How about this break kit?

Old June 20th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default How about this break kit?

Nashbar has their own branded disc-breaks with levers for $85 (on sale).
I'm cash poor but lusting for some disc breaks. Anyone have any
knowledge or thoughts on these brakes? Thanks.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
Old June 20th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

J.Messick wrote:
Nashbar has their own branded disc-breaks with levers for $85 (on sale).
I'm cash poor but lusting for some disc breaks. Anyone have any
knowledge or thoughts on these brakes? Thanks.

Sucks when your BRAKES, Break.

Old June 20th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"J.Messick" wrote in message
. ..
Nashbar has their own branded disc-breaks with levers for $85 (on sale).
I'm cash poor but lusting for some disc breaks. Anyone have any
knowledge or thoughts on these brakes? Thanks.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

They are Tektro brakes. Can't tell you if they are any good. I've had good
experience with Tektro v-brakes, so they may be worth a try for a whole
setup under 100. These discs probably came OEM on low end dual-sus bikes.
Last year, they were priced as low as $60 on Nashbar.

Not to nitpick, but brakes aren't breaks. They may break, but they will
always brake.

Old June 20th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

J.Messick wrote:
Nashbar has their own branded disc-breaks with levers for $85 (on sale).
I'm cash poor but lusting for some disc breaks. Anyone have any
knowledge or thoughts on these brakes? Thanks.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Cheap disc brakes are just that, little better or worse than decent v
brakes. save yer $ and get decent disc brakes, if ya gotta have them.
Avid mechanicals...or hydraulic ones..if ya gotta have them.

Old June 20th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
J.Messick wrote:
Nashbar has their own branded disc-breaks with levers for $85 (on sale).
I'm cash poor but lusting for some disc breaks. Anyone have any
knowledge or thoughts on these brakes? Thanks.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Cheap disc brakes are just that, little better or worse than decent v
brakes. save yer $ and get decent disc brakes, if ya gotta have them.
Avid mechanicals...or hydraulic ones..if ya gotta have them.

Does that mean you're dismissing the Tektros without even having tried
them? If they're like anything else Tektro, they should be worth a
shot.

I have the cheap Deore disks on a utility bike, and while Vees would be
about as powerful, and they're a little fiddly to set up compared to
Avids, they still have other benefits that make them worth having.

To the OP I'd say for town or cross country riding, give them a shot
and report back.

Old June 20th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

J.Messick wrote:
Nashbar has their own branded disc-breaks with levers for $85 (on sale).
I'm cash poor but lusting for some disc breaks. Anyone have any
knowledge or thoughts on these brakes? Thanks.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Cheap disc brakes are just that, little better or worse than decent v
brakes. save yer $ and get decent disc brakes, if ya gotta have them.
Avid mechanicals...or hydraulic ones..if ya gotta have them.

I've got the Avid Disc roads and I love the front brake, but the rear
has way too much play in the cable (along the downtube) to really get
it to bind up with the amount of pull my lever has. Is there a trick?
I was thinking about putting in a compression spring to assist with the
tension on the caliper, but wanted to see if there was something
simpler that I might have been doing wrong.

Old June 20th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ellis wrote:
"J.Messick" wrote in message
. ..
Nashbar has their own branded disc-breaks with levers for $85 (on sale).
I'm cash poor but lusting for some disc breaks. Anyone have any
knowledge or thoughts on these brakes? Thanks.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

They are Tektro brakes. Can't tell you if they are any good. I've had good
experience with Tektro v-brakes, so they may be worth a try for a whole
setup under 100. These discs probably came OEM on low end dual-sus bikes.
Last year, they were priced as low as $60 on Nashbar.

Not to nitpick, but brakes aren't breaks. They may break, but they will
always brake.

Yeah, breaks/brakes, I'm lucky to get it right at least ONCE in a
post. I've heard good things about the Hayes mechanicals, but haven't
seen anything nearly as affordable. How much, or rather how little, can
name brand brakes be purchased for? And is it something that most people
can install themselves?

Old June 20th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bruceinillinois wrote:
Call me silly, but I always subscribed to the notion that you can't do
better than skid. So why bother with disc's?

Dear B.ill,

Rim brakes work well, but . . .

On Alpine downhills, disk brakes get just as hot as rim brakes (or
hotter), but the heat doesn't go into the tubes and blow tires off
rims.

On wet, gritty downhills, disk brakes don't wear the rim sidewalls down
until the rim explodes.

On long technical downhills, disk brakes can have better modulation
with less force, making descents much more pleasant.

Or so I hear.

I stop only if I miss the sole traffic light on my happy daily 15-mile
ride and when I reach my driveway and can think of only five other
places where I use my brakes to slow down, so most of the brake debate
is theoretical for me.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old June 20th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'm with you, Carl. Folks use their brakes entirely too much.

I once rode a Schwinn equipped with coaster brake down a very long
logging road hill. Halfway down, started feeling something very hot fly
up from what I thought was the ground and onto my legs. Yup, it was the
grease from inside the hub. No real damage done. By the time I threw it
in the back of the pickup and drove home, it had cooled down. Re-packed
the hub and all was cool.