The death of rim brakes?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 14th 19, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default The death of rim brakes?

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 4:23:58 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 05:40:22 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 13:54:18 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 3:17:05 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
Snipped

I don't get the obsession of reusing spokes. If that turns
you on, fine.
IMHO 'best rim for this rider/usage' can be severely limited
by adding 'within poorly supported ERD'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I don't think it's an obsession to use the old spokes. I think it's because many of us just like to tape the new rim to the old rim and then move the spokes to the new rim without having to unlace t he old wheel. Plus it saves a fair bit of money. Where I am shops cut spokes to length and t hen thread them. My understanding is that those cut threads make a weaker spoke than do spokes with rolled threads.

I have a couple of extra wheels here that have tubular rims on t hem but the hubs and spokes are in excellent condition. If I could get a clincher rim to match the tubular rim so I could use the old spokes by taping the new rim to the old and transferring the spokes to the new rim I would.

YMMV

Cheers

I see 14 gauge spokes with nipples listed on Amazon for $0.10 each in
lots of 36.

Another shop was selling Wheelsmith spokes, and nipples for $0.96 each
in sets of 50. Or DT Swiss Champion spokes for $0.72 each in sets of
70. Or Bavel 36pcs Steel Spokes Mountain Bike Spokes MTB 251mm-268mm
W/Nipples in sets of 36 for $9.99.

Try standard road lengths of 280mm with DT/Sapim/Wheelsmith double butted 2.0/1.8. Most come with no nipples, and when you add those and shipping, you're approaching a buck a spoke. Spokes used to be an incidental expense but not anymore.

-- Jay Beattie.