Polar Power: Cadence light works, no data to monitor (Speed works)

Old February 4th 05, 05:52 PM
Andrew F Martin

Default Polar Power: Cadence light works, no data to monitor (Speed works)

I have googled for 20 minutes and not been able to find someone with
similar issues (although there are a ton of Polar issues posted).

I have the 720 with Power attachment. It has worked fine in the past.
When I do the start-up tests, I get the orange, red, and green lights
for Speed, Chain, and Cadence. When I actually start to ride, the
autostart works and speed is measured. What is puzzling is that the
cadence/power do not. Since I am able to see in my light test that the
cadence works, I am wondering why it might be taking in speed data, but
not cadence. Any thoughts here?

- Not the interface with the monitor: speed functions
- Not that the cadence pickup isn't working: lights go off
- Not that the system isn't looking for Cadence/Power: Both options are
"On" in the monitor

Any thoughts or troubleshooting ideas are appreciated.

-a

Old February 4th 05, 06:35 PM

I've had the same problem. One gets zero power measurement if you have
no cadence. The cadence magnet setup that Polar ships with is
notoriously weak and finicky. Is the cadence magnet solidly attached
to the crank? Is the power pickup solidly attached to the chainstay?
Any movement and you are screwed. Is the doohicky on the derailleur
close enough to the chain? Is the doohicky on the derailleur solidly
in place? If you place your bike in a vehicle for transport it's very
easy to move one of the sensors out of alignment.

http://lists.topica.com/lists/wattage/read

http://www.midweekclub.com/powerFAQ.htm

Old February 4th 05, 10:27 PM
Andrew F Martin

Yeah, that's just it - the cadence seems to pick up no problem as
indicated by the green light during startup, but it never is shown on
the monitor. Strange for sure.

Old February 5th 05, 05:22 PM
Per Elmsäter

Andrew F Martin wrote:
[...]

One thing that comes to mind is the one time when I didn't attach my watch
properly to the mount. Ie the two small pointy things did not connect
properly. This gave me a whole ride with no Power data.
Another thing to check is the cadence magnet as Steven says. I don't know
how you can be so sure that the different colored LEDs are lighting up. I
sure as hell can barely tell the difference between the colors as it seems
there is a color "leak" somewhere.
When I for instance do my cadence check I make sure neither the wheel nor
the chain is moving, much. Easiest by placing the crank right by the sensor
and moving it back and forth about 5 mm.
I also bought myself a rare earth magnet and glued it on to my pedal axle.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Old February 7th 05, 12:00 AM
Andrew F Martin

Thanks for the ideas. I have had issues with the watch contacts as
well, but that's not the case now because I get speed information (I'm
using the wired speed, not wireless). So that can't be the issue. My
LEDs are really bright for some reason. The green is easy to see,
while the orange and red are similar, but discernable. I did the rare
earth thing too, but I actually got better results from the original
magnet. I'm going to swap watches with a buddy to see what I can
figure out.

-a

Old February 9th 05, 05:36 PM
Andrew F Martin

Andrew F Martin wrote:
Thanks for the ideas. I have had issues with the watch contacts as
well, but that's not the case now because I get speed information

(I'm
using the wired speed, not wireless). So that can't be the issue.

My
LEDs are really bright for some reason. The green is easy to see,
while the orange and red are similar, but discernable. I did the

rare
earth thing too, but I actually got better results from the original
magnet. I'm going to swap watches with a buddy to see what I can
figure out.

-a

Seems that there are connection issues somewhere in the line. Today I
lost speed measurements even when I move the sensor. I also don't have
the orange light anymore for chain speed. The Green cadence and Red
speed still work. Strange.

Old February 18th 05, 06:22 PM
Michael

I don't pretend to know much about cyclos and such but while I think I
understand what "speed" and "cadence" indicators are for, I have no idea
what a "chain" indicator would be for. The one thing that my
imagination came up regarding "chain" - that the chain is moving - is
redundant. No?

Just curious.

Michael
Old February 18th 05, 11:16 PM
Per Elmsäter

http://midweekclub.ca/powerFAQ.htm#Q5

Old February 19th 05, 05:11 PM
Michael

"Per Elmsäter" wrote:

Michael wrote:
I don't pretend to know much about cyclos and such but while I think I
understand what "speed" and "cadence" indicators are for, I have no
idea what a "chain" indicator would be for. The one thing that my
imagination came up regarding "chain" - that the chain is moving - is
redundant. No?

Just curious.

Michael

http://midweekclub.ca/powerFAQ.htm#Q5

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Thanks for that, Perre. Measure/track power .... who-da thunk!
Suddenly my home-made instantaneous speed logger looks ... er ...
pedestrian.

Michael
Old February 20th 05, 06:24 AM
Weisse Luft

Check setup on the monitor. Sounds like you have lost the cadence
turned on. Could be you are on your #2 bike when the power setup is on
#1 bike setting.

--
Weisse Luft

Why not generator lights? davidd86 Techniques 419 January 7th 05 04:43 PM
Fun fun fun Jon Senior UK 140 May 4th 04 05:14 PM
Polar Power Sensor Installation Marathon General 2 September 30th 03 10:35 PM
FS: Polar S710 HRM and Power Uint Chris Daggs Marketplace 0 July 15th 03 10:40 PM