Load carrying devices.

Old June 8th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

Default Load carrying devices.

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:48:11 -0500, !Jones wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:22:12 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Somebody was making an entire bolt-on extended rear triangle they
called something like "Bike SUV" - that looked like it actually
worked, as long as there was a relatively smooth riding surface.

XtraCycle

Talk about a poor choice of name! Remember the car named "Matador"?
GM built it in the '70s, right?

Actually it was AMC
My tricycle is ridable on a smooth road *if* you don't hang a sharp
turn. When I bought it in Monterrey, NL, I asked the mechanic how it
turned... he shrugged and said (translating from Spanish): "If you
value your face as much as I value your face, then you may do as you
please." Therein, I found great wisdom!

Jones

Old June 8th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:22:12 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per !Jones:
rigs for carrying significant loads

Somebody was making an entire bolt-on extended rear triangle they called
something like "Bike SUV" - that looked like it actually worked, as long
as there was a relatively smooth riding surface.

I tried Googling, but no luck.

All I found was http://tinyurl.com/3gros2

Do you mean the xtracycle?:

http://www.xtracycle.com/
Old June 8th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 12:59:00 -0700, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com
wrote:

.. .
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Somebody was making an entire bolt-on extended rear triangle they
called something like "Bike SUV" - that looked like it actually
worked, as long as there was a relatively smooth riding surface.

Talk about a poor choice of name! Remember the car named "Matador"?
GM built it in the '70s, right?

No, it was built by AMC sometimes known as Nash.

And Hudson
Also , later, known as Rambler.
And Jeep - and for a while also Renault.

And AM General - the Hummer people was also part of the AMC group for
a while - along with Kelvinator

Old June 8th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
anth

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 15:22 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Somebody was making an entire bolt-on extended rear triangle they
called something like "Bike SUV" - that looked like it actually
worked, as long as there was a relatively smooth riding surface.

Xtracyle, alternate names for this sort of thing are longtail and Sport
Utility Bike.

http://xtracycle.com/

The Yuba Mundo is a complete bike which I think is compatible with
Xtracycle accessories (not certain of this though).

http://yubaride.com/

The Surly Big Dummy frame + fork definitely takes Xtracycle accessories.

http://www.surlybikes.com/bigdummy.html

The Kona Ute is a similar concept but incompatible.

http://www.konaworld.com/08_ute_w.htm

Old June 8th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

In article , Gary Young says...

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:22:12 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per !Jones:
rigs for carrying significant loads

Somebody was making an entire bolt-on extended rear triangle they called
something like "Bike SUV" - that looked like it actually worked, as long
as there was a relatively smooth riding surface.

I tried Googling, but no luck.

All I found was http://tinyurl.com/3gros2

Do you mean the xtracycle?:

http://www.xtracycle.com/

Amazingly enough, the bike is called "Marin Novato 2007 S.U.B."

http://www.xtracycle.com/2006-marin-novato-p-70.html

This is made by Marin Bike which is located in my small town of Novato! Marin
Bike is also the manufacturer of my "junker" bike from 1994.

twitch

Old June 8th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

It depends of load type:

http://www.bikesatwork.com/
http://www.bakfiets.nl/
http://www.christianiabikes.com/
http://www.workcycles.com/workbike/
http://nihola.info/
http://www.worksman.com/
http://www.xtracycle.com/

etc., etc.

!Jones wrote:
In your opinion, what are the best rigs for carrying significant loads
by pedal power? By "load", I mean a shopping cart with a week's
supply of groceries or similar... too much for a pannier.

Here are a couple that I like:

The B.O.B. trailer. http://www.bobgear.com/trailers/index.php
I own one of these and it pretty well lives up to its claims. I have
hauled up to 60 lb in it. (It's rated to 80.) I find that it tracks
very well... we use it with a tandem and it tracks better than the
bike does! It's easy to attach and drop. Downside: it's difficult to
back with a load and it's a tricky balancing act getting the load into
the trailer. Once you're loaded and pointed in the right direction,
it's great.

The triciclo de carga built in Mexico. Mine is like this one:
http://seguro.coppel.com/coppel/info...?codigo=516783 ;
however, different manufacturers have different configurations. These
are *dangerously* unstable at high speed and have ugly turning
charaisterics when pedaled. That said, they are a very good platform
when you need to carry loads beyond the BOB's capacity. If you're
straight and level and on a good surface, they can be pedaled
effectively in a low gear. If that's not so, then get off and push
it... it pushes easily and is quite stable for that operation. I
regularly carry two carts of groceries and 15 gallons of drinking
water home from the store... two miles... through the snow... uphill
both ways...

Others?

Jones

Old June 8th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

I first saw this when Jobst Brandt posted it:

http://aistigave.hit.bg/Logistics/
Old June 9th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Vey

!Jones wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 07:22:19 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
" wrote:

You might find some helpful ideas he-

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=261

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

Yes, I follow that one regularly.

That's where you will get the best info. I realize that all the Xtra
people hang out there, but if you ignore them, you will get other views.
Sorry.
Old June 9th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

" wrote:

You might find some helpful ideas he-

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=261

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

Yes, I follow that one regularly.

That's where you will get the best info. I realize that all the Xtra
people hang out there, but if you ignore them, you will get other views.
Sorry.

"Sorry"? I honestly cannot imagine why. Methinks that it's
appropriate to this forum also.

Jones

Old June 9th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 12:59:00 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech "Tom Kunich"
cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Talk about a poor choice of name! Remember the car named "Matador"?
GM built it in the '70s, right?

No, it was built by AMC sometimes known as Nash.

Right you are! The name translates to "killer", BTW. Obviously,
someone didn't think that it mattered.

Jones

Load carrying chinese style David Martin UK 12 April 25th 06 08:42 AM
Reviewing of Training Devices Colorado Bicycler General 0 November 11th 05 01:54 PM
Load carrying bike?? TrailRat UK 2 April 22nd 05 06:24 AM
compulsory h-devices Peter Clinch UK 82 November 13th 03 09:28 PM