OUCH

Old March 11th 11, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

Default OUCH

On 10/03/2011 02:57, Nuxx Bar wrote:
Cyclist hit head on by car, looks bloody painful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJBNiEVSug

Incidents like that are belittled by people like Jackson who go out
with their helmet cams looking for trouble.

Nail, hit, head.

What kind of tosser goes out with a ****ing camera on his bike?

Old March 11th 11, 06:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dex

On 10/03/2011 09:34, Mrcheerful wrote:
Dex wrote:
On 10/03/2011 07:11, Mrcheerful wrote:
Nuxx Bar wrote:
Cyclist hit head on by car, looks bloody painful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJBNiEVSug

Incidents like that are belittled by people like Jackson who go out
with their helmet cams looking for trouble.

riding faster than the conditions dictate and probably no signal,
both cyclist and car at fault.

What a load of bull, the conditions couldn't have been much better,
bright clear day, dry road, nothing in front of him, probably nothing
behind.

The cyclist was already level with the mini-roundabout when the car
crossed the line, so no time for 'signalling', whatever signal means
your taking the second exit, and no time to slow down.

Why must you always lay part of the blame on the innocent party just
because they don't have an engine?

That motorist was either not paying attention and didn't see the
cyclist or somehow assumed the cyclist was taking the 1st exit
without bothering to signal.

The driver of the black car on the other side of the road pulled out
because he was expecting him to give way to the cyclist.

100% the drivers fault.

I come across similar circumstances almost every day, yet I don't crash into
them. People make mistakes, they misjudge which exit you are taking, that
is just part of using the roads.

Nope. There are THOUSANDS of accidents on our roads due to this type of
behaviour, how many of them got the blame for the other party pulling
out in front of them?

If the cyclist had been taking sufficient
care the crash would not have occurred,

Rubbish, save the vid to your favourite media player and see how much
time the cyclist had to react once the driver crossed the line, then
remember your highway code for thinking and braking distances when
trying to stop.

likewise if the car had been more
cautious the crash would not have happened, both parties are at fault.

By the looks of the comments the DRIVER was the one prosecuted, not
both, and the coppers had the evidence to prove it was only one parties
fault, the motorist.

It
is no good being 'in the right' if you crash into something, whether you are
in a car or not. But if you are very vulnerable like a cyclist then it
makes even more sense to ride very cautiously and with massive forethought.

As to the indication: the cyclist should have (may have) indicated right on
approach to the roundabout (and hopefully left before his exit, but that is
less likely) and I would have taken a further right road position and
proceeded cautiously till I had at least made eye contact with the car
driver and was certain it was staying put.

Look at the vid again, none of the cars seen were indicating, especially
the bloke pulling out in front of the cyclist, yet the cyclist was at
fault for not indicating?

Very twisted logic.

Let's hope you are never seen anywhere near a crash investigation.

Old March 11th 11, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Nuxx Bar wrote:
[...]

I am glad to see you agree that the cyclist was travelling too fast for the
situation.

Old March 11th 11, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:41:20 -0000, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:23:11 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

On 10/03/2011 20:20, Mrcheerful wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:

Look, I like cyclists as much as you do.
The car pulled out in front of him.

yes it did, and a competent road user would not have collided
with it.

You would rather be provocative than accurate? Fair enough.

not at all. any competent road user would not have hit that car.

To be fair, that's imponderable. Maybe they would, maybe not.

I would still have expected a sufficiently cautious traveller to
make a serious attempt to slow, stop or change direction.

It appears to me that the cyclist did attempt to change direction,
but it was too little, too late.

The motorist slows down as he approaches the roundabout, then enters
the roundabout appearing to accelerate.

According to the cyclist, the motorist claimed he stopped at the
roundabout, but dazzled by sunlight moved cautiously forward. This
is evidently untrue, but from the cyclist's headcam it does look
like the driver is about to stop.

At the moment the driver enters the roundabout the cyclist
blasphemes, and tries to swerve to the right, but there is no time
to avoid the collision, even an instantaneous stop would not have
helped at that point.

so he was travelling too fast for the situation.

Evidently, yes. Had he been pootling at 5 mph he would have been able
to avoid the consequence of the incompetent driving of the culprit.

But that says little. It is not reasonable to expect cyclists to keep
to 5mph in case an unfit driver is approaching. The correct course of
action is to punish the unfit driver, and make him accept appropriate
remedial consequences.

If 5,mph is the right speed for a situation then use it. You can always
speed up later, it is after all a junction which is where most crashes
occur. More care by either party would have prevented this crash.
5mph, no injury sounds like an excellent result to me.

Old March 11th 11, 06:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dex

Nuxx Bar wrote:
[...]

Oh right... Do you slow down to 10 mph when coming to a junction when a
car is waiting to pull out, just to be on the safe side?

Didn't think so.

Old March 11th 11, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_4_]

Steve Walker wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:

[...]

I'll remember that advice next time I come to a mini roundabout, or
pass a side road, or any other junction with some cheerful chappie
behind me.

Old March 11th 11, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Nuxx Bar wrote:
[...]

We are talking about a vulnerable cyclist at a mini roundabout, he should
slow to whatever speed is the safe one for the situation. It is better to
be a little late in this world than early in the next. What is the point
of being injured unnecessarily?

Old March 11th 11, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Steve Walker wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:

[...]

Good, if everyone took enough care there would be no crashes.

Old March 11th 11, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote:

If 5,mph is the right speed for a situation then use it. You can always
speed up later, it is after all a junction which is where most crashes
occur. More care by either party would have prevented this crash.
5mph, no injury sounds like an excellent result to me.

Doesn't work. That sort of speed will a) frustrate any drivers behind you
and encourages them to try unsafe manoeuvres (and we've heard plenty here
from drivers complaining about cyclists slowing them down) and b)
encourages the cars at the roundabout to try to get onto the roundabout
before that "slow cyclist". So overall the incidence goes up not down if
you go too slow.

--
Tony

ouch congokid UK 3 January 30th 07 12:03 AM
ouch!!!! Chexjc Unicycling 19 October 12th 06 04:21 PM
Ouch D.M. Procida UK 22 September 5th 06 02:52 PM
Ouch! David Martin UK 1 August 22nd 05 08:32 AM
Ouch again! Bill C Racing 0 July 15th 05 11:55 PM