handlebar

Old January 11th 18, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default handlebar

Frank Krygowski wrote:

As you demonstrated, Alibaba sells stainless
steel bars, minimum order 1000 - in other
words, "Place your order and we'll tool up
and make you some."

Alibaba sells aluminum ones too, minimum
order one - in other words "Yes, they're so
common we always keep them in stock."

Well, this was an interesting definition how
exotic an item is, and I suppose as good as
any, but if so the second item on that
page [1], the "stainless steel bike handlebars
bike", one only has to order 30 pieces, and
besides, there seems to be many, many items
that are in the 1000 or even 3000 class
of exoticness.

[1] https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/sta...andlebars.html

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old January 11th 18, 09:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 3:28:17 AM UTC, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

As you demonstrated, Alibaba sells stainless
steel bars, minimum order 1000 - in other
words, "Place your order and we'll tool up
and make you some."

Alibaba sells aluminum ones too, minimum
order one - in other words "Yes, they're so
common we always keep them in stock."

Well, this was an interesting definition how
exotic an item is, and I suppose as good as
any, but if so the second item on that
page [1], the "stainless steel bike handlebars
bike", one only has to order 30 pieces, and
besides, there seems to be many, many items
that are in the 1000 or even 3000 class
of exoticness.

[1] https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/sta...andlebars.html

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Nah, that's just Franki-boy blustering and lying, lying, lying to cover up that his ignorance has been exposed, and exposing even more ignorance. Alibaba is a *wholesale* site; basically it gets rid of the overproduction of Chinese Communist central planning; Frank Krygowski is just lying that it deals in future production because he never admits that he's in error; or perhaps he's too dumb to grasp that the essence of a wholesale market is large unit numbers. The *retail* sister site (owned by the same people as Alibaba) where you can buy a single unit is called Aliexpress, where in less than ten seconds I found this: "SENQI 2016 25.4mm* 22.2mm* 470mm Bicycle Handlebar Silver Colour Stainless Steel Bike € 19,63 / piece Free Shipping". I know Franki-boy is the dullest boy in the class, so I specifically told him "or buy just one on Aliexpress to educate yourself", which he ignores in his reply, a lie by omission.

Notice how Franki-boy doesn't deal with my point that a mainstream component supplier like Humpert lists several stainless steel handlebars (even after the Great Ignoramus Krygowski declared them "almost nonexistent"! -- the cheek of these Europeans!) which are fitted to so many of the better European brands that I have several.

Notice also how Franki-boy tries to divert attention from his bog-ignorance by another lie, about my "girth". Krygowski has never seen me, so he doesn't know what I look like. Krygowski just lies and lies every time he's caught out pronouncing on something he doesn't know anything about and is too lazy or incompetent to research. This is poor quality smoke, Franki-boy, even by your deplorably low standards.

The problem with Franki-boy, besides being a blustering bully and a foul mannered thug, is that he is so terribly provincial, and xenophobic with it: if it didn't happen on his street corner, it can't be true, and if a foreigner says something, it must automatically be untrue.

Andre Jute
Do your duty by society today: stomp a lying bullyboy like Frank Krygowski.
Old January 11th 18, 10:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 09/01/18 01:01, Emanuel Berg wrote:
On steel frame bikes, what material are
handlebars typically made of?

Unless it's from the 1970s an aluminium alloy.

It seems lighter and more shiny than the frame,
but perhaps this is a property of the coating
and/or the steel itself rather than indicative
of another material altogether?

Is the handlebar the most safety-critical part
of the bike?

I have seen several brake but this never
happened to me nor did I ever sense any
inclination it would. Is this because of other
people's more aggressive riding style or do
they have thinner handlebar pipes, or pipes in
softer material?

Never heard of anyone braking a handlebar in normal usage.

Old January 11th 18, 10:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 10/01/18 09:05, Andre Jute wrote:
Just tap the bar with your fingernail. Ali sounds duller than steel.
Ali also looks duller than steel. Ali will also display a thicker
wall than steel. Finally, it is very likely that an Ali handlebar
will have a larger diameter than a steel 'bar.

Going to make fitting that stem a long Sunday afternoon job!

Old January 11th 18, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:46:01 PM UTC, Frank Krygowski wrote:

But unlike aluminum ones, stainless steel bars are
very rare, if not nonexistent.

Just because your weight-weenie, replace after one season or die, racer LBS
doesn't carry them? Chances are it doesn't offer full Joergian-strength
cromo bars either.

