Don't be Anti, be Pro

Old May 26th 07, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The other view point, there is one you know...

Default Don't be Anti, be Pro

Why are so many cyclists anti other road users?

It doesnt help the cause. If they were to put as much effort in
promoting cycling etc as they do in hating other road users, i'm sure
there would be progress.

And cycling is not the greenest for getting around, green than a car,
yes...Try walking, that's the greenest. But be careful of the cyclists
on the pavements and not stopping at crossings though ;-)

Old May 26th 07, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

The other view point, there is one you know... wrote:
Why are so many cyclists anti other road users?

It doesnt help the cause. If they were to put as much effort in
promoting cycling etc as they do in hating other road users, i'm sure
there would be progress.

I'm sure there would. So tell us about a recent cycle ride you went on
and enjoyed.

-dan
Old May 26th 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adrian Boliston

"The other view point, there is one you know..."
wrote in message
ups.com...

Why are so many cyclists anti other road users?

It doesnt help the cause. If they were to put as much effort in
promoting cycling etc as they do in hating other road users, i'm sure
there would be progress.

And cycling is not the greenest for getting around, green than a car,
yes...Try walking, that's the greenest.

I Thought that cycling was more energy efficient per km travelled than even
walking.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old May 26th 07, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 26 May, 12:18, Daniel Barlow wrote:
The other view point, there is one you know... wrote:

Why are so many cyclists anti other road users?

It doesnt help the cause. If they were to put as much effort in
promoting cycling etc as they do in hating other road users, i'm sure
there would be progress.

I'm sure there would. So tell us about a recent cycle ride you went on
and enjoyed.

-dan

It was about 12 miles, along the cycle path with my children (quite
good the cycle paths along the coast, doing well around here for
them), yes we had bells, helmets and a puncture repair kit, yes
pedestrians are a pain on cycle paths, but if we tink the bell gently
(20 mtrs or so) they move over.

Only had a mile on the roads, but they have speed bumps so alls
well ;-)

Old May 26th 07, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The other view point, there is one you know...

On 26 May, 12:30, Rob Morley wrote:
In article . com, The
other view point, there is one you know...
says...

Why are so many cyclists anti other road users?

It doesnt help the cause. If they were to put as much effort in
promoting cycling etc as they do in hating other road users, i'm sure
there would be progress.

And cycling is not the greenest for getting around, green than a car,
yes...Try walking,

Then add the cost for the extra time spent getting anywhere. Your time
may not be worth anything, but for most people it's a fairly important
factor. Cycling also consumes less food energy per mile than walking.

Time is relevant only to the individual, maybe that's why they use the
car?

Maybe cyclists have more time than drivers!

Driving consumes less food energy per mile than walking.

Old May 26th 07, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The other view point, there is one you know...

On 26 May, 12:34, "Adrian Boliston" wrote:
"The other view point, there is one you wrote in message

ups.com...

Why are so many cyclists anti other road users?

It doesnt help the cause. If they were to put as much effort in
promoting cycling etc as they do in hating other road users, i'm sure
there would be progress.

And cycling is not the greenest for getting around, green than a car,
yes...Try walking, that's the greenest.

I Thought that cycling was more energy efficient per km travelled than even
walking.

cheers adrianwww.boliston.co.uk

It is, but not greener :-)

maybe a child's scooter in adult size would be the better one, cheaper
to make

Old May 26th 07, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"The other view point, there is one you know..."
wrote in message
ups.com...
Why are so many cyclists anti other road users?

It doesnt help the cause. If they were to put as much effort in
promoting cycling etc as they do in hating other road users, i'm sure
there would be progress.

And cycling is not the greenest for getting around, green than a car,
yes...Try walking, that's the greenest. But be careful of the cyclists
on the pavements and not stopping at crossings though ;-)

I think you'll find that many who post here on the newsgroup are motorists
as well as cyclists (as well as pedestrians). The cyclists I know are
distinctly *not* anti-motorist (or anti-pedestrian) but most certainly are
anti-petrol-headed-tosspot behaviour by too many in charge of a motor
vehicle.

Old May 26th 07, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim Higson

The other view point, there is one you know... wrote:

On 26 May, 12:34, "Adrian Boliston" wrote:
"The other view point, there is one you
wrote in message

ups.com...

Why are so many cyclists anti other road users?

It doesnt help the cause. If they were to put as much effort in
promoting cycling etc as they do in hating other road users, i'm sure
there would be progress.

Your experience is different to mine. Most cyclists are also "other road
users" on occasion.

And cycling is not the greenest for getting around, green than a car,
yes...Try walking, that's the greenest.

I Thought that cycling was more energy efficient per km travelled than
even walking.

cheers adrianwww.boliston.co.uk

It is, but not greener :-)

By what measure?

maybe a child's scooter in adult size would be the better one, cheaper
to make

Cheaper to make implies greener?

It seems like you're thinking about it in terms of energy for materials and
manufacture? Assuming a bike is well used I'd imagine it has very little
impact over its lifetime compared to the alternatives.

--
Jim
Old May 26th 07, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"The other view point, there is one you know..."
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Food is more or less carbon neutral, whereas driving is most certainly not.
I get this stupid argument from car driving workmates that I breathe out
more CO2 than they do sitting in their cars! The same carbon atom I breathe
out simply goes round and round the ecosphere, whereas their exhaust is
emitting carbon atoms that have been locked underground for millions of
years.

If I took your advice and walked the 12 mile round trip to work I would have
to get up at 0330 all year round, set off at 0400 and walk at my top speed
of 4 mph for 3 hours non stop. I would get to work at 0700, do an 8 hour
shift, leave at 1500 and not get home until 1800. Every day would be 6 hours
of solid high speed walking. Ridiculous.

I'd have an hour to eat my tea, then get into bed for 1930, to get my 8
hours in. At present I get up at 0545 and get home at 1545.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net