cannondale 613...all that?

Old September 22nd 04, 05:26 PM
jim c

Default cannondale 613...all that?

opinions anyone? Is this bike as good as its press?

thanks
jim
Old September 23rd 04, 02:26 AM
Charles Beristain

opinions anyone? Is this bike as good as its press?

My friend has one... fantastic bike... but so light that it is illegal

charlie
Old September 23rd 04, 10:02 PM
SuperSlinky

jim c said...

opinions anyone? Is this bike as good as its press?

thanks
jim

I have a CAAD5 as well as a Six13, both new and equipped w/Centaur. The
Six13 I bought to replace the CAAD5 after I was hit by a car. Google for
the gory details if you want them. The CAAD5 frame is cracked (small, at
seat stay/seat tube weld), but I paid a LBS to get it rideable. Yes, I'm
living dangerously. But directly comparing the bikes, the Six13 is
clearly a quantum leap over the CAAD5, and the CAAD5 is a great bike,
IMO. It's the same frame the pros were racing just a few years ago. But
the Six13 has a much nicer ride, and the fit, position and overall feel
just has more mojo. I don't race, and I would lose if I did, so I don't
know if it is faster than any other high-end bike, but I was really
impressed with how good it felt just riding out the back door with only
a seatpost adjustment. I usually spend hours dialing in my bikes before
I can even get interested in riding them.

The bike shop was pushing everyone to test ride the Team Replica so I
tried that first. It had the best of everything, so I wasn't surprised
it was impressive. But then I tried the Centaur version, which has a
more sane price tag, as if $3000 for a bike is sane, and it felt like
the same bike. Subjectively, the ride and mechanicals seemed just as
good at only a little more than half the price. I actually liked the
Centaur version a little better because the slightly different part
selection just fit me better.
Old September 23rd 04, 10:46 PM
jim c

SuperSlinky wrote:
jim c said...

[...]

Thanks, I test rode the team version today, and while I am certainly far
far from an expert, I liked it.

jim