anyone break a kneecap?

Old October 15th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default anyone break a kneecap?

A good buddy of mine took a spill while mountain biking, fell 10 feet
off the side of a ridge and smashed his kneecap into 10 pieces.

He's pretty down at the moment of course.

Anyone suffer from a broken kneecap? He is saying he might never ride
again, and I'm hoping this is just the heat of the moment talking.

Any positive stories to send the guy would help out.

thanks

Old October 15th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

wrote in message
ups.com...
A good buddy of mine took a spill while mountain biking, fell 10 feet
off the side of a ridge and smashed his kneecap into 10 pieces.

He's pretty down at the moment of course.

Anyone suffer from a broken kneecap? He is saying he might never ride
again, and I'm hoping this is just the heat of the moment talking.

Any positive stories to send the guy would help out.

thanks

Didn't Nothstein and/or Bartoli break his kneecap?

Old October 15th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

wrote in message
ups.com...
A good buddy of mine took a spill while mountain biking, fell 10 feet
off the side of a ridge and smashed his kneecap into 10 pieces.

He's pretty down at the moment of course.

Anyone suffer from a broken kneecap?

The Dutch Mafia might know a few

Old October 16th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
benjo maso

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
A good buddy of mine took a spill while mountain biking, fell 10 feet
off the side of a ridge and smashed his kneecap into 10 pieces.

He's pretty down at the moment of course.

Anyone suffer from a broken kneecap?

The Dutch Mafia might know a few

Do you mean the Dutch mafia has some experience in breaking kneecaps?
Anyhow, it had nothing to do with Michele Bartoli, who broke his kneecap in
the Tour of Germany in 1999, nor with the most famous case: Museeuw in
Paris-Roubaix 1998. Of course, both of them could continue their career,
although it took Museeuw almost a year before he made his comeback. But
there must be many more examples. After all, it happens quite often in
cycling. AFAIK, the two best known victims this year were Laiseka and
Petacchi.

Benjo

Old October 16th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Philo

A buddy of mine broke his kneecap on a group ride after overlapping
wheels. He got hauled away by ambulance. A few weeks later (6? 8?)
he came back out for a ride. Within a few months he was back to
training regularly.

Good luck to your friend. It will suck for a while, but pretty soon
he'll be riding again. He might not ride exposed ridges, but he'll
ride nonetheless.

-Philo

Old October 17th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ed Yost

In article . com,
wrote:

A good buddy of mine took a spill while mountain biking, fell 10 feet
off the side of a ridge and smashed his kneecap into 10 pieces.

He's pretty down at the moment of course.

Anyone suffer from a broken kneecap? He is saying he might never ride
again, and I'm hoping this is just the heat of the moment talking.

Any positive stories to send the guy would help out.

thanks

About ten years ago I was hit by a car and shattered my patella and
broke my tibia. A metal plate and five pins hold my tibia together and
the patella was wired back with three wires and a loop of wire. The
patella was shattered in six pieces. In my case I wasn't allowed to bend
the knee for several weeks. Atrophy affected the quad but I was able to
build it back up with riding and swimming. Physical Therapy love
stationary bikes and swimming is great low impact build up.

It took a while but I got there. My joint is a bit stiff but riding
makes it feel better.

Tell him to hang in there and do the exercises that physical therapy
instructs them. Wall slides, knee bends, lunges, and don't forget the
swimming. I wished I had been more disciplined. Other than the scare of
being hit again, I am riding pretty good distances and speed. Now if I
could only correct my other problem - age. ggg

Ed

To reply remove nospam from email address.
Old October 17th 06, 09:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

benjo maso wrote:
Anyhow, it had nothing to do with Michele Bartoli, who broke his kneecap in
the Tour of Germany in 1999, nor with the most famous case: Museeuw in
Paris-Roubaix 1998. Of course, both of them could continue their career,

Threre is no way the same thing can break twice in the same manner,
especially such a bone.
However and orthopedis friend of mine, of Villa Erbosa and Istituto
Rizzoli in Bologna, when I tore my (first) patellar tendon said:
'... and, be sure that we could even remove the knee cap altogether.
There is an elder man, upstairs, whose cap we have just removed.'

I hardly believed it, but he really said so.

Sergio
Pisa