Anyone here from Canberra?

Old September 9th 03, 07:25 AM
Sigi Goode

Default Anyone here from Canberra?

On 8 Sep 2003 14:42:10 +0950, amirm
wrote:

Just curious. Might need some info on local clubs etc..

Yep, I'm from the 'berra. I don't belong to any local cycling clubs,
though!

Sigi
Old September 9th 03, 08:37 PM
Nick Payne

I know of no club that offers something in between. If I want a hard touring
ride, I go by myself or with friends. Some of the training rides of racing
clubs are going to be about as close as you'll get...

"amirm" wrote in message

I tried the ACT Cycling Federation website yesterday. I also tried
websites for two or three other clubs. The info was all related to
races. Calenders were also all about race events. Nothing about social
rides or training etc.

I was a memeber of ACT Pedal Power for a year. Then again it seemed to
be on the other extreme as it was mostly about lobbying or fun-rides. I
guess I'm interested in seeing something in between. Maybe there is more
to the above clubs, but to find out, a memeber can help better than the
website. Website is a good starting point, though. Thanks.

Old September 10th 03, 07:03 AM
Rob Woozle

I posted from my email address just like I am now. Feel free to reply to it if
you need any further info.

FWIW just go to any search engine and type in Pedal Power ACT. They are a great
organisation with tons of resources and links available as well as organising
some rather good rides.

For MTBing in Canberra try Majura Pines which is accessible off MacKenzie St in
Hackett. Deek's Forest Park has just reopened as well after fire damage in
January. Kowen Forest outside Queanbeyan has some great riding - it is also the
site of the MONT 24hr race later on this year.

For road riding - Canberra has tons of cycle paths - these are marked on the
street directory.

Real road riding (ie: on roads rather than cycle paths) - I am not crazy enough
to chance that very often but I would advise that you stay off the Tuggeranong
Parkway for safety reasons.

Oh yeah - and the magpies have started swooping here so look out!

Rob

Rob Woozle wrote:
Yep - drop me an email if you like.
Rob

Need an address for e-mail first. I think it'd be useful if you sent me
an e-mail so that I can reply? My address is:

Cheers,