Man on bike vs man on horse - which is faster?

Old September 6th 03, 10:10 PM
Jack Russell

Default Man on bike vs man on horse - which is faster?

Not sure about that. I believe 35 miles a day was considered good for a
horse. Even I can do that easily on a bike.

SM wrote:

No question that horse wins every time over anything than about 50 metres,
but then again I guess that depends on what type of horse and what type of
terrain...

"David S. Maddison" wrote in
message ...

Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
grass alongside.

David

Old September 6th 03, 11:37 PM
Theo Bekkers

"Andy G" wrote

there have been several horse vs man races, the man often wins by

drafting
then sprinting.

A draft horse?

:-)

Theo

Old September 7th 03, 02:39 AM
darryl

In article ,
David S. Maddison wrote:

Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
grass alongside.

David

I have read the responses to date and disagree with the opinions about
how far horses can travel.
There are a number of endurance races for horse and rider in Australia
and overseas.
The typical event covers 200 km over two days (100 km each day). The
horses are restricted from going any further each day and must pass a
number of veterinary inspections along the route to gain approval to
continue.
Having dispelled that myth, I believe a man on a mountain bike or
cyclo-cross bike would keep up quite easily over long distances.
I even think that a man running would cover the 100 km in less time and
still back up the next day to do it again as long as he did not have to
stop for medical inspections. In case you do not follow the running
scene the world 24-hour record is held by an Australian with 303 km in
24 hours. Humans have incredible endurance.

cheers,
Darryl

Old September 7th 03, 03:55 AM
Andrew Swan

Andy G wrote:
there have been several horse vs man races, the man often wins by drafting
then sprinting.

Drafting behind a horse....? Ever cleaned out a stable? Pheeee - ewww!

&roo

Old September 7th 03, 03:58 AM
Andrew Swan

David S. Maddison wrote:

Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
grass alongside.

David

Steve Hogg said yesterday at the Sydney bike show that an endurance
runner (i.e. not even on a bike) can outrun a horse in terms of distance
covered. If this is true, the horse would have no hope against a bike,
provided the terrain was fit for cycling on.

&roo

Old September 7th 03, 05:54 AM
hippy

"darryl" wrote in message
There are a number of endurance races for horse and rider in Australia
and overseas.
The typical event covers 200 km over two days (100 km each day). The
horses are restricted from going any further each day and must pass a
number of veterinary inspections along the route to gain approval to
continue.

Yeah, I've seen coverage of one of these events on TV. It's very big
in the middle-east and I think they were saying it was Aussie horses
that are the current leaders or at least rivaling the Arab horses.
But, from what I saw, the speed they were tavelling at would _easily_
be exceeded by a person on a bike, probably a runner too.

hippy