Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

Old January 7th 18, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as elbow pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are clear. Do you?

Cheers
Old January 7th 18, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 22:28:36 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the
roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as elbow
pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are clear. Do you?

My approach to that is to switch to walking. When there's black ice,
it's too damned cold for pleasant cycling- and to be honest,
pleasantness is an important factr in riding a bike for me. My bigger
concern is that half or more of drivers are barely paying attention when
the streets are clear- combine obliviousness with black ice and I don't
wanna be out there.
Old January 7th 18, 11:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Cold ? Number of stiff elderly dieing from head injuries walking on un seen ice is high enough for public comment.

Old January 7th 18, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&....0.PAHTeGWoRrM

Old January 7th 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Sir Ridesalot" wrote in message
Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the roads
if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as elbow pads)
that they'd not normally wear when the roads are clear. Do you?

Cheers

Maybe I should - my front tyre is pretty much a slick.

But its taking an awful long time to wear through to the canvas.

Old January 7th 18, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 1:28:40 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as elbow pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are clear. Do you?

I'm with Tim McNamara on this.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old January 8th 18, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 10:52:55 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/7/2018 12:39 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 1:28:40 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as elbow pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are clear. Do you?

I'm with Tim McNamara on this.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

+1
when buses and beer trucks are doing the hula across the
curbs, there's no place in the street for a bicycle.

If it's sheet ice, it's hard standing up let alone riding a bike, even with studs. It's a no-ride day for me. Black ice often occurs on otherwise rideable days -- you gain a few hundred feet in elevation or ride through a shady spot. When I ride on those days, I don't put on armor -- I just go slowly in suspicious areas, and I typically stay out of the hills or do dirt climbs if I have to climb.

Hard pack snow and ice can be rideable, particularly with studs, but around here, I'll only ride in the fluffy stuff. It's not consistently cold in PDX, and on day two or three after a snowfall, all the pedestrian trails end up with deep, refrozen boot-holes that are unrideable. The roads might be rideable, but the lanes are too narrowed, and PDX drivers don't know how to cope with snow.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 7th 18, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 12:28:40 AM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as elbow pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are clear. Do you?

Cheers

If there is a chance of black ice, or any ice or slick condition, I use carbide studded tires on my bike. With studded tires, ice is irrelevant. Studded tires have perfect grip on ice or anything else. I use normal helmet and lots of winter cycling clothes when using studded tires. So I have two, three thicknesses of clothes to protect my body if I were to fall. But with studded tires, you can't fall.