Conversation with sons about sports- WARNING - LONG

Old April 12th 05, 01:40 PM
Mike

What station was "THE WUSSAFICATION of AMERICA" on? I'd love to see
it.

Thanks...

Mike

Old April 12th 05, 02:16 PM
Bartow W. Riggs

I always preferred Slaughter-Ball to traditional dodge-ball...much more
strategy and teamwork, further distances so more time to react. More like
the dodge-ball in, well, the movie DodgeBall. Where by the way Lance
Armstrong has a small role...

Old April 12th 05, 03:09 PM
Claire Petersky

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

The benefits of dodgeball are simple. LIFE IS DODGEBALL.

If your life has been dodgeball, I sure feel sorry for you.

My life has been a series of bike rides. Some solitary, some on a tandem,
some club rides. A few have been events, like centuries. Lord knows, going
through labor the first time was like a double.

Life has been a series of bike rides: some have been hilly rides, up and
down, up and down. Some have been in the rain. Sometimes it's a glorious day
in the sunshine, with all the flowers in bloom, and you'll see a goldfinch
flying by.

Sometimes you hit a bump and wipe out. You are sore for a long time -- you
might even still bear the scars of that tumble. Still, eventually you got
back on the bike and put on more miles, because it it's more fun to ride
than to give up.

There's always the adventure of the open road. Even if you've been down a
particular stretch a thousand times, this time you might encounter something
different.

I'm glad life is a series of bike rides for me. I hope it's a series of bike
rides for the rest of you, too.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

Old April 12th 05, 03:11 PM
Maggie

Bartow W. Riggs wrote:
I always preferred Slaughter-Ball to traditional dodge-ball...much

more
strategy and teamwork, further distances so more time to react. More

like
the dodge-ball in, well, the movie DodgeBall. Where by the way Lance

Armstrong has a small role...

I may be one sick puppy....but that was a drop dead hilarious movie. I
was laughing so hard when I saw that movie I couldn't see. It did not
get critical acclaim, but it was funny as hell.
Maggie

Old April 12th 05, 03:31 PM
Maggie

Claire Petersky wrote:
"Maggie" wrote in message
[...]

This is a good read about a guy who gained self esteem from Dodge Ball.
(link at the end) Everyone is good at something. Self esteem comes
from the things you do well. Whatever that may be. You love cycling.
You see your life as a series of bike rides. That's fabulous. My life
is not a dodge ball game, I just learned alot from dodge ball. I
learned a heck of a lot playing "gorilla" in the empty lot with my
brother and his friends. "Gorilla" was much worse than dodgeball and
there was absolutely no adult supervision to help when you were being
thrown around.

For my son, Life is a series of snowboarding adventures, skateboarding
adventures and skydiving adventures he has had.

For others it may be the tennis games, the baseball games, or just free
play in the handball courts in their neighborhood.

Anyway, this guy wrote a piece on how dodgeball helped him and his self
esteem. It was the one thing he did well. When we do something well,
our self esteem raises.

You are an amazing cyclist Claire. That's great. I'm not. I did become
a pretty good dodgeball player though. ;-) And I can still dodge those
"incoming." ;-)
Ride on...
Love,
Maggie
http://www.strike-the-root.com/4/wallace/wallace32.html

Old April 12th 05, 03:33 PM
Maggie

Mike wrote:
What station was "THE WUSSAFICATION of AMERICA" on? I'd love to see
it.

Thanks...

Mike

It was on last week. In the evening EST. I think it was Friday night,
because I was packing for Atlantic City. I'll try to find out if it is
going to be on again. Are you in Eastern Standard Time?
Maggie

Old April 12th 05, 04:20 PM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
:: I learned something from dodgeball. I learned what it means to work
:: hard to protect myself. There is a benefit in Dodgeball in my
:: opinion. But thats just my opinion. ;-) And we all know I always
:: have one. ;-)

What have you learned from cycling? You have to avoid being run over, you
know.

Old April 12th 05, 04:30 PM
Maggie

Roger Zoul wrote:
What have you learned from cycling? You have to avoid being run

over, you
know.

So far I have learned that cycling is not a sport for wusses. Cycling
also has many faces. From the toddler on her first trike....to the 75
year old riding to the corner store.

In between there are many levels of skill.

It's a sport of many colors. All beautiful.

At this point I have not been in a situation where I could be run over.
I am still a wussy rider. BUT TRYING TO IMPROVE!!!
All good things,
Maggie.

Old April 12th 05, 04:42 PM
Mike

Hi Magie -

Yes, I'm in eastern time zone. I will also get my TiVO to search for
WUSSAFICATION. hehehe

Thanks...

Mike

Old April 12th 05, 04:49 PM
jj

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:20:16 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Maggie wrote:
:: I learned something from dodgeball. I learned what it means to work
:: hard to protect myself. There is a benefit in Dodgeball in my
:: opinion. But thats just my opinion. ;-) And we all know I always
:: have one. ;-)

What have you learned from cycling? You have to avoid being run over, you
know.

I learned not to make this mistake:

Got up at 6am (my wris****ch still says 5am - I'm not doing EDT this year,
sorry, except to catch Jennifer on TNT.)

Expecting overcast I looked outside and it looked clear.

Ride was planned for 9am, but had my cycling shoes on by 7.

Enjoyed watching the sunlight play in through the back window and the
japanese cherry in the backyard.

At 8 the wind picked up, but it was still sunny. Missed the best of the
morning sun hoping to miss the rush hour traffic, yada, yada - not have sun
in eyes at am twilight. Sheesh. the brain never STFU!

Catch the sun while you can - don't wait, don't think. GO! dammit. ;-)

jj

Weather warning ... elyob UK 11 January 4th 05 11:54 PM
Be on a new National Extreme Sports network television show [email protected] Techniques 2 October 3rd 04 10:31 PM
Easiest way to explain bike racing to sports fans? Jeff Potter Racing 26 July 30th 04 07:49 AM
Produce Your Own Sports Story for CSTV sam Marketplace 0 October 22nd 03 07:36 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM