Interesting LA Times article

Old March 22nd 05, 04:38 PM
gse

Default Interesting LA Times article

Hello, usually a lurker but I thought this article was quite interesting to
post. I've learned much about mtn. biking just by reading your posts.
Good newsgroup. I live about 5 miles from Aliso/Woods park in So.Calif. and
ride 3 to 4 times a week. I guess were one big family...

Gary

http://www.latimes.com/features/outd...lines-outdoors

Old March 22nd 05, 04:54 PM
Ride-A-Lot

gse wrote:
Hello, usually a lurker but I thought this article was quite interesting to
post. I've learned much about mtn. biking just by reading your posts.
Good newsgroup. I live about 5 miles from Aliso/Woods park in So.Calif. and
ride 3 to 4 times a week. I guess were one big family...

Gary

http://www.latimes.com/features/outd...lines-outdoors

Seems like an anti-mtb article to me. Doesn't matter anyway. Once they
used MV's name the whole article lost all credibility.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old March 22nd 05, 05:12 PM
G.T.

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
gse wrote:
Hello, usually a lurker but I thought this article was quite interesting

post. I've learned much about mtn. biking just by reading your posts.
Good newsgroup. I live about 5 miles from Aliso/Woods park in So.Calif.

and
ride 3 to 4 times a week. I guess were one big family...

Gary

http://www.latimes.com/features/outd...lines-outdoors

Seems like an anti-mtb article to me. Doesn't matter anyway. Once they
used MV's name the whole article lost all credibility.

Not necessarily, "but horse hoofs do the most damage."

And I'll bet that Frapton whiner is whimpy little moron who thinks a
fireroad was designed for hiking.

Greg

Old March 22nd 05, 05:55 PM
Raptor

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
IMHO, mixing MTB and hiking just doesn't work that well. OTOH, good MTB trails
and good hiking trails seem to me tb quite different.... So maybe maybe on
positive move would be for authorities to encourage more trail breaking by
organized MTB-ers....

I hike and bike (more bike). On the trail(s) I do this, I've seen very
little trouble. Hikers yield almost universally - it's just 10X easier
to step off the trail than to stop, dismount and step/roll off the
trail. Most (slight majority) bikers utter a thanks, most hikers offer a
"hi."

Most negative experiences: people letting their dogs off-leash and
failing to clean up after them; and a group of asshole mtbers whose idea
of alerting a hiker (me) to their progress was, "WATCH OUT!"

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old March 22nd 05, 06:25 PM
Mtnbiker

"gse" wrote in message
Hello, usually a lurker but I thought this article was quite interesting
post. I've learned much about mtn. biking just by reading your posts.
Good newsgroup. I live about 5 miles from Aliso/Woods park in So.Calif.
and
ride 3 to 4 times a week. I guess were one big family...

Gary

http://www.latimes.com/features/outd...lines-outdoors

Nice quote from MV." "If a mountain bike travels 50 miles in a day, and
hikers travel only five miles, the destruction caused by bikes is 10 times
greater," said Michael Vandeman, a San Francisco hiker who lobbies to close
trails to cyclists. " Well we always knew he was extreme, but this explains
why. Hiker vs Mntbiker. Plain and simple. What bothers me is not so much his
ranting in amb newgroup(where we can plunk him)but in published media. Out
there most people believe what they read. Oh well. At least amb seniors know
the diff and truth about MV.

Old March 22nd 05, 06:26 PM
MattB

G.T. wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message

gse wrote:

Hello, usually a lurker but I thought this article was quite interesting

post. I've learned much about mtn. biking just by reading your posts.
Good newsgroup. I live about 5 miles from Aliso/Woods park in So.Calif.

and

ride 3 to 4 times a week. I guess were one big family...

Gary

http://www.latimes.com/features/outd...lines-outdoors

Seems like an anti-mtb article to me. Doesn't matter anyway. Once they
used MV's name the whole article lost all credibility.

Not necessarily, "but horse hoofs do the most damage."

And I'll bet that Frapton whiner is whimpy little moron who thinks a
fireroad was designed for hiking.

Greg

I thought they were to give pyromaniacs access to the resources they
need for their "sport".

Matt
Old March 22nd 05, 06:29 PM
Marc Gwadz

I thought the data/facts were pretty supportive of mtn biking, but then
they "balanced " it with absurd quotes.

the quotes in the article imply that 50 mile off-road mtn bike rides and
speeds of 30 mph on a mtn bike are somehow typical, while both in
reality are extreme, atypical examples.

marc

Old March 22nd 05, 06:48 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

gse wrote:
Hello, usually a lurker but I thought this article was quite
interesting to post. I've learned much about mtn. biking just by
reading your posts.
Good newsgroup. I live about 5 miles from Aliso/Woods park in
So.Calif. and ride 3 to 4 times a week. I guess were one big family...

Yay!

http://www.latimes.com/features/outd...lines-outdoors

Check these lines out:
"Despite safety concerns, accidents seem rare. A 1993 study of 40 Forest
Service managers found that only one hiker had been injured by a mountain
bike in the previous year.

Another federal survey of 1,400 users in California's Los Padres National
Forest in 1989 found that only 15 bike and hiker encounters were potentially
harmful, and the only accident involved bikes colliding with each other -
when riders tried to avoid a hiker."

1993 and 1989??? These were when mountain bikes were gaining their
foothold... the state of MTB is vastly different 16 years later!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old March 22nd 05, 07:48 PM
Jason

gse wrote:
Hello, usually a lurker but I thought this article was quite interesting to
post. I've learned much about mtn. biking just by reading your posts.
Good newsgroup. I live about 5 miles from Aliso/Woods park in So.Calif. and
ride 3 to 4 times a week. I guess were one big family...

Gary

http://www.latimes.com/features/outd...lines-outdoors

Wonder how mikeys going to spin this part:

They found that hikers and horses "have more surface contact than … the
mountain bike, so statistically, boots and hoofs cause more change,"
said coauthor and geography professor John Wilson, who now teaches at USC.

Jason
Old March 22nd 05, 08:25 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-22, Marc Gwadz penned:

the quotes in the article imply that 50 mile off-road mtn bike rides and
speeds of 30 mph on a mtn bike are somehow typical, while both in reality
are extreme, atypical examples.

Yup. Gotta go up to go down, in most cases. There are certainly slopes where
the trail runners pass me on my bike.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain