Best Bike for $4k?

Old July 5th 03, 11:08 PM
UMTERP

Default Best Bike for $4k?

I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled.
Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.

Thanks,

Dave

Old July 6th 03, 05:21 AM
Keeper of the Mighty Macaulay

on 7/5/03 3:08 PM, UMTERP asserted:

I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled.
Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to go custom to me. There are lots of
steel builders out there- I highly recommend Vanilla
(www.vanillabicycles.com) or Waterford.

Seng

Old July 6th 03, 04:41 PM
Newsgroups

I just sold my Litespeed Vortex and bought a Trek 5900. Best thing I
ever did. The Litespeed was a rocket but the Trek is just as fast with
the added bonus (along with the Easton carbon bars) of absorbing much
more road shock. It's a much more comfortable ride.

Just what I've personally experienced,
Troy

Old July 6th 03, 09:05 PM
Jay Hill

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
umterp- I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is
totalled.
Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel. BRBR

Moots with Chorus

Why doesn't the Moots site say what their frames are made out of?

Old July 7th 03, 11:52 AM
topdog

Newsgroups wrote in message ...
I just sold my Litespeed Vortex and bought a Trek 5900. Best thing I
ever did. The Litespeed was a rocket but the Trek is just as fast with
the added bonus (along with the Easton carbon bars) of absorbing much
more road shock. It's a much more comfortable ride.

Just what I've personally experienced,
Troy

I fully agree on carbon - I have been on steel and ti, and nothing
compares. A good friend recently traded his ti frame for a carbon Look
- he loved the ti until he went to carbon. He couldn't believe the
difference!

However, I'm definitely NOT a Trek fan. They're a mass-produced bike,
and just don't have the attention to details and quality I'd expect
for the price.
I agree fully with Peter's sentiment above - Calfee Tetra Pro.
Arguably the best carbon frame for under $2500. Their Luna Pro is
almost the same frame, but $1000 less for a few extra ounces of
weight.
Old July 7th 03, 01:32 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jay- Why doesn't the Moots site say what their frames are made out of?
BRBR

donno-they are all ti tho-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria