female discomfort.

Old November 1st 05, 10:51 PM
BungleBanks

Default female discomfort.

hey all

i am angel (bungles gurlfriend)
there is only one thing holding me back from learning to unicycle.....

my seat (velo freestyle) concerntrates all my weight in all the wrong
places. (girls anatomy) so i was just wondering if any other girls out
there have had this trouble and how did you overcome it?

thanks angle

BungleBanks

So many people ask me "if i can ride that thing?" and i say "no i just
push it round for fun!"
BungleBanks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5830

Old November 1st 05, 10:59 PM
Zee

I did have that problem, but I'm not sure how I got over it, suppose I
got used to it or something. I used to have a really old cradle style
seat that it turns out had a couple of screws loose in it. But, I got a
new seat, just a basic normal one, and I could have sworn it was the
most comfortable thing! But I find if I'm riding for a while, it does
get rather uncomfortable...I got another new seat, and uni, and this
one was a KH seat, nice and comfy really, but distance does make it
hurt a bit too. And guys think it doesn't hurt us to ride a unicycle. I
find if I'm doing fair distance on my unicycle, I tend to ride slightly
off the seat. I dunno about learning though.

--
Zee
Zee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11061

Old November 1st 05, 11:48 PM
podzol

There are lots of men posts about this, but I haven't found too much for
us girls!

I use bike shorts with padding, my cheap ones work as well as the fancy
pants. I lost 15 pounds, that helped a LOT.
I kind of stand while pedaling once in a while when I ride to let the
blood flow. I take a break every 2-3 miles just for a minute.

I have made some extra padding that helps, but I don't use that uni
often, see picture attached.

I have an air seat for my coker wich helps. Sometimes I shift weight
way back on my ischeum (Kind of thrust pelvis forward a bit to do that,
moving the seat forward and your shoulders back some), that helps for
short spells instead of dismounting.

Good luck, I hope some of this is helpful.

|Filename: UNiseatJPG.JPG |

podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Old November 2nd 05, 12:43 AM
peter.bier

One thing you may like to play with is the angle of the seat. This can
have an effect on comfort. I'll assume you don't have a rail seat
post. If you loosen your saddle bolts you can actually move the saddle
backwards or forwards about an inch which changes the angle a little.
Try moving it one way and then retighten them. If pain persists try
the other way. If you've still got problems it may be an idea to
invest in a different saddle.

--
peter.bier

-Peter Bier
peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

Old November 2nd 05, 12:57 AM
Zee

peter.bier wrote:
If pain persists try the other way.

Haha, "If pain persists, see your doctor" Pain killers actually work
quite well for stopping pain like that. I find if you taken them
before, it's fine until they wear off

Old November 2nd 05, 06:21 AM
pete66

I've got this friend I was trying to teach to ride... or should I say, I
was trying to get her to teach herself. She got quite good but every
now and then she'd say in a really whiny voice "it hurts my crotch"...
which is basically the last thing you ever wanna hear from a girl and I
didn't know what to tell her beyond "try putting more weight on your
pedals and your seat hand" (which is what I do).

It seems to be a stumbling point for lots of learners, it made me give
up for about 8 or 9 years but that was because the seat technology on
learner unicycles in 1994 was pretty poor.

I guess it's just one of those things you just get better at? I've
generally got a low tolerance to that sort of pain so I usually
dismount at the first signs of discomfort and "walk it off".

I think the new seats are coming on in leaps and bounds so it seems the
general rule is "newer the better", hopefully the progress doesn't let
up!

--
pete66
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Old November 2nd 05, 06:40 AM
vicuniclub

perhaps you are sitting wrong? i always sugest sitting more on your tail
bone... or at least putting most of the pressure there.. see if that
helps... though past there i am out of sugestions... i found it
helps... though i am not a women... but yes... i think if you shift
your wait it could really help!

--
vicuniclub
vicuniclub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10052

Old November 2nd 05, 11:30 AM
sarah.miller

Cycle shorts with padding are good.
personally I'm not crazy about the velo freestyle saddle but thats a
personal thing, I like a miyata or a viscount ( made by velo AIH).
At least for us girls a squashed crotch doesn't do any lasting harm.
Sarah

--
sarah.miller

South West Unicycle Meet
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

Old November 2nd 05, 07:47 PM
cathwood

The only time I have had this problem is when riding for miles on my
29er. What I have found helps:
1. Padded cycle shorts (that don't have seams in the wrong places.)
2. I have found that the more distance I do, the less of a problem I
have.
3. When I changed my cranks from 150s to 125s it improved. So I don't
know whether this was something to do with the seat hight but if felt
like I had more room to move.
4. All my unis have KH seats, so I don't know if that makes a
difference.

All the best.

Cathy

--
cathwood

'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

'http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk' (http://www.chuckingandtwirling.
co.uk)

female discomfort. harper Unicycling 0 November 1st 05 11:00 PM
Female Cyclists from Queensland... Tamyka Bell Australia 0 March 4th 05 12:39 AM
Any female cyclists out there? cityjen UK 43 July 8th 04 10:44 PM
Female mtn bike Xmas gift ideas? Destroy Mountain Biking 27 November 19th 03 11:28 AM
Knee discomfort Allan General 10 October 3rd 03 06:24 AM