Booking Bikes on Virgin - Easy

Old July 20th 04, 11:29 AM
Mike Ellwood

Default Booking Bikes on Virgin - Easy

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, [Not Responding] wrote:

It was all incredibly easy. [...]

Glad that all went well, but not that I want to pour cold tea on your
cornflakes, but I just hope the actual journey is as smooth (no delayed or
cancelled trains, etc).

My son's ~4 year experience with Virgin between Oxford and
Sheffield|Manchester is so seared into his brain, that he is now a 110%
dedicated fan of the car, motorway delays and all.
Thank you Virgin. Not. :-(

--
mike at ellwoods org uk
Old July 20th 04, 12:17 PM
Clive D. W. Feather

In article , "[Not
Responding]" writes
A cycling Q: what's this Winnat's Pass like?

1 in 5 (20%) for the best part of a kilometre.

I cycled up it once in the 1980s (staying in Hope, wanted to go to the
Blue John mine). More precisely, we pushed the bikes up it.

I've just spent a week in the area having to drive up and down it
several times. Second gear job if you can keep moving from before the
cattle grid, but once you drop to first you're in it for the duration.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old July 20th 04, 01:24 PM
Jon Senior

In article , richard2002
@ntlworld.com says...
Why do people refer to case study (n=1) rather than useful statistics
(n=10000s).

Because personal experience tends to have a more direct effect on our
perception. (I know... it was a rhetorical question!)

somewhere aroundabout 80% of trains arrive at their destination within 10
minutes of the scheduled time.

Which translates to 20% of trains fail to arrive within even 10 minutes
of the scheduled time. So on a multiple carrier journey with nominal 15
minute connections, 20% of the time a given user will fail to complete
the journey. By missing their connection they may be delayed further.

Also, why "within 10 minutes"? This definition implies that within 10
minutes is considered to be "on-time". Given that the trains travel a
known route and have known capabilities with regard to performance, why
do they not run perfectly to a known schedule. If the schedule is
unobtainable then they should allow for that in the scheduling.

Jon
Old July 20th 04, 02:08 PM
Mike Ellwood

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Richard wrote:

Why do people refer to case study (n=1) rather than useful statistics
(n=10000s).

Rather more than n=1. Every single one of his return journeys between
Oxford and either Sheffield or Manchester in the period 2000-2004 suffered
a delay or cancellation, on at least the outward or return phase,
sometimes both, often serious delays. That's a 100% failure rate in the
perception of one young passenger, with a lifetime of journeys ahead of
him, none of which will now be made on Virgin thanks very much, or
probably not UK rail at all. Interestingly, he was full of praise for the
Spanish railways, after only an admittedly small sample, too small for Mr
Statistician above no doubt, but if you are trying to sell a service (I
take it that's what VR is trying to do?), the perceptions of the customer
are everything.

somewhere aroundabout 80% of trains arrive at their destination within 10
minutes of the scheduled time.

And that's success? I can - and have, not necessarily with Virgin - missed
plenty of connections in 10 minutes.

--
mike at ellwoods org uk

Old July 20th 04, 08:14 PM
jacob

The problem I had with Virgin (Derby to Penzance) was getting a cheap
ticket. Very vague info but it turned out that I had to book exactly
14 days or less before travel time by phone only. Result £19 inc. bike
instead of £76.
Couldn't book Wick to Derby as wasn't sure of return date so that cost
£90. Either way no prob with bike, people all helpful.
Some stations have lifts to flat access to platforms - worth asking
beforehand on the train if you have to hurry to catch connection.
Hanging bike (tourer with mudguards) off hooks OK but had to remove
bags or too heavy to get off the hook - sort of lift and twist
sideways - more difficult if there is another bike next to it and even
harder if you are slightly ****ed and tired as I was at Crewe 5 in
morning.
Winnats pass steep so pace yourself very gently in bottom gear right
from the start. If you have any strength left you can save it for a
sprint over the top - past all those sweaty mountain bikers pushing
their bikes.
Excellent hot meat sandwich shop in Castleton (main road just south of
centre) will help you get up the hill.
Excellent cycling in Derbyshire including High Peak and Tissington
trails - old railway lines. and lots of quiet minor roads.
Have a nice time

cheers

Jacob
Old July 20th 04, 08:20 PM
[Not Responding]

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:29:08 +0100, Mike Ellwood
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, [Not Responding] wrote:

It was all incredibly easy. [...]

