Lights: Do they need to be on the bike?

Old June 8th 06, 05:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Lights: Do they need to be on the bike?

I was looking at the Qld TORUM Regs and it seems that the definition of
what you must do when riding at night has changed since the days of the
old Traffic Act.

The new law says that "259. The rider of a bicycle ... must not ride at
night ... unless the bicycle or device, or the rider, displays:
(a) a flashing or steady white light that is clearly visible for at
least 200m from the front of the bicycle or device; and
(b) a flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least
200 m from the rear of the bicycle or device" etc.

So these days you can legally attach the light to your clothing, leg,
arm, helmet or whatever, provided it can be seen for 200m. In the past
you had to have it attached to your bike.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
http://bicyclemackay.org.au
Old June 8th 06, 06:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-06-08, Peter McCallum (aka Bruce)
I was looking at the Qld TORUM Regs and it seems that the definition of
what you must do when riding at night has changed since the days of the
old Traffic Act.

The new law says that "259. The rider of a bicycle ... must not ride at
night ... unless the bicycle or device, or the rider, displays:
(a) a flashing or steady white light that is clearly visible for at
least 200m from the front of the bicycle or device; and
(b) a flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least
200 m from the rear of the bicycle or device" etc.

So these days you can legally attach the light to your clothing, leg,
arm, helmet or whatever, provided it can be seen for 200m. In the past
you had to have it attached to your bike.

Cool. Mind you, the amount of otherwise clued people I have seen with
a light that can't be seen 10m directly behind them because their 1)
batteries have faded; 2) the light is crap; 3) the clothes have
pointed their light in the wrong direction; 4) their clothes have
developed a fold which completely obscures the light; and believe it
or not 5) all of the above simultaneously...

--
TimC
"The application did not fail successfully because of an error"
Old June 8th 06, 06:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter McCallum wrote:
I was looking at the Qld TORUM Regs and it seems that the definition of
what you must do when riding at night has changed since the days of the
old Traffic Act.

The new law says that "259. The rider of a bicycle ... must not ride at
night ... unless the bicycle or device, or the rider, displays:
(a) a flashing or steady white light that is clearly visible for at
least 200m from the front of the bicycle or device; and
(b) a flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least
200 m from the rear of the bicycle or device" etc.

So these days you can legally attach the light to your clothing, leg,
arm, helmet or whatever, provided it can be seen for 200m. In the past
you had to have it attached to your bike.

I would vastly prefer the lights to be attached to the bike. If fixed to
the frame, they are not moving laterally or vertically, they are also
pointed in the right direction all of the time, and thus have a much
better chance of being seen.
A light attached to your leg or helmet or anywhere else will inevitably
be pointed all over the place. The law may say that, but I think fairly
clearly good old common sense says otherwise.
Old June 8th 06, 06:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

ray wrote:
Peter McCallum wrote:
[...]

A light attached to the light-mounting strip on my backpack is more
visible than anywhere else on my compact frame, and it points in the
right direction. The backpack doesn't move on my back much at all.

I actually have a light on the seatpost, and a light on the seat stay
as well. The light on the seat stay is off when I'm riding in a
peloton. It's designed to shine up at car drivers and it's pretty
full-on. The light on the seatpost ends up angled down a bit because
of the compact geometry of my bike but it's okay for in a peloton -
there is not enough space to mount a larger, adjustable angle flasher
between the underseat bag and the frame.

Tam

Old June 8th 06, 07:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

monsterman wrote:
I'm lit up like a christmas tree these days. Two red flashers on back
of helmet, a strobing 10 bulb led flasher off the seat post, glow in
the dark safety flashing ankle strap on the drivetrain side with abt 8
led flashers positioned around the strapping, 5 led flasher on the bars
next to a 10w vistalite. I suspect I've been the source of more than
one UFO sighting in recent weeks. And i still feel unsafe / unseen at
times

That leads me to one of the great mysteries of our time: why I suddenly
become more visible when I don't tie my hair back in a plait or a
ponytail, but instead leave it loose. I mean, what's with that?
Suddenly no one gets into the argy-bargy with me - instead, drivers
leave adequate room and they even wind their windows down at lights for
a chat; pedestrians call out to cheer me on as I ride along the road.
This mysterious transition is further amplified by the inclusion of my
Sky Blue Kit. Theories?

Tam

Old June 8th 06, 07:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote:
monsterman wrote:
[...]

I'm sure it would be amplified further if you start riding around in a
skirt!

Old June 8th 06, 07:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote:

That leads me to one of the great mysteries of our time: why I
suddenly become more visible when I don't tie my hair back in a plait
or a ponytail, but instead leave it loose. I mean, what's with that?

Yobbos also wear ponytails, only girls wear their hair loose. Loose hair
defines you as having tits, that's the attraction. :-)

Theo

Old June 8th 06, 08:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle

PHP code:
--------------------

--------------------
Theo Bekkers Wrote:

Yobbos also wear ponytails, only girls wear their hair loose. Loose
hair
defines you as having tits, that's the attraction. :-)

Theo

PHP code:
--------------------

--------------------

you've just ruined TimC's day Theo

--
monsterman

Old June 8th 06, 08:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote:
monsterman wrote:

[...]

Ummmm long hair == girl (maybe)
girl alive is a better bet for scoring with for bloke in hoonmobile than
girl dead

Doesnt explain why the women are suddenly nice to you tho.
Old June 8th 06, 08:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-06-08, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
monsterman wrote:
[...]

I dunno, but do you reckon it will work for me?

I've already had one arse grope. I gave back the best manly voice I
could.

--
TimC
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
The Ugly Bike [email protected] General 4 October 17th 05 02:43 PM
The Bike Show Danny Colyer UK 1 July 7th 05 10:24 PM
Bike lights - thank you and decision marco007esq Techniques 6 January 27th 05 05:50 PM