Take Care

Old April 22nd 09, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

Default Take Care

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:14:38 +0100, Peter Grange
wrote:

snip

She's already said she doesn't cycle because it's too dangerous, so
maybe she's put her theories into practice already :-)

Or then again perhaps I have years of cycling experience in this
country and abroad, I am observant, and have the ability to read and
digest articles, I can understand and apply common sense and I have no
need to impress others by jumping on the bandwagon; and I have no
need/or wish to cycle - having seen on here how it can addle brains
:-)

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Old April 22nd 09, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:28:47 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:21:21 +0100, "Budstaff"
wrote:

judith trolled:
Yes that's right - block other traffic whilst you saunter past at 5
mph

O RLY? You might like to take that up with the enormous queue of
stationary cagers who were holding each other up and impeding the
progress of cyclists along the embankment today.

"This manoeuvre is covered in Cyclecraft." - so what?

So it is recommended by a more valid source than your selective quoting of
random bits of studies that taken in isolation could be interpreted as
supporting whatever point you are maiking at the time, that's what!

Correct. The Highway Code is written by the Driving Standards Agency.
The clue is in the name - the last proposed revision and the dispute
resolution meetings around it showed, if there were ever any doubt,
that they have no idea about safe cycling and no intention of seeking
the expertise of those who do.

Guy

So Mr Chapman would rather go with a book written for profit (which he
has pretended at various times was endorsed by RoSPA and the DfT and
published by "Her Majesty's" Stationery Office -so that make it
official) rather than go with the Highway Code (produced by the
Department for Transport)

I am pretty sure that the author of the book has said that if there is
any doubt on interpretation then the Highway Code should always take
precedence over his book.

I guess Chapman will be able to confirm or deny that - just so that
there are no loose ends left lying about.

I wonder if he will.

Old April 24th 09, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete-the -Bike

My heartfelt thanks go to everyone who sent me messages of support
after my assault last week. Reading the report about the attack on
Eric Rogers in Cycling Weekly puts my small incident into perspective
and confirms my own feelings about the futility and risk of gesturing
to a motorists. It would be presumptuous of me to tell other cyclists
how to behave; we all have to make up our own minds. If my report
have raised awareness and contributed to the debate then that is a
good outcome.

The local police have been very supportive and the assailant has been
charged with assault. It will be some months before we know the final
outcome
Old May 1st 09, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Williams

Pete-the -Bike writes:

What was the gesture?
After he had overtaken me I moved my right hand from left to right
to indicate that he was too close and should have given me more
room, he blasted his horn so I repeated the movement.

Blimey. I routinely give this exact gesture to motorists behind me in
response to them leaning on their horn and making the opposite gesture
to me. To date, they've always taken this in good humour---realising
that I'm not seriously suggesting they drive their vehicles straight
into whatever hazard is to the right.

I don't give gestures to motorists in front. Once they have passed,
the onus is on me not to crash into them.

Even if I had given him the full fingers and shouted obscenities
there was no justification for his actions.

Absolutely not. But the description does make your riding style sound
more reactive than proactive. This is not a recipe for success when
there are incompetent road-raging drivers about.

Maybe you are asking my positioning on the road. Although a B road
it is narrow, in places there is only just room for vehicles to pass
each other. I was cycling on the left close to the grass verge.

[...]

Could you have moved over to the left a bit?
NO

IMO, it would have been wiser for you to ride further to the right if
only to give yourself a space into which you could escape.

Otherwise, I agree with mileburner in .

--
Mark
Old May 10th 09, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

Default Beginning off road skills ( Take Care)

In article , Alistair Gunn wrote:
Alan Braggins twisted the electrons to say:
I need to acquire some basic off-road skills though, if we're going to
try the black track again (we didn't all).

nods Seeing as how I'm now living in the mountains, I decided that
actually having a mountain bike might be a good idea. Then I got all
over enthusiastic beyond my skill level, and thus won't be using it for
about 3-4 weeks whilst I wait for the healing process to end! :-(

I have the opposite problem, lack of confidence and excessive hesitation.
But I wasn't quite as useless last time we went back - still needs more
practice, and any advice gratefully received.
(We did the red route as a family today, but mostly bypassing the wooden
lumps.)

Does anyone care Bill C Racing 6 September 29th 07 03:32 AM
I don't care what anyone says Tsarkon Racing 54 July 18th 06 05:44 AM
BR(x) map for those who care... PiledHigher Australia 10 March 10th 05 02:06 AM
BR(x) map for those who care... flyingdutch Australia 31 March 6th 05 11:30 PM
Why do you care about Crit Pro? kaiser Racing 5 August 30th 04 05:52 PM