Qu-ax lightweight ISIS cranks for trials

Old July 3rd 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maximus unius

Default Qu-ax lightweight ISIS cranks for trials

Hi everyone,

Sometime this year (hopefully) I will be building up a new trials uni.
I'm going for light but strong. Originally, I was going to get 'Tensile
cranks' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1068), however
they are very expensive. Moments are heavy for my liking (at 610 grams)
as are qu-ax CrMo ISIS (at 510 grams).

So I was looking around and saw the 'qu-ax aluminum ISIS cranks'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1072). Very cheap,
very light (at around 380 grams) but it says they are not recommended
for big jumping. They are so cheap that I wouldn't really mind getting
a pair and seeing if they will hold up. I am pretty easy on my
equipment.

The thing is, if I get the aluminum qu-ax ISIS cranks and they bend, is
there a chance that the bending will damage the hub? I have no
experience with bent cranks, so I would appreciate it if you guys let
me know whether there would be any risk to my hub if the cranks bent.

Thanks,

Max

--
maximus unius
Old July 3rd 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

would seem unlikely, the material your axle is made from is much harder
than the crank material.

I have these cranks on my hockey uni, and the ST versions on my 36er,
and they are wonderful bits of kit. Might well be worth a shot if
you're not going to go too big or you have good form. Can't imagine
they'd be too good for crank grabs as the edge is heavily rounded off.

--
kington99

Dave

Old July 3rd 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendan

yeah at worst the crank will snap. I'd be quite up for trying them as
well actually, cause they come in loads of sizes so you could easily
give different sizes a go. shame they are 145mm, the difference is
suprisingly nasty between 140 and 145 on a 19" wheel

--
brendan
Old July 3rd 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

Ahh lucky, building a Trials Uni would be sooo much fun! If I were you,
this is all the stuff I would buy

'Saddle' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=953)
'Seatpost' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1069)
'Seatpost Clamp'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1206)
'Frame' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1073)
'Tire' (http://tinyurl.com/5v7q9k)
'Rim' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=806)
'Hub' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1071)
'Cranks' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=956)
'Pedals' (http://tinyurl.com/4r3abb)

I think that would be light, yet very strong.

Have fun building it though!

Isaac

--
isaac steiner

3rd*)---, '30ft Coaster~
Old July 3rd 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

Or these pedals too...

http://www.danscomp.com/465046.php?cat=PARTS#

--