External-bearing BBs?

Old May 12th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joao de Souza

Default External-bearing BBs?

Quick question on external-bearing BBs: Are they all compatible? Are the
shaft diameters and spacing of these integrated cranks the same? I
haven't worked on enough of these to find out by myself yet.

I have a Shimano FC-R700 crankset, and someone near me is selling a set
of Zipp ceramic external-bearing BB for cheap, but need to know if the
two are compatible before putting my money down.
Old May 12th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On May 12, 1:29*pm, Joao de Souza wrote:
Quick question on external-bearing BBs: Are they all compatible? Are the
shaft diameters and spacing of these integrated cranks the same? I
haven't worked on enough of these to find out by myself yet.

I have a Shimano FC-R700 crankset, and someone near me is selling a set
of Zipp ceramic external-bearing BB for cheap, but need to know if the
two are compatible before putting my money down.

Don't know much about Zipp bearings, but if you want the ultimate in
external bearing bbs, check out the new Phil Wood:

http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard%20Set.htm
Old May 12th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On May 12, 1:49 pm, bfd wrote:
On May 12, 1:29 pm, Joao de Souza wrote:

Quick question on external-bearing BBs: Are they all compatible? Are the
shaft diameters and spacing of these integrated cranks the same? I
haven't worked on enough of these to find out by myself yet.

I have a Shimano FC-R700 crankset, and someone near me is selling a set
of Zipp ceramic external-bearing BB for cheap, but need to know if the
two are compatible before putting my money down.

Don't know much about Zipp bearings, but if you want the ultimate in
external bearing bbs, check out the new Phil Wood:

http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard%20Set.htm

Holy spit, you can get 'em in French!
Old May 12th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Someone wrote:

Quick question on external-bearing BBs: Are they all compatible?
Are the shaft diameters and spacing of these integrated cranks the
same? I haven't worked on enough of these to find out by myself
yet. I have a Shimano FC-R700 crankset, and someone near me is
selling a set of Zipp ceramic external-bearing BB for cheap, but
need to know if the two are compatible before putting my money
down.

Don't know much about Zipp bearings, but if you want the ultimate in
external bearing bbs, check out the new Phil Wood:

http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard%20Set.htm

I don't see what holds the spindle and what sort of spindle fits that
assembly. I also doubt what the free-fit aluminum sleeve and a free
fit (no taper or press) spindle that seems to fit in that sleeve won't
fret giving a grinding squeaking BB. I think PW would do better with
a cross section view of the assembly than a shiny photograph with
inadequate words to explain what the selected view shows.

Jobst Brandt
Old May 12th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nicholas Grieco

On May 12, 2:28*pm, wrote:
Someone wrote:
[...]

Would these steel outboard cups subject BB threads to more wear and
tear than do aluminum outboard cups?
Old May 12th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard%20Set.htm
I don't see what holds the spindle and what sort of spindle fits that
assembly. I also doubt what the free-fit aluminum sleeve and a free
fit (no taper or press) spindle that seems to fit in that sleeve won't
fret giving a grinding squeaking BB. I think PW would do better with
a cross section view of the assembly than a shiny photograph with
inadequate words to explain what the selected view shows.

Try this:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830605114.pdf

The new century brings new problems. This ain't your mum's crank format.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 13th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Nicholas Grieco wrote:

Quick question on external-bearing BBs: Are they all compatible?
Are the shaft diameters and spacing of these integrated cranks
the same? Â*I haven't worked on enough of these to find out by
myself yet. Â*I have a Shimano FC-R700 crankset, and someone near
me is selling a set of Zipp ceramic external-bearing BB for
cheap, but need to know if the two are compatible before putting
my money down.

Don't know much about Zipp bearings, but if you want the ultimate
in external bearing bbs, check out the new Phil Wood:

Â*http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard%20Set.htm

I don't see what holds the spindle and what sort of spindle fits
that assembly. Â*I also doubt what the free-fit aluminum sleeve and
a free fit (no taper or press) spindle that seems to fit in that
sleeve won't fret giving a grinding squeaking BB. Â*I think PW would
do better with a cross section view of the assembly than a shiny
photograph with inadequate words to explain what the selected view
shows.

Would these steel outboard cups subject BB threads to more wear and
tear than do aluminum outboard cups?

I don't believe outboard aluminum cups would last long, considering
that steel inboard cups destroy steel frame BB threads in longer use,
an experience I had after more then 150000 miles. If a tightly
installed steel right hand cup (made of bearing hardened steel) can
eat up steel BB shell threads, I believe that aluminum threads will be
eaten by fretting in a steel BB. I don't know what an aluminum BB
would do.

Jobst Brandt
Old May 13th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andrew Muzi wrote:

[...]

Exploded views are not as good as a cross section drawing, but then we
are all proud of our 3D CAD systems and need to show them.

Jobst Brandt
Old May 13th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Hank wrote:

bfd wrote:

Don't know much about Zipp bearings, but if you want the ultimate in
external bearing bbs, check out the new Phil Wood:

http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard%20Set.htm

Holy spit, you can get 'em in French!

Isn't that a bit like getting a saddle for an epileptic horse? Sooner
or later there will be other issues.

Chalo
Old May 13th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jobst Brandt wrote:

I don't believe outboard aluminum cups would last long, considering
that steel inboard cups destroy steel frame BB threads in longer use,
an experience I had after more then 150000 miles. If a tightly
installed steel right hand cup (made of bearing hardened steel) can
eat up steel BB shell threads, I believe that aluminum threads will be
eaten by fretting in a steel BB. I don't know what an aluminum BB
would do.

The one I made has been fine for the last nine years, despite
accumulating enough miles to wear out one set of very large cartridge
bearings:

http://picasaweb.google.com/chalo.co...82846418368274

Upon extracting the cups to press in new cartridges, I found the
threads and BB faces to be in fine condition. The stainless steel
spindle was only mildly burnished where it rode in the bearing inner
races.

Chalo