along the main Cadore Valley
between Calalzo and Cortina. That was a long time ago.
Now the main road has been improved for motorised traffic and it has
become very dangerous for cyclists. Good to hear that there are bike
paths to avoid that danger. I have seen the bike paths from Cortina
south, but no farther than, as I recall, San Vito. I doubt there is a
good path further south.

Sergio
Pisa