Wire bead tire mounting

Old August 29th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Just A User

Default Wire bead tire mounting

I checked sheldons site and didn't readily see the answer to my
question. I have a bit of a tire replacing problem. The tire that was on
the bike was labeled 26 x 1.5 the tire (used) I am trying to mount is 26
x 1.95 with a wire bead. I worked at getting that tire on the rim for
over an hour so far with no luck, it seems like it's to small, the wire
bead can't be stretched enough to get it all the way on the rim. Is
there something I am missing here, or is there a special trick to
getting the tire on the rim.

J.A.U
Old August 29th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Knutson

On Aug 29, 10:15 am, Just A User wrote:
I checked sheldons site and didn't readily see the answer to my
question. I have a bit of a tire replacing problem. The tire that was on
the bike was labeled 26 x 1.5 the tire (used) I am trying to mount is 26
x 1.95 with a wire bead. I worked at getting that tire on the rim for
over an hour so far with no luck, it seems like it's to small, the wire
bead can't be stretched enough to get it all the way on the rim. Is
there something I am missing here, or is there a special trick to
getting the tire on the rim.

J.A.U

it could be (probably is) an especially tight fit.
wire beads (or kevlar) don't "stretch." the necessary wiggle room to
get a tire on to a rim is always gained entirely by having the parts
of the tire that are already on pushed into the middle of the rim
well, allowing the final sections of tire to get above the top of the
rim sidewall and over. for a difficult mounting, one of the things to
do is manually make sure the tire beads are pushed as far into the rim
well as possible all the way around.

when you get into the final, difficult sections of bead, sometimes
it's necessary to put rather large amounts of force on very small
sections of the bead to work it over.

using minimally bulky tubes and rim strips also helps a bit. so for
example, using a 1.5-1.95 tube rather than a 1.9-2.25.

Old August 29th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Hardin

Just A User wrote:

I checked sheldons site and didn't readily see the answer to my
question. I have a bit of a tire replacing problem. The tire that was on
the bike was labeled 26 x 1.5 the tire (used) I am trying to mount is 26
x 1.95 with a wire bead. I worked at getting that tire on the rim for
over an hour so far with no luck, it seems like it's to small, the wire
bead can't be stretched enough to get it all the way on the rim. Is
there something I am missing here, or is there a special trick to
getting the tire on the rim.

J.A.U

Deflate tube all the way or nearly so; the opposite piece of the tire
has to be snug in the well of the rim where the
rim tape is, and air in the tube may keep it from going there.

A blue plastic tire tool wand may be handy for getting it on or off,
in addition. Do they still make these? Metal tends to puncture the tube.

You can also use soap to grease it up; it may be necessary anyway to
get it to seat correctly, centered on the rim all the way around rather
than having a rise and fall that refuses to go away.

Old August 29th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Just A User

Default Follow up :confusing fix Wire bead tire mounting

Just A User wrote:
I checked sheldons site and didn't readily see the answer to my
question. I have a bit of a tire replacing problem. The tire that was on
the bike was labeled 26 x 1.5 the tire (used) I am trying to mount is 26
x 1.95 with a wire bead. I worked at getting that tire on the rim for
over an hour so far with no luck, it seems like it's to small, the wire
bead can't be stretched enough to get it all the way on the rim. Is
there something I am missing here, or is there a special trick to
getting the tire on the rim.

J.A.U

Follow up

I don't know what the story with this job was, but the tire I was trying
to use didn't work out very well, so for the heck of it I tried a 26 x
1&3/8 tire, I didn't think they were compatible, perhaps they are not
perhaps the tire that was on there was the wrong size to begin with, but
anyway it went on easier (still had to stretch it a bit) So anyway I
solved the problem, tire and tube seem to be just fine. Perhaps someone
has some insight into this strange problem / fix.

J.A.U.
Old August 29th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Knutson

On Aug 29, 12:49 pm, Just A User wrote:
Just A User wrote:
[...]

it went on easier because it is a completely different and much larger
diameter standard. look at your original 26x1.5 tire. do you see the
number 559 appear anywhere? if so, it's a regular mtb 26" tire.
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

the only exception would be if you had a tire labelled 1.5 that was
actually a 590 or 597, which would be weird.

Old August 30th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Just A User wrote:
I checked sheldons site and didn't readily see the answer to my
question. I have a bit of a tire replacing problem. The tire that was on
the bike was labeled 26 x 1.5 the tire (used) I am trying to mount is 26
x 1.95 with a wire bead. I worked at getting that tire on the rim for
over an hour so far with no luck, it seems like it's to small, the wire
bead can't be stretched enough to get it all the way on the rim. Is
there something I am missing here, or is there a special trick to
getting the tire on the rim.

