Booking Bikes on Virgin - Easy

Old July 22nd 04, 02:37 PM
David Hansen

Default Booking Bikes on Virgin - Easy

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:05:34 +0100 someone who may be Mike Ellwood
wrote this:-

never liked the sound of the "hanging" arrangements with the new Virgins.

In my view these are designed by people who have never used them,
except perhaps on a stationary empty train with a mountain bike they
borrowed. I imagine that in the back of their mind is a thought
process like, we have to do something for these dammed cyclists who
we don't want on our trains, otherwise they will make a fuss, so we
will get them out of the way as much as possible to make space for
real passengers.

The real killer is if the bike
is loaded and you need to climb stairs :-( Wouldn't be that difficult or
expensive to provide ramps to help with this.

As stations are modified to provide wheelchair access ramps (or
lifts) are provided. In addition lifts which were only for staff use
are being opened up to passengers. Birmingham New Street is an
example of this.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old July 22nd 04, 09:25 PM
Neil Williams

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:05:34 +0100, Mike Ellwood
wrote:

Anyway, IME, it's far from bliss, but usually do-able. Barriers make it
slightly more of a pain than it need be :-( The real killer is if the bike
is loaded and you need to climb stairs :-( Wouldn't be that difficult or
expensive to provide ramps to help with this.

Many DB stations have a metal "trough" (for want of a better word) on
one side of the staircase, in which the wheels can roll while you push
your bike up.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain
Old July 23rd 04, 12:30 AM
Richard

"David Hansen" wrote in message
never liked the sound of the "hanging" arrangements with the new Virgins.

In my view these are designed by people who have never used them,
except perhaps on a stationary empty train with a mountain bike they
borrowed. I imagine that in the back of their mind is a thought
process like, we have to do something for these dammed cyclists who
we don't want on our trains, otherwise they will make a fuss, so we
will get them out of the way as much as possible to make space for
real passengers.

Much better than leaving them scraping around on the floor of a DVT. The
hanging arrangement is quite convenient and very space-efficient. Perhaps
tricky for weak people though.

Richard

Old July 23rd 04, 12:40 AM
David Hansen

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:30:08 GMT someone who may be "Richard"
wrote this:-

Much better than leaving them scraping around on the floor of a DVT.

DVTs can be fitted with proper stands.

The hanging arrangement is quite convenient and very space-efficient.

Not that much more space efficient than placing suitable luggage
racks above cycle space.

Perhaps tricky for weak people though.

Bikes are designed to be supported by the wheels. Those with
expensive wheels don't like the idea of hanging their expensive bike
from an expensive wheel and thinking of the bike then swinging
around on a Voyager, crashing into another bike and the side of the
coach.

For an Identikit cyclist with a cheap mountain bike vertical hanging
might be acceptable, for those able to lift their bike up high
enough before the train sets off. I doubt if it is safe to try and
do this while the train is weaving over the throat of a major
station. Neither do I think it is safe to take the bike down while
the train is weaving over the throat.

Those with removable luggage have to take it off before they hang
the bike up, which can be quite a performance. By this time the
train will have set off and they are trying to hang their bike up
while the train weaves over the station throat. On DVTs with
vertical hanging and where cyclists must leave before the train
starts this will delay the train. On arrival, after waiting for it
to be safe to take down the bike or gaining access to the DVT, those
with removable luggage must either re-fit it or make several trips
to and from the train. Either way the train may well be delayed.

Those with non-removable or semi-removable luggage will need to take
everything out before lifting the bike up, if the contents are
heavy. This process also needs to be reversed. The train may again
be delayed.

One cannot hang a Bike Hod from a hook designed for mountain bikes,
but they fit easily in sensible bike spaces.

Here the 156s have vertical hanging for six bikes. I cannot recall
ever seeing a cyclist use this contraption. They sensibly leave
their bikes on their wheels.

Neither have I heard a cycling organisation praise these
contraptions, though they may sometimes not criticise them which is
rather different.

I stand by what I said about the people who come up with such
contraptions.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old July 23rd 04, 08:25 AM
Tony Raven

Richard wrote:

Much better than leaving them scraping around on the floor of a DVT. The
hanging arrangement is quite convenient and very space-efficient. Perhaps
tricky for weak people though.

