When Is Standover Height Insufficient?

Old July 31st 05, 11:22 PM
Mike Kruger

Default When Is Standover Height Insufficient?

"Steve Sr." wrote in message
news

So far I have had a test fitting on the new bike but haven't
been able
to ride it since the seat post provided was too long (won't

go low
enough).

?? I've never seen a seatpost that wouldn't go as low as
possible (while still having some area sticking out to attach
the saddle, but I'm sure you are planning to have a saddle).
Of course, there are many things I haven't seen but which are
perfectly natural. This may be one of them.

And the seatpost doesn't go all the way down to the bottom
bracket. That would be a waste of metal. So, what's keeping it
from going lower?

--
Mike Kruger
The fact that our neighbors are worse off does not make us

Old July 31st 05, 11:39 PM
Arthur Harris

"Mike Kruger" wrote:
?? I've never seen a seatpost that wouldn't go as low as
possible (while still having some area sticking out to attach
the saddle, but I'm sure you are planning to have a saddle).
Of course, there are many things I haven't seen but which are
perfectly natural. This may be one of them.

I'm guessing it's a Thomson set back post. The upper part of the post is
bent backwards, requiring about 10 cm to be exposed above the seat tube.
Cutting off the bottom doesn't help.

Art Harris

Old August 1st 05, 03:35 AM
Mike Kruger

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
"Mike Kruger" wrote:
?? I've never seen a seatpost that wouldn't go as low as
possible (while still having some area sticking out to

attach
the saddle, but I'm sure you are planning to have a

saddle).
Of course, there are many things I haven't seen but which

are
perfectly natural. This may be one of them.

I'm guessing it's a Thomson set back post. The upper part of

the post is
bent backwards, requiring about 10 cm to be exposed above

the seat tube.
Cutting off the bottom doesn't help.

Thanks. For others who are curious, these are described he
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=...omson_seatpost

Old August 1st 05, 03:55 AM
Gary Jacobson

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message

I'm guessing it's a Thomson set back post. The upper part of

the post is
bent backwards, requiring about 10 cm to be exposed above

the seat tube.
Cutting off the bottom doesn't help.

Thanks. For others who are curious, these are described he
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=...omson_seatpost

I always wondered about these posts. Why are they needed on a custom bike?
Is it because there's no way to make a slack enough seat tube due to a
person's proportions? Would such a post affect handling any different than
if the rear offset was built into the frame?

Anyway, I posted an similar inquiry to the OP's about a custom Waterford I
received with "no standover", and with a sloped TT and extended headtube.
It's for long distance and all day riding with light loads. Many responders
advised me that standover isn't too much an issue as the bike is tipped when
crashing or getting on and off. One poster said that proper design always
includes provision for standover. Now with many thousands of comfortable
miles I can say that I do not miss substantial standover. I think I have
about 1 cm. Sort of tough to measure as that's soft tissue down there, and
the TT is sloped.

Best wishes.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old August 1st 05, 03:59 AM
Gary Jacobson

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message
news:0bgHe.10286 I always wondered about these posts. Why are they needed
on a custom bike?
Is it because there's no way to make a slack enough seat tube due to a
person's proportions? Would such a post affect handling any different than
if the rear offset was built into the frame?

I guess I should read:

"At first glance, it looks as though the Thomson setback puts the saddle
further back than a standard post, but in fact it's in more or less the same
place. Seekers of lots of rearward saddle movement will have to look
elsewhere."

Gary

Old August 1st 05, 04:09 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Gary Jacobson" wrote: (clip) and the TT is sloped.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
My bottom tube is sloped, also.

Old August 1st 05, 04:12 AM
Fred Barney

Arthur Harris says...

I'm guessing it's a Thomson set back post. The upper part of the post is
bent backwards, requiring about 10 cm to be exposed above the seat tube.
Cutting off the bottom doesn't help.

Art Harris

Or it could be an Easton carbon post. They have a maximum insertion
point.