You have to laugh

Old February 8th 04, 09:23 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default You have to laugh

I was raking over the old Research Report 30 stuff writing a followup
(my questions to the DfT remian unanswered). While I was verifying
the pre-existing pro-helmet stance of the authors (which was easy:
four of them are effectively joined at the hip and have a history of
pro-helmet publications) I came across this gem:

url:http://www.imj.ie/news_detail.php?nNewsId=2518&nVolId=97

Apparently a helmet law for children is right up there with not
allowing children to operate farm machinery in the indicators for a
country which is serious about child safety.

How's that for a sense of perspective?

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old February 9th 04, 12:58 AM
Mark Thompson

I came across this gem:

url:http://www.imj.ie/news_detail.php?nNewsId=2518&nVolId=97

Apparently a helmet law for children is right up there with not
allowing children to operate farm machinery in the indicators for a
country which is serious about child safety.

How's that for a sense of perspective?

Why on earth does ICEland have a law for barrier fencing around domestic
swimming pools?

Old February 9th 04, 07:58 AM
Richard Goodman

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot)
wrote in message ...

Why on earth does ICEland have a law for barrier fencing around domestic
swimming pools?

You wouldn't have thought it that likely a place like that would have many
of them, but OTOH they have plenty of geothermal energy for hot water and
heating so who knows - maybe they do have significant numbers of heated/hot
water pools in their backgardens ;-). Can't say I saw any when I was there,
but...

Namaskar

Rich

Old February 9th 04, 10:35 AM
Simon Brooke

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot) writes:

I came across this gem:

url:http://www.imj.ie/news_detail.php?nNewsId=2518&nVolId=97

Apparently a helmet law for children is right up there with not
allowing children to operate farm machinery in the indicators for a
country which is serious about child safety.

How's that for a sense of perspective?

Why on earth does ICEland have a law for barrier fencing around domestic
swimming pools?

Geothermal energy in abundance. Plenty of really nice outdoor swimming
pools in Iceland, many of them not just warm but hot.

;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.
Old February 10th 04, 07:28 AM
David Hansen

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 00:58:15 -0000 someone who may be "Mark Thompson"
(change warm for hot) wrote
this:-

Why on earth does ICEland have a law for barrier fencing around domestic
swimming pools?

The name is deceptive. Most of Iceland looks like the surface of the
moon, rocks and dust. Apart from the glaciers, in the summer it is
not covered in ice.

As others have said there are many hot springs, none of which have
fences round them. There are also hot mud pools, some of which have
thin crusts through which the unwary can fall. Hot boiled human.
There are also dramatic waterfalls which you can walk into if you
want. However, these tend to be away from most habitation today.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old February 10th 04, 10:30 AM
Sigvaldi Eggertsson

David Hansen wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 00:58:15 -0000 someone who may be "Mark Thompson"
(change warm for hot) wrote
this:-

Why on earth does ICEland have a law for barrier fencing around domestic
swimming pools?

The name is deceptive. Most of Iceland looks like the surface of the
moon, rocks and dust. Apart from the glaciers, in the summer it is
not covered in ice.

Iceland is not covered in ice during winter either.

As others have said there are many hot springs, none of which have
fences round them. There are also hot mud pools, some of which have
thin crusts through which the unwary can fall. Hot boiled human.
There are also dramatic waterfalls which you can walk into if you
want. However, these tend to be away from most habitation today.

There are also some 100 public swimming pools in Iceland, most of them
in towns and villages but some in the rural areas. Most of those have
fences around them.
Old February 10th 04, 10:40 AM
Tony Raven

Sigvaldi Eggertsson wrote:

Iceland is not covered in ice during winter either.

Greenland's not green either ;-)

Tony

Old February 10th 04, 12:23 PM
Fridrik Skulason

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot) wrote in message ...

Why on earth does ICEland have a law for barrier fencing around domestic
swimming pools?

This is a bit odd - but for a different reason that you seem to think.
You see, Iceland has virtually no domestic swimming pools. We have
plenty of public swimming pools, of course - all over the country and
very popular (and without any kind of barrier fencing), but domestic
swimming pools? I have never seen one in Iceland - and I have lived
here for 40 years.

It seems quite bizarre to me that our parliament should waste its time
on such an utterly irrelevant law, but that's what politics is about,
I guess.
Old February 9th 04, 10:35 AM
Simon Brooke

"Just zis Guy, you know?" writes:

I was raking over the old Research Report 30 stuff writing a followup
(my questions to the DfT remian unanswered). While I was verifying
the pre-existing pro-helmet stance of the authors (which was easy:
four of them are effectively joined at the hip and have a history of
pro-helmet publications) I came across this gem:

url:http://www.imj.ie/news_detail.php?nNewsId=2518&nVolId=97

Apparently a helmet law for children is right up there with not
allowing children to operate farm machinery in the indicators for a
country which is serious about child safety.

My mother was personally responsible, as a civil servant, for drafting
the legislation which bans children in this country from operating
farm machinery. All her children, without exception, operated farm
machinery during their childhood with her full knowledge and apparent
approval. I learned to drive, age eleven, on an old grey fergie taking
hay bales up to the barn (and reversing a fully loaded trailer of
bales *into* the barn, which was quite a kick at eleven).

;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.