Bike lights to BS

Old September 23rd 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Stewart

Default Bike lights to BS

I've recently bought a Brompton bike for my weekday work commute in London.
I'm a bit confused about what constitutes the correct type of bike lights,
that meet British Standards.
Argos for instance selling all manner of LED bike lights, which as far as I
can see aren't BS compliant ? ? So why bother stocking these, unless of
course you want to compliment these with BS ones ? ?

So, if I buy a set that aren't to BS - am I using my bike (after dark)
illegally ?

Old September 23rd 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Nick Stewart wrote:
I've recently bought a Brompton bike for my weekday work commute in London.
I'm a bit confused about what constitutes the correct type of bike lights,
that meet British Standards.
Argos for instance selling all manner of LED bike lights, which as far as I
can see aren't BS compliant ?

The law was changed last October and quite a lot of things that
weren't kosher before are now. Flashing LEDs, for example. Though
the law has changed I have no idea whether the BS has.

So, if I buy a set that aren't to BS - am I using my bike (after dark)
illegally ?

Probably not now, and also the case that other EU legally compliant
lamps may well act as a suitable Get Out Of Jail.

Moving sideways from the actual legalities, if you want the cat's
pyjamas of lighting for your Brom get a SON XS dynohub and then
you'll always have your lights ready to go whenever you need them.
Doesn't add too much weight, no noticable drag when in use and
even less when it isn't, and no noise, slippage and engagement
faffs as with "bottle" types running off the tyres. A SON isn't
cheap, even less cheap when combined with similarly Top lamps, but
I'ce no regrets from putting a dynohub on my Brom.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 23rd 06, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Nick Stewart wrote:
I've recently bought a Brompton bike for my weekday work commute in London.
I'm a bit confused about what constitutes the correct type of bike lights,
that meet British Standards.
Argos for instance selling all manner of LED bike lights, which as far as I
can see aren't BS compliant ? ? So why bother stocking these, unless of
course you want to compliment these with BS ones ? ?

So, if I buy a set that aren't to BS - am I using my bike (after dark)
illegally ?

Here's a useful summary:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071
Old September 23rd 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ian henden

"Nick Stewart" wrote in message
I've recently bought a Brompton bike for my weekday work commute in
London. I'm a bit confused about what constitutes the correct type of bike
lights, that meet British Standards.
Argos for instance selling all manner of LED bike lights, which as far as
I can see aren't BS compliant ? ? So why bother stocking these, unless of
course you want to compliment these with BS ones ? ?

ITIYM "complement"...?

Old September 23rd 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ian henden

"Nick Stewart" wrote in message
I've recently bought a Brompton bike for my weekday work commute in
London. I'm a bit confused about what constitutes the correct type of bike
lights, that meet British Standards.
Argos for instance selling all manner of LED bike lights, which as far as
I can see aren't BS compliant ? ? So why bother stocking these, unless of
course you want to compliment these with BS ones ? ?

So, if I buy a set that aren't to BS - am I using my bike (after dark)
illegally ?

ISTR that you'd also be using it by day illegally!!!

But most plod would take the view that any light is better than the usual
non-light....

Old September 27th 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Peter Clinch wrote:

Moving sideways from the actual legalities, if you want the cat's
pyjamas of lighting for your Brom get a SON XS dynohub and then
you'll always have your lights ready to go whenever you need them.
Doesn't add too much weight, no noticable drag when in use

Do you SON owners who charge around at top speeds on your normal bikes
choose an XS hub? I understand that the drag from them is lower.

For someone who hardly ever rides at less than 20 km/h, would an SON XS
on a normal-sized wheel supply enough power?

Daniele
Old September 28th 06, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message

Do you SON owners who charge around at top speeds on your normal bikes
choose an XS hub? I understand that the drag from them is lower.

Yes, it probably would be lower (but not by much). But have you ever felt
how little drag there is anyway?

cheers,
clive

Old September 28th 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting D.M. Procida :
Peter Clinch wrote:
Moving sideways from the actual legalities, if you want the cat's
pyjamas of lighting for your Brom get a SON XS dynohub and then
you'll always have your lights ready to go whenever you need them.
Doesn't add too much weight, no noticable drag when in use

Do you SON owners who charge around at top speeds on your normal bikes
choose an XS hub? I understand that the drag from them is lower.

I don't think you mean the XS. The XS is the extra-narrow SON for
Bromptons which is marginally less efficient and wouldn't fit a normal hub
anyway.

For someone who hardly ever rides at less than 20 km/h, would an SON XS
on a normal-sized wheel supply enough power?

I think you are referring to the normal SON for wheels under 20". There's
no inherent reason that couldn't work, but do you really never want to see
where you're going when climbing hills? Also it would eliminate the
possibility of twin headlights or the Solidlights brick.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is First Leicesterday, September.
Old September 29th 06, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , David Damerell
') wrote:

I think you are referring to the normal SON for wheels under 20". There's
no inherent reason that couldn't work, but do you really never want to
see where you're going when climbing hills? Also it would eliminate the
possibility of twin headlights or the Solidlights brick.

You don't need much light when climbing. When overnighting with my
Lumicycles I confess to switching the front lights off on the uphills
(assuming no traffic, which is normal in the middle of the night in these
parts) to conserve battery.

Tony Blair's epitaph, #1: Tony Blair lies here.
Tony Blair's epitaph, #2: Trust me.
Old September 29th 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Simon Brooke :
') wrote:
I think you are referring to the normal SON for wheels under 20". There's
no inherent reason that couldn't work, but do you really never want to
see where you're going when climbing hills? Also it would eliminate the
possibility of twin headlights or the Solidlights brick.

You don't need much light when climbing.

You don't need much but with the 20" SON you'd get none in Cornwall-type
terrain.

When overnighting with my
Lumicycles I confess to switching the front lights off on the uphills
(assuming no traffic, which is normal in the middle of the night in these
parts) to conserve battery.

Part of the attraction of dynamos is not having to do that sort of thing.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is First Brieday, September.

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
The Ugly Bike [email protected] General 4 October 17th 05 02:43 PM
The Bike Show Danny Colyer UK 1 July 7th 05 10:24 PM
Bike lights - thank you and decision marco007esq Techniques 6 January 27th 05 05:50 PM