OUCH

Old March 10th 11, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default OUCH

Steve Walker wrote:
Nuxx Bar wrote:
Cyclist hit head on by car, looks bloody painful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJBNiEVSug

Incidents like that are belittled by people like Jackson who go out
with their helmet cams looking for trouble.

Atrocious driving by the motorist. No fault whatsoever by the
cyclist IMHO.

sees a vehicle heading towards him (which any competent road user could see
was a possibility) takes no avoiding action and is travelling too fast to
stop . They are both at fault.

Old March 10th 11, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 10/03/2011 14:11, Mrcheerful wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Nuxx Bar wrote:
Cyclist hit head on by car, looks bloody painful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJBNiEVSug

Incidents like that are belittled by people like Jackson who go out
with their helmet cams looking for trouble.

Atrocious driving by the motorist. No fault whatsoever by the
cyclist IMHO.

sees a vehicle heading towards him (which any competent road user could see
was a possibility) takes no avoiding action and is travelling too fast to
stop . They are both at fault.

According to DougLaw(tm) if you can't stop in time then you must be
going to fast.

And before you shout at me I do not agree with DougLaw(tm)

Mini roundabouts are a menace, at one customers I used to visit you had
to turn left on leaving their premises, the only way you could travel in
the other direction was to do what is in effect a 'U' turn at a mini
roundabout.
Nobody expected you to do that, so you did it very carefully.

Old March 10th 11, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Steve Walker wrote:
Nuxx Bar wrote:
[...]

Exactly, taking care at dangerous spots saves having a crash. It is not
really a problem to negotiate junctions and mini roundabouts with extreme
caution, dare I say it: even slow down.

Old March 10th 11, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 10/03/2011 13:38, Steve Walker wrote:

Nuxx Bar wrote:

Cyclist hit head on by car, looks bloody painful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJBNiEVSug
Incidents like that are belittled by people like Jackson who go out
with their helmet cams looking for trouble.

Atrocious driving by the motorist. No fault whatsoever by the cyclist IMHO.

No fault *whatever*?

When I was taught to drive, I was taught - with strong emphasis - that
whenever traversing a junction (still less a closely-packed series of
junctions), one should slow down and be ready to stop. That is because people
make mistakes, and you have no way of preventing other peoples' mistakes.

As a driver, I would not have proceeded through that terrain, in those
traffic conditions, at the apparent speed of that cyclist (I use the word
"apparent" in case there is a video artefact which speeds up the action). And
had I done so (I wouldn't have), I would expect criticism for it, accident or no.

Being in the right doesn't help you recover from injuries and doesn't recall
anyone from the realm of the dead.
Old March 10th 11, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
Steve Walker wrote:
Nuxx Bar wrote:
Cyclist hit head on by car, looks bloody painful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJBNiEVSug

Incidents like that are belittled by people like Jackson who go out
with their helmet cams looking for trouble.

Atrocious driving by the motorist. No fault whatsoever by the
cyclist IMHO.

sees a vehicle heading towards him (which any competent road user could
see was a possibility) takes no avoiding action and is travelling too fast
to stop . They are both at fault.

It *was* 100% the driver's fault.

Mr Pounder

Old March 10th 11, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Steve Walker wrote:
Nuxx Bar wrote:
Cyclist hit head on by car, looks bloody painful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJBNiEVSug

Incidents like that are belittled by people like Jackson who go out
with their helmet cams looking for trouble.

Atrocious driving by the motorist. No fault whatsoever by the
cyclist IMHO.

sees a vehicle heading towards him (which any competent road user
could see was a possibility) takes no avoiding action and is
travelling too fast to stop . They are both at fault.

It *was* 100% the driver's fault.

Mr Pounder

The cyclist failed to take avoiding action when there was time to do so.
Just because someone else does something silly there is no requirement to
crash into them, and it is very silly to do so, especially when you are an
unprotected cyclist.

Old March 10th 11, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 10/03/2011 19:04, Mrcheerful wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:
wrote in message
Steve Walker wrote:
Nuxx Bar wrote:
Cyclist hit head on by car, looks bloody painful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJBNiEVSug

Incidents like that are belittled by people like Jackson who go out
with their helmet cams looking for trouble.

Atrocious driving by the motorist. No fault whatsoever by the
cyclist IMHO.

sees a vehicle heading towards him (which any competent road user
could see was a possibility) takes no avoiding action and is
travelling too fast to stop . They are both at fault.

It *was* 100% the driver's fault.

Mr Pounder

The cyclist failed to take avoiding action when there was time to do so.
Just because someone else does something silly there is no requirement to
crash into them, and it is very silly to do so, especially when you are an
unprotected cyclist.

Quite so.

If it were the other way round (ie, the cyclist moving out onto the
mini-roundabout into the path of a moving car), there'd be a chorus of
disapproval here for the actions of the driver.
Old March 10th 11, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

Steve Walker wrote:
Nuxx Bar wrote:
Cyclist hit head on by car, looks bloody painful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJBNiEVSug

Incidents like that are belittled by people like Jackson who go out
with their helmet cams looking for trouble.

Atrocious driving by the motorist. No fault whatsoever by the
cyclist IMHO.

sees a vehicle heading towards him (which any competent road user
could see was a possibility) takes no avoiding action and is
travelling too fast to stop . They are both at fault.

It *was* 100% the driver's fault.

Mr Pounder

The cyclist failed to take avoiding action when there was time to do so.
Just because someone else does something silly there is no requirement to
crash into them, and it is very silly to do so, especially when you are an
unprotected cyclist.

Look, I like cyclists as much as you do.
The car pulled out in front of him.

Mr Pounder

Old March 10th 11, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 10, 7:04*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
The cyclist failed to take avoiding action when there was time to do so.
*Just because someone else does something silly there is no requirement to
crash into them, and it is very silly to do so, especially when you are an
unprotected cyclist.- Hide quoted text -

On a bike, there becomes a point of no return when you just have to
trust that the driver has seen you and will give way. Once you have
passed that point you are in their hands, unless you assume nobody
ever sees you and you pull up at every give way point "just in case"
which will no doubt aggravate the situation even more and annoy the
people behind you.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 10th 11, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Steve Walker wrote:
Nuxx Bar wrote:
[...]

yes it did, and a competent road user would not have collided with it.

ouch congokid UK 3 January 30th 07 12:03 AM
ouch!!!! Chexjc Unicycling 19 October 12th 06 04:21 PM
Ouch D.M. Procida UK 22 September 5th 06 02:52 PM
Ouch! David Martin UK 1 August 22nd 05 08:32 AM
Ouch again! Bill C Racing 0 July 15th 05 11:55 PM