wire tire bead punctured inner tube

Old January 6th 09, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default wire tire bead punctured inner tube

I rode in to work this morning just fine, and parked my bike. I went
to get on it this afternoon and the rear tire was flat. Pulled the
tube out and found the hole, correlated to location inside tire, and
found an end of wire from the bead poking through the casing inside.
No way I could fix it (that I could see).

The tire is a Vittoria Randonneur (the regular 60 tpi version, not the
120 tpi "Pro"). Even though the stated max is something like 85 psi,
I've been pumping them up to ~100 psi (according to the built-in gauge
on my Topeak Joe Blow floor pump). I have thousands of miles on two
other of the same tire on this same wheel (Rigida (?) rim came stock
on '86 Trek 400).

The tire has unmounted/mounted at least a few times for (typical) flat
repair and once for tire rotation, but not recently. Did I do
something wrong. Bad luck? Defective tire? S**t happens? (Should
have heeded manufacturer's spec?)

Maybe I'll cut this tire up some to see what makes them tick inside
for further analysis.
Old January 6th 09, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
res09c5t

"Dan O" wrote in message I rode in to work this
morning just fine, and parked my bike. I went
to get on it this afternoon and the rear tire was flat. Pulled the
tube out and found the hole, correlated to location inside tire, and
found an end of wire from the bead poking through the casing inside.
No way I could fix it (that I could see).

I had a similar thing happen with a Performance brand tire. As I recall, it
was pretty new and I didn't recall any difficulty with mounting it where I
would have damaged it so I assumed it was a defect- not sure I was right
about that but it made sense. The problem was a bugger to find because
given where the hole was, I thought the problem was a pinch flat and it took
me about 3 flats to find the problem.
Lyle

Old January 6th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Dan O wrote:
[...]

No input apart from I was of the opinion that Schwalbes had a rep for
this sort of thing, so maybe not as uncommon as I thought.