Man on bike vs man on horse - which is faster?

Old September 6th 03, 09:58 AM
David S. Maddison

Default Man on bike vs man on horse - which is faster?

Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
grass alongside.

David

Old September 6th 03, 11:33 AM
hippy

"David S. Maddison" wrote in
message ...

Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
grass alongside.

My money is on:
Horse uphill over rough terrain
Bike downhill road and off-road
Flat would be tough - depends on distance?

Try googling for it or maybe the Guiness Book would
have some speed figures?

hth
hippy

Old September 6th 03, 01:41 PM
SM

No question that horse wins every time over anything than about 50 metres,
but then again I guess that depends on what type of horse and what type of
terrain...

"David S. Maddison" wrote in
message ...

Old September 6th 03, 02:55 PM
DJ

I reckons that I would put all my money on the horse in all catagories with
the odds being smaller on the downhill...I guess it depends on steepness and
terrain unless insanity prevails, but unless you can average 60kph on the
flat on a bike the horse has little competition and as far as uphill is
concerned...1 horsepower compared to 1 manpower.....again..very little
competition irrespective of how many gears you have, and the horse will
climb a steeper grade than you'll ever pedal a cycle up...and it can jump
logs better too..........a motorbike yes...a bicycle...sorry!!

I'll take your money on the bike though hehhe

DJ

"David S. Maddison" wrote in
message ...

Old September 6th 03, 04:39 PM
Andy G

well, any distance under 5 km the horse will win. usually... but....
over that and the horse will die trying to catch up.

when was the last time you saw a horse race or event over 20 km.
they have to have bike races that length just to sort the men from the boys.

terrain to suit. soft sand will kill the bike.
over distance, the bike creams it in.

there have been several horse vs man races, the man often wins by drafting
then sprinting.

Old September 6th 03, 10:10 PM
Jack Russell

Not sure about that. I believe 35 miles a day was considered good for a
horse. Even I can do that easily on a bike.