How to walk safely in clipless road shoes

Old August 12th 03, 05:09 AM
John Albergo

Default How to walk safely in clipless road shoes

Peter wrote:

I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard of
the protruding cleat found on many clipless road shoes especially when
walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve this problem and also to
allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store etcetera I come
across when riding) I bought an inexpensive pair of light-weight
sandals with a strap around the ankle and another strap over the foot
behind the toes. I put on my cycling shoes and slipped them into the
sandals and walked around until the cleat (Look/Shimano) made a slight
impression in the inside sole of the sandals. I removed the sandals
and using a razor knife with the blade locked carefully cut out the
cleat imprint. Now if I need or want to walk around I simply remove
the sandals from my cycling jersey (middle pocket) and slip them on
over my cycling shoes so that the cleat slips into the cutout area and
snug up the straps. They provide level footing and great traction even
on wet floors and are easily put on or taken off. Plus I can walk a
fair distance in them if need be. They are nearly as good as a pair of
shoes but without the bulk or the weight. I hope this idea will be of
use to some of you also.

For casual walking when off the bike, get a shoe that has enough 'soul'
so that the cleat doesn't contact the ground. For commuting situation I
just keep a pair of shoes at work.

I cannot understand why so many spd shoes are made to allow the cleat to
scrape the ground. All that is needed is a small amount of tread to
prevent this. What is the advantage to NOT having this material on the
shoe? Is this all in the interest of a few grams of weight? Or is it
catering to the notion that a "serious" bike shoe must be impractical?

Old August 12th 03, 03:14 PM
Bruce Hollebone

On 11 Aug 2003, Jobst Brandt wrote:

Anthony Anagnostou writes:

If you're going to consider SPDs, why not get a nice pair
of mountain shoes? for the life of me, nothing beats 'em
for walking around. unless you are professional, I can't
imagine they'd be holding you back any, and even then not
much.

I take it you didn't look at the TO92....

Shimano makes nice shoes, no question. They make narrow shoes,
however, such that even a fairly modest D width foot is
uncomfortable in them. For those of us with broader feet, Sidi
makes an excellent alternative in their so-called Mega width.
The Sidi Mega Dominator, despite its name, is a mostly black,
very comfortable shoe with a nice tread. The only difference
between the Dominator "mountain" shoe and its sister "Genius"
shoe is the sole and tread. A very nice touring shoe.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/Apparel/1600.lasso

(Despite the copy, the shoes fit men just fine too).

Kind Regards,
Bruce.
Old August 12th 03, 11:55 PM
Rick Onanian

On 11 Aug 2003 19:13:38 -0700, Peter wrote:
to implement and, 3 was inexpensive. The sandals I purchased cost less
than $10. They easily fit into my jersey pocket and are not bulky. In

I had thought to mention, but did not post, that your
idea is a good one; and an idea along similar lines,
which I've done, is to carry such sandals, and just
remove the cycling shoes to put on the sandals.

This has the added benefit of allowing your feet to
cool off and breathe. Of course, then you have to
deal with carrying around cycling shoes.

I saw somebody today in a sandwich shop who obviously
came in a car (obvious by the keys she was holding,
and the way she was holding them, and the lack of
helmet hair or sweat on a hot day), but was wearing
Diadora shoes that sure looked like cycling shoes,
right down to the velcro. I should have asked...

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 13th 03, 12:26 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 04:09:06 GMT, John Albergo wrote:
I cannot understand why so many spd shoes are made to allow the cleat to
scrape the ground. All that is needed is a small amount of tread to
prevent this. What is the advantage to NOT having this material on the
shoe? Is this all in the interest of a few grams of weight? Or is it
catering to the notion that a "serious" bike shoe must be impractical?

Maybe it's an elitist aero concern.

How about SPD-R? I was unable to find SPD-R shoes that
recess the cleat, because, supposedly, the cleat is too
big and such.

I ended up cutting blocks of rubber from some spare
sandals and using rubber cement to adhere them to my
shoes. It worked well, and rather than interfering
with pedal engagement, quite assisted in lining me up.

The rubber cement bond was not strong enough to the
plastic sole of the shoe, and the blocks came off.
They worked nicely for riding and walking while they
were on. I have since replaced the SPD-Rs with SPDs,
and the smaller cleat seems easier to walk on, but I
may yet try the same experiment, replacing rubber
cement with epoxy.

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 13th 03, 12:48 PM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:05:46 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:
Ditto shoes: aggressive tread (even though it's useless when you're
riding a bike), garish colors, ratchet devices to offer a fraction of the

Ever find a hill so steep that your MTB can't dig
in for enough traction?

The only way up is with a whole lot of traction from
aggressive tread on the shoes.

This doesn't apply, obviously, to road and touring.

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 13th 03, 01:34 PM

I'm on board with the Shoo-Goo idea. I coated the bottom of my Speedplay
cleats, and the toe and heel areas of my shoes before a week-long tour
that involved a lot of walking. Worked like a charm.