Richard

Your surname isn't Branson by any chance?

I think it is much worse than sitting them on the floor. First, I have
been unable to get my mountain bike tyre onto the top hook (too fat -
the tyre not me) so it had to hang on the lower hook which was not high
enough above the floor. Its virtually impossible to lock it to anything
around unless you have a long cable lock so it sits there by the open
door at all the stations ready to be stolen. If you can get a seat
facing the right way in the carriage to watch it its quasi acceptable
but if you are travelling in first at the other end of the train you
have to put your faith in human nature. Then because its hanging it
swings with the train motion so persistently bangs into the bike next
door or the carriage wall. That's presuming you have the strength to
lift it up there having taken off any panniers and other bags that get
in the way and weight a lot.

Tony
Old July 23rd 04, 11:51 AM
Mike Ellwood

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Richard wrote:

Much better than leaving them scraping around on the floor of a DVT. The
hanging arrangement is quite convenient and very space-efficient. Perhaps
tricky for weak people though.

Well, yes ... cycling is well-known for strengthening the LEGS! :-)

--
mike at ellwoods org uk
Old July 23rd 04, 12:08 PM
Mike Ellwood

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Neil Williams wrote:

Many DB stations have a metal "trough" (for want of a better word) on
one side of the staircase, in which the wheels can roll while you push
your bike up.

Yes, that's the sort of thing I had in mind ... thought I had seem them in
Germany ... thanks for confirming. What I remember more clearly in some
stations were the neat little side-of-stairs escalators for ordinary
luggage. Very nice. (Cyclists could put their heavy panniers on these and
then carry the bike up fairly easily).

--
mike at ellwoods org uk
Old July 23rd 04, 05:57 PM
Tony Raven

Jon Senior wrote:

I once travelled in the same carriage as a pair of train guards who
(With regard to Virgin) remarked: "Who wants to use a train service that
doesn't go all the way?".

Jon

Well I'm just in the middle of my Virgin journey. No first class seats
left when I booked earlier in the week so I got a normal seat
reservation. Sat here cramped up for five hours in a seat which has a
socket to power my laptop but not enough room to open a laptop up!.
Train is packed and many are standing all the way. So for twice the
price of doing the same journey by car I have a cramped uncomfortable
noisy seat instead of a comfy car seat where I can relax, listen to the
radio, stop when I want to have a coffee (no chance here, too crowded in
the aisle to get there and they are announcing they have no change in
the on-board shop so no payment with notes)

This is one of the new Voyager trains so we can't expect the situation
to improve with new rolling stock

Ah well, never again

Tony

Old July 23rd 04, 06:11 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

Tony Raven writes:

Jon Senior wrote:
[...]

You can pay by card, of course. IME the coffee's very good.

This is one of the new Voyager trains so we can't expect the situation
to improve with new rolling stock

I heard they were still hoping to lengthen the trains.

Ah well, never again

Definitely an all round sucky experience, but don't forget it's the
first weekend of the school holidays. Actually, light is just dawning
that I may not be able to get my bike where I want to go
tonight. Let's hope I can.

Old July 23rd 04, 07:48 PM
Neil Williams

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:53:53 GMT, "Richard"
wrote:

Do you not use the retaining strap?

Mr. Branson

Doesn't stop it being nicked.

The best solution for bikes these days is IMO the way fNW went about
it on their 150 and 142 refurbs, namely to provide a wide luggage rack
(taking the space of about a bay and a half of seating) with an upper
level in each coach, or maybe every other coach. This has a "top
shelf" for luggage, and a bottom bit with retaining clips for bikes
and heavy luggage. This allows two bikes per coach in full view of
their owners, plus decent luggage space.

However, VT don't have that kind of space to "waste" in the Voyager,
and as such I suspect the only reason why there's bike space at all is
that passengers are not permitted in the bit at the end of the vehicle
due to the top speed being over 100mph, so it had to be used for
something. Indeed, ISTR it's meant to be locked out and inaccessible
to passengers while in motion, though I'm yet to see one that isn't
locked open.

Neil