First, look for a metric tire size designation on your old tire.

Standard decimal series, ISO 559, all interchange regardless of width.
Some uncommon series found on some older bikes are poorly labeled (
mid-80s 650B/584 and the ill-starred '700D'). Do note than a tire marked
26 x 1-1/2 is _not_ equivalent to a 26 x 1.5! AFAIK 559 series, your new
tire, are the smallest 26-inch tires so just about any other '26 inch'
rim will be impossible.

Then consider mounting technique. Ensure the rim liner does cover the
spoke nipples or cover the spoke holes and does not occlude the tire
bead seat ( the lip of a larger diameter than the center section).
Inflate the tube until just round in cross section, fit inside tire,
mount one tire side, push the tube in place, mount second tire side. Use
hands only for mounting. If you need a tool, something isn't right. The
tool itself can easily pierce or pinch a tube as it is pressing in
rather than pulling out.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old August 30th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Just A User

Just A User wrote:
[...]

No 559 was NOT on the tire anywhere, or at least not that I could see or
make out. 26 x 1.5 was the only number I could see.
Old August 30th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
zencycle

On Aug 29, 1:15 pm, Just A User wrote:
I checked sheldons site and didn't readily see the answer to my
question. I have a bit of a tire replacing problem. The tire that was on
the bike was labeled 26 x 1.5 the tire (used) I am trying to mount is 26
x 1.95 with a wire bead. I worked at getting that tire on the rim for
over an hour so far with no luck, it seems like it's to small, the wire
bead can't be stretched enough to get it all the way on the rim. Is
there something I am missing here, or is there a special trick to
getting the tire on the rim.

J.A.U

I would highly recommend against using the tire, only for the fact
that if you have to attempt a road repair you might end up smashing
the wheel to the ground and stomping it out of frustration. Imagine
trying to even UNseat the bead, in 90 degrees, high humidity, and
deerflies taking unsolicited blood donations. Or in the dead of
winter, a cold wind blowing, no shelter, and you can't even get the
tire off the wheel.

Sometimes you're just SOL. I had a hutchison training tire I was
trying to mount to a rolf wheel about ten years ago. I couldn't get
the thing on the rim. I took it to my LBS, no luck there either, the
guy swapped tires to a panaracer stradius that worked fine (excellent
tire BTW). Conversely, I had vredestein 'cross tires (700x28) that I
had mounted to mavic classic SSCs. It went on a little too easily. I
went to ride to a local 'cross race, and pumped up the tires to max
pressure for the road ride to the event. The tire blew off the rim
before I got out of the driveway. I'm using Bontrager Jones on the
same wheels now with no problems.

Old August 30th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Just A User

zencycle wrote:
[...]

Yeah I ended up using a different tire (26x 1&3/8) which I think is what
was supposed to be on the rim in the first place. This was an old cheap
x-mart quality bike with a 5 speed freewheel and friction shifting. I
think the tire that were on there were mislabeled or something. When I
compared the size to my known 559 tire the rim and tire /looked/
considerably larger. Anyway the flat tire is fixed, the bike rolls, and
now it can go back to the woman it belongs too. This was a charity fix.
Old August 30th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Last year, tire mount problems came early and then thru the summer.
The last run saw few if any mounting problems 'ceptin now at season's
end.
I make noooooo claims for "being" a bicycle mechanic. I recently
learned how to, more or less, over long mileage, so have a different
perspective than the LBS.
All tires with the same numbers are the same, more or less. That is,
the same number tires should go on the right rim without significant
problem. Tires are made by hand: the maker can have a bad day but
that's like getting hit by a migrating snow goose.
So, its likely you are screwing up. Did you buy the wrong tire? I've
watched this and ...the buyers are truly confused, troubled by this
screwup. Denial.
Second, never buy a tire with wires in it. This is bad form. People
will laugh at you, maybe urinate on your bike.
If the tire bead and inside rim surface is sprayed and wiped with CRC
HD silicone (after cleaning-rag with CHO?), allowed to dry, then
mounted, 75% of the problem should solve.
Silicone works for removing. Break the bead down-pushing both bead/
tire wall sides inward to rim center all the way around, then spraying
the section your gonna lift out first.
If the silicone goes on the rim/brake surface wipe clean with CHO-
twice clean rag each time.
don't breathe the stuff, stay upwind