Gloomy time of the year.

Old December 2nd 20, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default Gloomy time of the year.

Op woensdag 2 december 2020 om 17:23:06 UTC+1 schreef :
On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 7:44:17 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 6:12:01 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Not my favorite time, especially this year: no coffee stop. Ah well the roads were quiet. All E bikes in winter storage it seems.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ma9uiYMqEo9purkX7

Lou

My riding buddy calls it the rotting corpse time of the year. Riding through some parts of the West Hills isn't much fun because of the wet leaf sludge which slows descents to a crawl. There's a convenient MUP near my house (through a park) that is just leaf mat. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/39/ac...f7a050f188.jpg

Jay, maybe you can explain this - when I got home my total altimeter showed 2,000 feet of climbing. Though my memory was that it was much more on that route. I looked at the Garmin report today and it said, "altitude correction disabled" when I moved it to "enabled" I got another 264 feet of climbing which my VDO altimeter on the Look would show. Do you have any idea what altitude correction is? Did it have something to so with changes in barometric pressure since I left in the 30's and when I returned it was 70 degrees?

When altitude correction is enabled Garmin corrects the altitude measurement assigning an altitude to every GPS location on your route that comes from a database. I think it was one of the Spaceshuttle missions that measured these altitudes.

Lou
Old December 2nd 20, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 11:53:47 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 8:23:06 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

My assumption is that your memory is wrong, which is a good assumption based on what you constantly tell us about your head injury.

I did 1,250 feet of climbing on my ride to the food carts last night. Total RT distance from home of a whopping 9 miles, which included a gratuitous climb up to Council Crest while our delicious mango-chicken stir fry and pad kee mao were being prepared. https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7423/...a1cee2c8df.jpg Sparkly city lights from the top. https://tinyurl.com/y6mt37nu

I was running my dyno mood light because my battery light was running out of juice. I wanted to save it for the bone-jarring descent on broken pavement. https://tinyurl.com/y4athjtc You blast down that road at your peril. Stop at the cart. https://tinyurl.com/y2wrncuqand And then home, right through my son's former High School, named after the disgraced Woody Wilson. https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/a..._012-00001.jpg Looks like a gloomy prison in that shot, which it kind of is. I think they're changing the name of it to Ed Wilson or Martha Wilson -- some other non-disgraced Wilson. I want it to be "Mr. Wilson" for the guy from Dennis the Menace.

Tell me something stupid. How can I mis-remember when it is recorded in a book right here in my desk and also in my Garmin program complete with maps if you cannot remember which ride you were on?
Old December 2nd 20, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 12:24:40 PM UTC-8, Ted Heise wrote:

Not sure how Garmin does it, but the old Avocet 50 (with elevation
from barometric readings) had a "feature" that didn't count any
change in altitude less than 30-40 feet. You could cover miles
and miles of gently rolling terrain, and record no gain at all.
It seems at least possible that Garmin does something similar.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

Most altimeters have to have a change of 20-30 feet before reacting because of the problems of measuring barometric pressure that accurately. But in this case there was little to no rollers. There were two steep climbs of at least 8% and largely 9%+ with downhills between them and then a 5% climb of some 400 feet. Both of these climbs are followed by downhills of 13% to 16%. I have gone both ways with my older LDO altimeter and gotten the same altitudes.
Old December 2nd 20, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/2/2020 12:34 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 6:12:01 AM UTC-8, lou.holtman wrote:
Not my favorite time, especially this year: no coffee stop. Ah well the
roads were quiet. All E bikes in winter storage it seems.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ma9uiYMqEo9purkX7

They are out of extra clothing layers. Those 50 muscle Watt "exerting"
e-bikers have been clothing like it's December since September.

Some 20-y.o. recently died when the battery of his e-bike went empty and he
decided to walk in the dark and take a rest next to a river, possibly after
taking drugs and taking a refreshing bath. Ouch.
https://thecanadian.news/2020/11/22/e-bike-battery-empty-halfway-20-year-old-freezes-to-death/

A couple years ago in our tiny forest preserve, a woman found a dead
mountain biker in a creek. He was a friend of a friend of mine, and a
super-fit gym enthusiast. He apparently fell while biking across a badly
maintained footbridge, slid into the water and suffered a heart attack
or something similar.

Sometimes Mother Nature takes no prisoners.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 2nd 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 12:40:55 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

What I'm saying is that you misremembered the ride as having more than 2K feet of climbing. It probably has 100 feet of climbing; you misremember it being 2K feet of climbing, and your Garmin is AFU. I have no idea why your Garmin is AFU. Maybe it was hacked by Janet Yellen. I have a hack-proof CatEye cyclometer on one bike and don't own a Garmin. I had a free Stages head unit, but my son took it back. Indigenous person giver! I still get e-mails from my Stages head unit telling me that I haven't ridden. I think its in cahoots with my printer, which is threatening to cut me off unless I pre-pay for ink.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 2nd 20, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 12:40:52 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

[...]

I guess that the real question is how your "altimeter" function works.
Does it work from atmospheric pressure as the old, simple altimeters"
used in airplanes or is it different.

If it is atmospheric pressure dependent then you will need to make
corrections depending on several factors to get an accurate
measurement.
--
Cheers,

John B.