AVANTI INTEGRATED Headset replacement

Old September 8th 03, 11:19 PM
John Davis

Default AVANTI INTEGRATED Headset replacement

"colnago" wrote in message ...
I checked with Avanti and it is a 2002 model

A 2002 bike with 1" forks? Are you sure?

you say it's the green/blue corsa - do you mean kind of snotty
metallic yellow-green and blue?

If so I've got one the same, and have also had to replace the HS
bearings (a type fault?). And yes, they really are 1" forks!!!

Anyway, the newer Corsa's (2002/2003 model - red?) use a Cane Creek ZS
(zero stack) headset (possibly still 1" though - think this years are
1-1/8"), but the early one (wasn't 2001/2002 first year the corsa went
to a compact frame?) uses an odd-ball 1" Tange headset(still 'zero
stack' like - in that it has hidden bearing holders pressed into the
frame, not a 'true' integrated headset).

Anyway, if just the bearings are shot (I had the lower bearing
basically disintegrate) you can source bearing sets off Avanti (get
your local Avanti dealer to order them - about AUS$50 a set).

If the actual cups are dodgy (or you just have a bad feeling about the
Tange HS and want something else) apparently the new Cane Creek ZS-2
and ZS-6 _is_ still available both in 1" and 1-1/8", and the 1" model
_should_ go straight in with your 1" fork (head tube interface specs
are the same for both CC and Tange according to my friendly local
avanti-savy mechanic)

http://www.canecreek.com/site/produc...et/03_zs2.html

Personally I've had 3000+ km trouble free since I replaced the
bearings, so I suspect either a rogue bad bearing, or bad initial
installation/maintenance (I brought the bike used and the bearings
were shot when I got it). I am however tempted to grab an extra spare
set of bearings now while they're still available!!!
Old September 8th 03, 11:37 PM
colnago

Thanks John for the info i will look into the ZS2or ZS6 ..Yes i bought the
frame secondhand too and the bottom bearings have collapsed also ..The cups
do not look to flash either...

Thanks again

Webby
"John Davis" wrote in message