Glad that all went well, but not that I want to pour cold tea on your
cornflakes, but I just hope the actual journey is as smooth (no delayed or
cancelled trains, etc).

My son's ~4 year experience with Virgin between Oxford and
Sheffield|Manchester is so seared into his brain, that he is now a 110%
dedicated fan of the car, motorway delays and all.
Thank you Virgin. Not. :-(

I'll admit that I'm only really using the train because I'm not able
to drive at the moment (an injury not a ban which also prompted me to
sell my car). But looking at the route my friend will be taking on
Friday afternoon/evening from a bit further along the coast, I think
I'm a safer bet to be in the pub in Hope, Derbyshire at 2105 than him.

When I typed the road route into theaa.com, it reckoned the trip would
take 4.5 hours in average traffic conditions (compared to my total 5.5
hrs or so by rail). But is Friday afternoon/evening likely to be
"average traffic conditions"?; theaa.com highlighted 5 "traffic
blacksports" on top of the usual random slowing up.

As the connections are not particularly tight (25 mins and 20 mins)
I'm confident that I'll be there at bang on 2100.

But, hey, what do I know? I was only reporting the ease of the booking
system. I've not taken a bike on a train for about 15 years and I've
never used Virgin before so I'm new to all this.
Old July 20th 04, 09:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Richard
') wrote:

"Mike Ellwood" wrote in message
.ac.uk...
Glad that all went well, but not that I want to pour cold tea on your
cornflakes, but I just hope the actual journey is as smooth (no
delayed or cancelled trains, etc).

My son's ~4 year experience with Virgin between Oxford and
Sheffield|Manchester is so seared into his brain, that he is now a
110% dedicated fan of the car, motorway delays and all.

Why do people refer to case study (n=1) rather than useful statistics
(n=10000s).

Because I don't make tens of thousands of journeys, and I'm not tens of
thousands of people. I know that *every* time I've been on a Virgin
train (that's right, 100% score, no exceptions) in the last five years
they have ****ed up very badly, with an average delay per journey in
excess of 90 minutes (yes, that's an hour and a half) and an average
standing time per journey (yes, I've always pre-booked a first class
seat) of over an hour. I conclude from this that they are not even
nearly competent to run a railway.

;; Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us
;; many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.
;; Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
;; Tom Stoppard, Artist Descending A Staircase
Old July 20th 04, 09:08 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Jon Senior
') wrote:

In article , richard2002
@ntlworld.com says...
Why do people refer to case study (n=1) rather than useful statistics
(n=10000s).

Because personal experience tends to have a more direct effect on our
perception. (I know... it was a rhetorical question!)

somewhere aroundabout 80% of trains arrive at their destination
within 10 minutes of the scheduled time.

Which translates to 20% of trains fail to arrive within even 10
minutes of the scheduled time. So on a multiple carrier journey with
nominal 15 minute connections, 20% of the time a given user will fail
to complete the journey. By missing their connection they may be
delayed further.

Bad maths. 20% will fail to make connection 1. of the 80% who make
connection 1, 20% will fail to make connection 2. So by the third train
only 64% of the original passengers will still have made their
connections, and by the fourth only just over half.

Say that again: on a journey with three changes, '80% arrive within 10
minutes' means that only 51.2% of the passengers will actually get to
their destination on the scheduled train.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing left for us to do
but pick up the pieces.