110's for my 29-er

Old August 28th 03, 01:58 AM
onewheeldave

Default 110's for my 29-er

Never thought I'd do this but have read too many posts about the extra
speed/smoothness of shorter cranks.

Having got fairly comfortable with 125's on the 29-er, yesterday I
ordered a pair of 110's and a pair of 102's from unicycle.uk.com.

They arrived at 8.00 am this morning (I think it was Mike Fule who
suggested Roger should be put in charge of the railways? at this rate he
should be running the country!)

I've no intention of putting the 102's on (may try them on the muni).

Tonight had a brief ride with the new 110's. In some ways they didn't
feel much different, in others they did i.e. I felt constantly a little
'unsteady'.

Also couldn't ride down a hill that was ok with the 125's.

No conclusions yet as it was the first ride and also it was dark.

One of the things that prompted me to try shorter was that, now I've
gotten comfortable with 125's I've had the strange feeling that I'm
going slow.

After 3 weeks of 29-ing and not using the muni I'm now quite scared of
riding it for fear that it may feel like the 20" did after several
months of riding the muni.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old August 28th 03, 02:06 AM
jagur

onewheeldave wrote:
*After 3 weeks of 29-ing and not using the muni I'm now quite scared
of riding it for fear that it may feel like the 20" did after several
months of riding the muni. *

it will,and you will be sweating twice as much on the Muni.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gall...x_flipped.gif]

Old August 28th 03, 05:26 AM
jagur

another thought.

you sould put on those 102's just to compare,its quite amazing how much
differance 8mm in crank arm lenth can make.if you put on the 102's for
awile then put the 110's back on they will feel so long.

Old August 28th 03, 05:35 AM
UniBrier

Try the 102s if for nothing less than the experience and comparison.

When I first got my 700c wheel set I threw on a 700x23c road tire with
102's. It was light, quick, but I couldn't go down some hills and I
didn't like fast stops. I then put on a Conti Top Touring 700x47 which
is also labelled 28x1.75. The 102's weren't too bad for rolling hills
but I really did not like them for downhill.

When I put 125's on they felt huge. I see no reason to go longer for
road use. I plan on ordering some 110's, sounds like that may be the
optimum length for me.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.

Ok, ya'll can resume your previous assignments, thanx. -C
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old August 28th 03, 10:37 PM
Des Devlin

pu tthe 102's on the 29 it will be great.
i can run 90's on my coker and its wkd. speed is awesome although 110's may
be more comfy on bigger hills.

go for speed!!!
Des
l-O