Paint

Old September 10th 03, 03:08 PM
Zig

Default Paint

If it is for rust protection, (don't let on that you did this but...)
minor chips and small metal deep scratches can be concealed with nail polish.
With the bewildering array available you can get a pretty good match.

Zig

Stuart Murphy wrote:

Hi all,

What materials/process can I use to patch up:

i) minor frame scratches
ii) more significant areas (several square cm)?

Am concerned about long term rusting (though I suspect the rust won't be the
first thing to kill this bike, so maybe I'm concerned about it looking
pretty???)

Cheers
Stuart

Old September 10th 03, 04:03 PM
Gary K

You know, and I'm not suggesting this as a solution to the original
poster, but when the bill goes over $200, for that money u can set
yourself up with compressor, spray guns and cans of 2 pack auto (the
real stuff) and do a much better job than with the aerosol cans from
auto shops.

GK

geoffs wrote:

The best spray painter in Sydney is Peter at Star Enamel. His Phone # is
02 9790 1025. He paints frames for Hillbrick, Baum, Kotzur and Bosevski
and most probably others as well. As to cost, I recently had our Santana
Sovereign tandem reprayed with a two colour fade, ( bianci mango fading
to a deep bright red) and that set me back about $450. I think a single
colour for a single starts at $150 but dont quote me. You get what you
pay for and you dont want to be in a rush as there is normally at least
a 4 week wait.

Old September 11th 03, 10:37 AM
Andrew Swan

Stuart Murphy wrote:
Hi all,

What materials/process can I use to patch up:

i) minor frame scratches
ii) more significant areas (several square cm)?

Am concerned about long term rusting (though I suspect the rust won't be the
first thing to kill this bike, so maybe I'm concerned about it looking
pretty???)

Cheers
Stuart

Let's say I sand, prime, spray, and lacquer my bike myself (because the
bike was cheap and so am I) - how could I apply some good-looking lettering?

Would Letraset(TM) work? Are there other suitable lettering systems?
Presumably you would stick the letters on before lacquering? Anyone
tried this or have any ideas?

TIA,

&roo

Old September 12th 03, 12:06 AM
hippy

"Andrew Swan" wrote in message
Would Letraset(TM) work? Are there other suitable lettering systems?
Presumably you would stick the letters on before lacquering? Anyone
tried this or have any ideas?

Not sure of the costs, but what about vinyl "stickers"?

I've got some on by race bike with the shop's name
along the chainstays. If you got a few made up it
would reduce costs - maybe someone else knows
how much these cost?

I'd be keen to get some made if it wasn't to expensive.

hippy

Old September 12th 03, 07:14 AM
Tim Jones

Stuart Murphy wrote:
Hi all,

What materials/process can I use to patch up:

i) minor frame scratches
ii) more significant areas (several square cm)?

Am concerned about long term rusting (though I suspect the rust won't be

the
first thing to kill this bike, so maybe I'm concerned about it looking
pretty???)

Cheers
Stuart

Let's say I sand, prime, spray, and lacquer my bike myself (because the
bike was cheap and so am I) - how could I apply some good-looking

lettering?

Would Letraset(TM) work? Are there other suitable lettering systems?
Presumably you would stick the letters on before lacquering? Anyone
tried this or have any ideas?

You could try decopaje (sp?) on the bike - would make it interesting and
you'd get in good with your aunties ;-)

Tim