Brand ID, What did I have?

Old April 11th 05, 09:02 PM
Pete Pemberton

Default Brand ID, What did I have?

Hi all, first time post, getting back into cycling after a long hiatus.

Folks bought me a 'road' bike, as I am researching, it was pretty typicle
for the time. I remember they paid about $300 back then. I remember it had
some Suntour parts, weighted pedals, brass brake pulls with the safety or
extension grips (which I really liked BTW), brass center pull brakes. The
only brand that was on it was "CHERRY" in block letters. I am assuming it
was a Japanese make, import, but other than the custom bike maker of today
and the word used as a color or consition descriptor, I cannot find any
reference to a bike brand called "CHERRY". It was a blue bike with gumwalls,
so the name had nothing to do with the color.

Any bike dealers that remember this one?

Thanks, please reply by email if not the group,

PP

Old April 11th 05, 10:33 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:02:59 -0400, Pete Pemberton wrote:

Hi all, first time post, getting back into cycling after a long hiatus.

Folks bought me a 'road' bike, as I am researching, it was pretty typicle
for the time. I remember they paid about $300 back then.

When is "then"?

I remember it had
some Suntour parts, weighted pedals, brass brake pulls with the safety or
extension grips (which I really liked BTW), brass center pull brakes.

It's not real likely that any parts were brass, or that the brakes were
weighted. Brass-colored aluminum was fairly common, though. The only
thing about this description that sheds any light are your "safety" grips
(a second lever close to your hands when your hands are on the top of the
bars, which pulls open the standard brake lever). These were common only
on cheaper bikes during the '70s/'80s.

I'm not sure why you are asking about this, except for idle curiosity.
These days, any road bike would be far better than most of what we could
have gotten for $300 from '75 to '90. You can find such bikes now for
maybe $700, less if you are lucky. Here I am talking about bike-shop
bikes, not X-mart bike-shaped toys.

The brand you mention is not familiar to me.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

Old April 11th 05, 11:03 PM

Pete Pemberton wrote:
Hi all, first time post, getting back into cycling after a long

hiatus.

Welcome back!

Folks bought me a 'road' bike, as I am researching, it was pretty

typicle
for the time. I remember they paid about $300 back then. I remember

it had
some Suntour parts, weighted pedals, brass brake pulls with the

safety or
extension grips (which I really liked BTW), brass center pull brakes.

The
only brand that was on it was "CHERRY" in block letters. I am

assuming it
was a Japanese make, import, but other than the custom bike maker of

today
and the word used as a color or consition descriptor, I cannot find

any
reference to a bike brand called "CHERRY". It was a blue bike with

gumwalls,
so the name had nothing to do with the color.

First, the obvious... it's an Asian brand, probably Japanese... my vote
is for either Lotus or Nishiki.

Any bike dealers that remember this one?

Old April 12th 05, 04:39 AM
Pete Pemberton

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:02:59 -0400, Pete Pemberton wrote:

Hi all, first time post, getting back into cycling after a long hiatus.

Folks bought me a 'road' bike, as I am researching, it was pretty typicle
for the time. I remember they paid about $300 back then.

When is "then"?

Sorry, late 70's.

Yes, idle curiosity.

Prolly OT....

PP

Old April 15th 05, 12:05 AM
John Thompson

On 2005-04-11, Pete Pemberton wrote:

Hi all, first time post, getting back into cycling after a long hiatus.

Folks bought me a 'road' bike, as I am researching, it was pretty typicle
for the time. I remember they paid about $300 back then. I remember it had
some Suntour parts, weighted pedals, brass brake pulls with the safety or
extension grips (which I really liked BTW), brass center pull brakes. The
only brand that was on it was "CHERRY" in block letters. I am assuming it
was a Japanese make, import, but other than the custom bike maker of today
and the word used as a color or consition descriptor, I cannot find any
reference to a bike brand called "CHERRY". It was a blue bike with gumwalls,
so the name had nothing to do with the color.

What was labeled "Cherry?" The frame, or components. One of the early
Taiwan manufacturers of cheap, knock-off parts marketed brakes,
derailleurs, etc. under the name "Cherry" but that's the only one I can
remember by that name.

--

John )