I chuckled at your "non-existent" stainless steel bars. It's so dumb,
nobody will believe it. I have two stainless steel handlebars on bikes in
the loft, and probably more in boxes of components. One I chose from the
Humpert catalogue to be fitted to my Utopia Kranich as a temporary measure
just to see how I liked something different from my normal North Road Bars.
In Europe Humpert bars are the mainstream for upscale bikes, and they're
nutters for testing components. If they list stainless bars, you may be
absolutely certain there is nothing wrong with stainless bars.

You should check your facts, Franki-boy.
Andre Jute
Always happy to help

PS The Humpert catalogue also comes in English

http://ergotec.de/files/service/downloads/Humpert-Katalog_2018.pdf

A few shapes I remember Utopia offers, or at least used to offer, in
stainless steel aren't in ergotec's 2018 issue. They might slowly get
replaced by "MAS-Nb" steel. But it still shows some.
Old January 11th 18, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 11/01/2018 5:57 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:46:01 PM UTC, Frank Krygowski wrote:

But unlike aluminum ones, stainless steel bars are
very rare, if not nonexistent.

Just because your weight-weenie, replace after one season or die, racer LBS
doesn't carry them? Chances are it doesn't offer full Joergian-strength
cromo bars either.

My weight-weenie, replace after one season or die, racer LBS carries
steel bars. Why wouldn't they? They sell steel bikes. For sure they
stock more aluminum, alloy or carbon bars than steel but they carry them.

Old January 11th 18, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/11/2018 5:57 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:46:01 PM UTC, Frank Krygowski wrote:

But unlike aluminum ones, stainless steel bars are
very rare, if not nonexistent.

Just because your weight-weenie, replace after one season or die, racer LBS
doesn't carry them? Chances are it doesn't offer full Joergian-strength
cromo bars either.

Here in America, aluminum seems to be the default material for
handlebars on any adult bike above department store quality. Steel
handlebars are typically found on budget bikes. There are some steel
handlebars available for higher quality bikes, but I don't recall ever
seeing or hearing of a set made of stainless steel.

The aluminum upright bars I bought came from a bike shop in a major city
selling a wide variety of good bikes, including (for example) a very
sweet Bianchi city bike that I test-rode. The bars cost me $7 on sale.
They have been on the city bike I built for perhaps five years now. I've
not replaced them this season or any other season, and I doubt I ever
will; and I very much doubt that they'll kill me.

A few shapes I remember Utopia offers, or at least used to offer, in
stainless steel aren't in ergotec's 2018 issue. They might slowly get
replaced by "MAS-Nb" steel. But it still shows some.

Jute claimed aluminum ones were "specialty items." Which are more common
in the catalog - stainless steel or aluminum?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 11th 18, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/11/2018 4:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 09/01/18 01:01, Emanuel Berg wrote:
On steel frame bikes, what material are
handlebars typically made of?

Unless it's from the 1970s an aluminium alloy.

It seems lighter and more shiny than the frame,
but perhaps this is a property of the coating
and/or the steel itself rather than indicative
of another material altogether?

Is the handlebar the most safety-critical part
of the bike?

I have seen several brake but this never
happened to me nor did I ever sense any
inclination it would. Is this because of other
people's more aggressive riding style or do
they have thinner handlebar pipes, or pipes in
softer material?

Never heard of anyone braking a handlebar in normal usage.

I have one friend who broke a handlebar during a sprint. This was back
in the 1980s. The break occurred where the manufacturer had drilled a
hole in the handlebar near the stem, for (IIRC) some sort of aerodynamic
routing of the brake cable.

It's a very silly place to drill a stress riser.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 11th 18, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/11/2018 2:57 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

You can also order stainless steel bars via Aliexpress, the consumer
branch of Alibaba:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle-stainless-steel-Arcuate-one-shaped-handlebar-retro-Vintage-bike-handlebar-city-commuter-recreational-old-cycling/32730342044.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle-stainless-steel-swallow-shaped-handlebar-retro-Vintage-bike-handlebar-city-commuter-recreational-old-bar/32654022918.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle-Accessories-stainless-steel-U-shaped-handlebar-bend-to-the-retro-Vintage-bike-handlebar-city-commuter/32653525372.html

Old January 11th 18, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Krygowski wrote:

[...]

British made Raleigh Sports had the original chromed steel
North Road handlebar and the Raleigh Sprite came with the
All Rounder shape also in chromed steel. These were both
high volume popular models and much copied for many years
after their demise.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Handlebar in the eye MrCheerful UK 0 September 9th 17 11:22 PM
Handlebar rotation John B.[_3_] Techniques 284 July 23rd 17 02:59 AM
Handlebar Help Duram Recumbent Biking 1 February 6th 08 07:42 PM
handlebar- and bum bag Karen Lipkow UK 5 April 12th 04 08:04 AM
handlebar bag support Steve Watkin UK 7 January 7th 04 09:47 PM