Any tips for finding a used bike in Melbourne?

Old September 7th 03, 12:34 PM
Homer30

Default Any tips for finding a used bike in Melbourne?

Hello to all cycling friends,

I'm looking for a used bike (MTB preferred) in Melbourne. Perhaps I
should mention, that I'm a german student, who will work in Melbourne
for half a year, so if you know any good addresses of shops or could
give me some hints for local newspapers or magazines which offer ads for
used bikes or something like that, you would help me a lot.

I know I will miss my bike here at home as soon as I lift up from the
ground next week to fly to Australia and I can't imagine not doing my
daily ride for half a year.

Thanks to all in advance.

Homer30

Old September 7th 03, 01:37 PM
cc

Homer30 wrote:
Hello to all cycling friends,

I'm looking for a used bike (MTB preferred) in Melbourne. Perhaps I
should mention, that I'm a german student, who will work in Melbourne
for half a year, so if you know any good addresses of shops or could
give me some hints for local newspapers or magazines which offer ads for
used bikes or something like that, you would help me a lot.

I know I will miss my bike here at home as soon as I lift up from the
ground next week to fly to Australia and I can't imagine not doing my
daily ride for half a year.

Thanks to all in advance.

Homer30

U could always try the trading post
http://www.melbournetradingpost.com.au

The print version of the trading post goes onsale weekly on
Thursdays, I think it costs about $1.50 last I bought a copy
about a year ago.. not sure how much it is these days.

Old September 7th 03, 01:37 PM
cc

Old September 7th 03, 02:33 PM
hippy

"Homer30" wrote in message
I'm looking for a used bike (MTB preferred) in Melbourne. Perhaps I
should mention, that I'm a german student, who will work in Melbourne
for half a year, so if you know any good addresses of shops or could
give me some hints for local newspapers or magazines which offer ads for
used bikes or something like that, you would help me a lot.

Buy a copy of "The Trading Post" from most supermarkets,
newsagents, etc. It comes out on Thursdays I think. It has
a Bicycle section and various price ranges.

Or search their site online at: www.tradingpost.com.au

I found my track bike the other day using their online
search facility.

Some bike shops sell second-hand bikes too. Where are you
located? Someone could give you some shops to try...

hth
hippy

Old September 7th 03, 02:48 PM
hippy

"cc" wrote in message
U could always try the trading post
http://www.melbournetradingpost.com.au

Doh! You beat me to it! :-)

hippy

Old September 7th 03, 02:48 PM
hippy

Old September 7th 03, 10:52 PM
Homer30

Thank you for the link, I will stay somewhere in St.Kilda or Elwood,
haven't arranged an accomodation yet, but for the first week I will stay
in an hostel (Enfield in St Kilda).

cheers

Homer30

Old September 8th 03, 12:55 AM
Deep Flayed Mares

Homer30 wrote in message
Hello to all cycling friends,

I'm looking for a used bike (MTB preferred) in Melbourne. Perhaps I
should mention, that I'm a german student, who will work in Melbourne
for half a year, so if you know any good addresses of shops or could
give me some hints for local newspapers or magazines which offer ads for
used bikes or something like that, you would help me a lot.

I know I will miss my bike here at home as soon as I lift up from the
ground next week to fly to Australia and I can't imagine not doing my
daily ride for half a year.

Email me, and I can get you a bike much cheaper than anything you can buy
out of the trading post. $30-$40 will get you a bike that will last you 6
months, no probs!
---
DFM