Raceline Bikes

Old August 30th 03, 05:09 AM
Paul J

Default Raceline Bikes

Anybody have any opinions on Raceline bikes? I know they're Aussie owned
and frames are made in Taiwan. They're not US or Italian bred but just
about anything within a reasonable price range these days is made in
Taiwan. They seem to be quite well equiped for their price and the
frames are triple butted aluminium and the welds look pretty clean and
tidy. Any thoughts?

Old August 30th 03, 02:09 PM
hippy

"Ben Elliston" wrote in message
Paul J writes:

Anybody have any opinions on Raceline bikes? I know they're Aussie
owned and frames are made in Taiwan.

They are actually Apollo, right?

Yes, I sure they are not Australian but a sub-company
or side-company or something of Apollo.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-25712.html

Raceline seem pretty nice for their price, I'll give 'em that.
I've not ridden one though so couldn't tell you how they
compare with anything.

hth
hippy

Old September 5th 03, 04:34 AM
aeon16

I ride a Raceline Giro. Fantastic bike, I really recommend them.

I have heard that Apollo aren't going to be making Raceline anymore,
but it shouldn't be an issue (parts wise) as most of your components
are Shimano.

Very smooth and fast ride. Highly recommended.

And damn... I haven't seen many around.

Old September 6th 03, 06:52 AM
Paul J

aeon16 wrote:
I ride a Raceline Giro. Fantastic bike, I really recommend them.
I have heard that Apollo aren't going to be making Raceline anymore,
but it shouldn't be an issue (parts wise) as most of your components
are Shimano.
Very smooth and fast ride. Highly recommended.
And damn... I haven't seen many around.

Just spoke to a guy riding one this morning. He hasn't had it long but
he's very impressed. I just don't think I'm never going to own something
hand built in Italy and if I'm going to be needing to retire an
aluminium frame every 5 years or so then I think value for money is the
biggest factor to consider. Plus I won't be afraid to thrash it a bit if
it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Old September 6th 03, 10:31 AM
hippy

"Paul J" wrote in message
I ride a Raceline Giro. Fantastic bike, I really recommend them.

Just spoke to a guy riding one this morning. He hasn't had it long but
he's very impressed. I just don't think I'm never going to own something
hand built in Italy and if I'm going to be needing to retire an
aluminium frame every 5 years or so then I think value for money is the
biggest factor to consider. Plus I won't be afraid to thrash it a bit if
it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

This opinion may well be totally wrong and might upset a few people,
but here goes:

The only people I have seen with $5k+ (usually more) Italian beauties
have them leaning against the cafe where they have been sitting for the
last hour! :-P

I have seen a couple of Colnago's being raced but their numbers are
dwarfed by people riding mass-produced aluminium frames (Giant,
Avanti, Specialized, probably my Peugeot, etc).

Buy a mass-prod bike and thrash away.. leave the 10 grand
beauties to enjoy their cafe lattes :-)

hippy

Old September 6th 03, 11:09 AM
Suzy Jackson

"hippy" wrote in message

This opinion may well be totally wrong and might upset a few people,
but here goes:

The only people I have seen with $5k+ (usually more) Italian beauties
have them leaning against the cafe where they have been sitting for the
last hour! :-P

I have seen a couple of Colnago's being raced but their numbers are
dwarfed by people riding mass-produced aluminium frames (Giant,
Avanti, Specialized, probably my Peugeot, etc).

You shoulda been at Heffron Park this afternoon. There were about eight
well worn Colnagos there, three of which (including my own) sporting Mapei
paint jobs, no less.

Maybe I don't hang around as many cafes as you, but I see plenty of Colnagos
at racing. My own does about 250km per week, and has been crashed twice so
far in the three years I've owned it. It's an aluminium one, and besides
the paint looking well used and pretty badly scuffed, still has a good many
years of life left.

There are probably more Giants than any other make of bike at racing,
followed perhaps by Treks, but the Colnagos are quite popular.

I have no qualms about riding around on a bike that cost six or seven grand.
Plenty of people own cars that cost more than that, and my bike _is_ my car.

Regards,

Suzy (whos Colnago carried her to 2nd place in this afternoons D grade crit)