Tyler's Tour Jersey *Stolen*

Old August 27th 03, 03:35 PM
Time Cop

Default Tyler's Tour Jersey *Stolen*

Tyler Hamilton writes in his "Tyler Tunes" Journal on VeloNews.com:

"We flew from Barcelona through London Heathrow on to New York-JFK on
August 1st. We arrived to find one of our bags was lost. It was a carry
on backpack we were told was too heavy to bring on board. It was full of
newspaper and magazine articles my wife had saved from the Tour. It also
contained a bunch of other race paraphernalia, most importantly, the
jersey I wore during my stage victory.

Long story short, we finally received the bag from British Airways 20
days after the fact. We had been back in Europe for almost two weeks by
then, so we had sort of given up hope of seeing it again. It was cut up,
damaged and the contents were all a wreck. And my jersey was gone.

Traveling as much as I do, I'm used to losing bags. I think it happens
at least 10 times a year. But it's another thing all together to have
something stolen from you. You would think with heightened security at
the airports these days that theft was not an option. And considering
you are no longer allowed to lock your bags, it seems fair to assume
surveillance in baggage areas would be extremely high. But to have a
backpack sliced up with a knife and pilfered from, proves that this is
not always the case. So be careful when you check things these days.

And seriously, if you ever see or hear of anyone offering to sell a 2003
CSC Team jersey with my name and the Tour de France numbers "71" on the
back, contact the webmaster of this site to let us know - It's most
likely my stolen shirt. I've only given one other one like it away to a
friend, and as far as I know he's keeping it. So there shouldn't be
anything out there remotely similar."

Old August 28th 03, 02:26 AM
Richard Adams

The world is surely going to heck. Not only are there thieves operating
under the gaze of the best security the airlines can muster, but the
thieves are so stupid they take a knife to an unlocked bag.

It'll probably show up on eBay...

Old August 28th 03, 03:51 PM
Rabid Chihauhau

The airlines have suddenly become incredibly anal over carry-on baggage
weight. We ran into an overzealous ticket agent in Lyon this summer. The
problem, however, is easily remedied. The agent announces that your carry-on
is too heavy - so shift a few heavy items to your 'personal item' bag (in my
case I moved a few bottles of wine). As soon as you leave the agent's sight,
just return the items back to your carry-on.

-r

Old August 28th 03, 04:32 PM
Bob

Yeah, great...

As someone who has been hit on the head with a carry-on bag from the
overhead compartment, I say -- "Check your bags". You jerks that carry
everything you own on the plane are the problem. Not the "overzealous ticket
agents".

-Bob

Old August 28th 03, 06:35 PM
Tom Schulenburg

"trg" wrote in message
"Be sure to exercise caution when opening the overhead bins as the

contents
may have shifted during flight".

How many times do you have to get hit over the head to take them at their
word?

It's never the person opening the overhead bin that gets hit, it's the poor
sap sitting in the aisle seat.

-T

Old August 28th 03, 08:42 PM
Jkpoulos7

As someone who has been hit on the head with a carry-on bag from the
overhead compartment, I say -- "Check your bags".

Why? So things get stolen and you have to wait to collect them?
Old August 28th 03, 08:47 PM
trg

You're suggesting that if it's not you getting conked on the noggin, then
you can ignore basic safety procedures? Another reason I take a window seat
.

"Tom Schulenburg" a écrit dans le message de
m...

"trg" wrote in message
"Be sure to exercise caution when opening the overhead bins as the

contents
may have shifted during flight".

How many times do you have to get hit over the head to take them at

their
word?

It's never the person opening the overhead bin that gets hit, it's the

poor
sap sitting in the aisle seat.

-T

---

Old August 28th 03, 10:56 PM
Tom Schulenburg

"trg" wrote in message
You're suggesting that if it's not you getting conked on the noggin, then
you can ignore basic safety procedures? Another reason I take a window

seat
.

Quite the opposite. I'm saying that the person who got hit in the head was
not the one who failed to exercise caution when opening the bin. Your
statement seemed to imply that it was his own fault.

-T